Photo: Yvonne Ruperti
Super moist with coconut milk, full of chopped coconut, and with a pretty white glaze, this cake is made for entertaining. For easy mixing, make sure that your butter is really soft, and wash the bowl before stirring up the icing.
Recipes makes one bundt cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
For the cake batter
285 grams unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
1 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons (370 grams) fine granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups coconut milk
1 cup (85 grams) shredded sweetened coconut, chopped
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups (285 grams) cake flour, plus more for dusting
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
For the glaze
1 cup (115 grams) icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1/3 cup (28 grams) shredded sweetened coconut
1. Place an oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
2. To make the cake: In a large bowl, whisk the butter, sugar, and salt until creamy.
3. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until each is incorporated. Whisk in the coconut milk, chopped coconut, and vanilla. Add the flour and baking powder to the bowl, then stir until just combined.
4. Spoon the batter into the pan and bake until golden, just firm, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.
5. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan to cool completely before glazing.
6. To make the glaze: Stir the sugar and coconut milk together in a bowl until smooth. Spoon over the top of the cooled cake, letting the glaze drip down the sides. Sprinkle the coconut over the top.
In her former life in the United States, Yvonne Ruperti was a pastry chef, bakery owner, magazine writer, and cooking show co-host on America’s Test Kitchen TV. Now based in Singapore, she is a baking instructor for the CIA in Singapore while continuing to write for SeriousEats.com. When not at work, she is busy slurping ramen, hunting down craft beers, and handing out treats to the neighborhood cats. Follow her on Twitter.