Mixing tomato sauce with cream gives the sauce a lovely flavour and turns it an irresistible shade of pink. The boys would like this recipe too.
Recipe serves 4
Preparation time:8 minutes
Cooking time:20 minutes
400g penne, or any dried pasta of your choice,
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8 rashers bacon, sliced
[Optional] 2 tablespoons white wine
200g brown mushrooms, sliced
2½ cups tomato pasta sauce, canned
½ cup cream
20g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a rolling boil and add salt. Add penne and cook according to packet instructions. Drain pasta under cold running water and set aside.
2. Place olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced onion and fry for about 2 minutes, or until slightly soft and translucent.
3. Add bacon and fry for a further 2 minutes. Then add white wine (if using) and scrape the bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Cook for a further minute until the wine evaporates.
4. Add mushrooms and fry until most of the moisture is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Then add pasta sauce and stir.
5. Add cream and stir to combine and allow sauce to come to a boil. Once it starts bubbling, reduce heat and cook for 30 seconds more.
6. Taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Turn off heat.
7. When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the sauce. Stir to mix and serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.