Photo: Yvonne Ruperti
Moist red velvet cake topped with a sweet creamy frosting is a fan favorite, and couldn’t be easier when it’s just stirred by hand. Make sure the butter is really soft, and wash out the bowl before making the frosting.
Recipe makes 12 cupcakes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the cupcake batter
85 grams unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (200 grams) fine granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup (160 ml) buttermilk, room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 1/3 cups (190 grams) plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting
285 grams cream cheese, softened
55 grams unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (55 grams) icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place an oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, stir the butter, sugar, and salt until combined. Whisk in the oil, then the egg, egg yolk, buttermilk, vanilla, and food coloring until completely combined.
3. Add the flour, cocoa, and baking soda to the bowl, then whisk gently until combined.
4. Scoop the cupcakes into the cupcake cups and bake until just firm, about 18 to 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting: In a large bowl, whisk the cream cheese, butter, and confectioners’ sugar until combined and creamy. Add the vanilla and continue to whisk until the frosting is slightly lightened, about 30 seconds.
6. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of frosting on each cupcake to frost.
In her former life in the United States, Yvonne Ruperti was a pastry chef, bakery owner, magazine writer, and cooking show co-host on America’s Test Kitchen TV. Now based in Singapore, she is a baking instructor for the CIA in Singapore while continuing to write for SeriousEats.com. When not at work, she is busy slurping ramen, hunting down craft beers, and handing out treats to the neighborhood cats. Follow her on Twitter.