The use of oats makes this baked chicken recipe even healthier. For best results, marinate the chicken pieces the day before.
Recipe serves 4
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 20 minutes
1 whole chicken (around 2.2kg), cut into 8-10 pieces
½ cup (125ml) milk
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon coarse sugar
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon ground pepper
For the oat mixture
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (quick cooking) oats
Extra olive oil for drizzling
1. Combine milk, salt, sugar, pepper and mustard. Soak chicken in milk mixture and cover for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour. For best results, let it stand over night in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 200ْC. Mix flour, oats and seasoning together in bowl, set aside.
3. Dip each piece of chicken into the oats mixture. Press to allow the oats to coat properly.
4. Place chicken pieces, skin-side down, in a greased baking dish. Drizzle with some extra olive oil.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.
6. Serve chicken immediately.