Photo: Mervyn Phan
An excellent dish for guests, a simple rice salad is stuffed in sweet capsicums, topped with cheese and baked. You can do without the cheese for a healthier option.
Recipe serves 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
4 large yellow capsicums that are able to stand upright
2 cups cooked rice
80g French beans
100g canned corn kernels
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
10g coriander, minced
100g shredded cheese (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Blanch the French beans in slightly salted boiling water for 30 seconds before draining and dicing.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the rice, diced French beans, corn kernels, diced tomato, olive oil, coriander and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Carefully slice the top of the yellow capsicums off and reserve the tops as garnishes. With your fingers, remove most of the seeds and white membrane in the core of the capsicums. Tap out all any remaining seeds.
5. Stuff each capsicum with the rice salad. Top off with the shredded cheese if desired.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the capsicum turns slightly soft or when the cheese starts browning.
Mervyn is the owner and resident organiser of cooking parties at Cookyn with Mervyn. From his city studio kitchen, Mervyn guides fellow food lovers in preparing restaurant-style dishes in a fun and surprisingly easy way.