One of the best ways to prepare prawns is to grill them as it retains their natural flavour. Grilling also gives the prawns a smoky aroma. For best results, get meaty jumbo prawns, but any prawns would work.
Fresh off the grill, these prawns are served with a chili lime dipping sauce with sesame seeds and chopped coriander leaves. This simple yet appetising condiment delivers sharp and bold flavours.
Makes 20-24 servings
1 kg prawn, remove the heads and devein
2-inch ginger, peeled
2 tablespoons coriander roots
½ teaspoon salt
Butter, for grilling
Chili lime dipping sauce:
2 tablespoons lime juice
5 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
¼ teaspoon sesame seeds
1. Soak the bamboo skewers in water overnight. (This prevents burning during grilling.)
2. Using a mortar and pestle, pound the ginger and coriander roots until they become a fine paste. Squeeze the juice and discard the residue.
3. Marinate the prawns with the juice and salt for 1 hour.
4. Blend the chili lime dipping sauce ingredients in a sauce bow and set aside.
5. Thread each prawn onto a bamboo skewer and set aside.
6. Fire up the grill and grill the prawns on one side and then turn to the other side until cooked. Brush butter on the prawns while grilling.
7. Transfer the grilled prawn on a serving plate and serve immediately with chili lime dipping sauce.
Check out these recipes as well:
-Chicken and mushroom gyoza
-Prawn crackers with ground pork and peanut relish
-Mini egg tarts