Photo: Asia's 50 Best Restaurants
Eight restaurants from Singapore made it to Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants 2014 awards, with Restaurant André securing the sixth postion while being named The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Singapore for the second consecutive year. Chef-owner André Chiang also won the Chefs' Choice Award.
China has emerged the overall country leader on a ranking of the best restaurants across Asia, with 16 dining destinations snagging a spot on the top 50 list, followed by Japan and then Singapore.
Taking the coveted top spot on Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list, meanwhile, is Nahm, a restaurant in Bangkok helmed by an Australian-born chef described as a scholar of Thai cuisine.
This Thai restaurant in Bangkok serves authentic, centuries-old recipes in a sophisticated, contemporary setting, and has taken the top spot in Asia's 50 Best Restaurants awards Monday, 24 February. Pay a virtual visit to Nahm and sample Australian-born chef David Thompson's cuisine through these mouthwatering photos.
Lauded for reviving centuries-old Thai recipes with a contemporary and sophisticated flair, chef David Thompson doesn’t shy away from the punchy, bold flavours that characterize Thai cuisine – garlic, shrimp paste, chilies and lemongrass – but rather distills the flavours into elegant and memorable curries, salads, soups and relishes.
The list is compiled by a group of 900 international leaders in the restaurant industry, that includes food critics, chefs and restaurateurs.
After China, Japan scored ten addresses on the list, and Singapore eight.
Here are the top 25 restaurants in Asia:
1. Nahm, Bangkok, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Thailand
2. Narisawa, Tokyo, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Japan
3. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
4. Amber, Hong Kong, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in China
5. Nihonryori Ryugin, Tokyo, Japan
6. Restaurant Andre, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Singapore and Chefs' Choice Award
7. Waku Ghin, Singapore
8. Ultraviolet, Shanghai, China
9. Lung King Heen, Hong Kong, China
10. 8 1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong, China
11. Mr And Mrs Bund, Shanghai, China
12. Iggy's, Singapore
13. Caprice, Hong Kong, China
14. Les Amis, Singapore
15. Bo Innovation, Hong Kong, China
16. Ishikawa, Tokyo, Japan
17. Jaan, Singapore
18. L'atelier De Joel Robuchon Hong Kong, China
19. Fook Lam Moon, Hong Kong, China, Highest Climber - up 29 places
20. Jungsik, Seoul, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Korea and Highest New Entry
21. Sra Bua By Kiin Kiin, Bangkok, Thailand
22. Quintessence, Tokyo, Japan
23. Tippling Club, Singapore (New entry)
24. Le Mout Restaurant, Taichung, S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Taiwan
25. L'effervescence, Tokyo, Japan (New entry)
Here are some other notable winners:
Chefs’ Choice Award: Chef Andre Chiang, of Restaurant Andre, Singapore; also The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Singapore
One To Watch: Tenku RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
Highest Climber Award: Fook Lam Moon, Hong Kong
Asia’s Best Pastry Chef: Janice Wong, Singapore
Highest New Entry Award: Jungsik, Seoul, South Korea
The Diners Club Lifetime Achievement Award: Ivan Li of Family Li Imperial Cuisine in Shanghai
Asia’s Best Female Chef: Lanshu Chen of Le Mout, Taiwan
S. Pellegrino Best Restaurant in China: Amber, Hong Kong
S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Japan: Narisawa
S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in India: Bukhara
S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka: Nihonbashi, Colombo (No.44)
S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Indonesia: Sarong, Bali
S. Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka: Nihonbashi, Colombo
S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Taiwan: Le Mout
For the full list, read here.