Oats are mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon, egg, and milk, poured over fresh berries, and baked. The texture is light, moist, and satisfying. Because it’s hands-off, this dish is particularly suitable to serve to guests.
Recipe serves 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 cup blueberries
½ cup strawberries, chopped
1½ cups rolled oats
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups milk or soymilk
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the streusel:
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1. Place oven rack in the middle spot and preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 4-cup baking dish.
2. Scatter 1 cup berries into the bottom of the dish.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the oats, walnuts, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. Scatter over the berries.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, egg, vanilla, and butter. Drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Run a spoon through the mixture once or twice to gently combine.
6. For the streusel, in a small bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, butter and walnuts with your fingertips until moist crumbs form. Sprinkle the streusel on top.
7. Bake until the oatmeal is golden on the top and set, about 40 minutes. Serve warm.
In her former life in the United States, Yvonne Ruperti was a pastry chef, bakery owner, magazine writer, and cooking show co-host on America’s Test Kitchen TV. Now based in Singapore, she still writes for SeriousEats.com and maintains her own food blog. When not at work, she is busy concocting up recipes for a new cookbook.