Making your own teriyaki marinade from scratch is easy and a much healthier option. These skewers can be baked in the oven or cooked over a barbeque grill, making this a fun activity that reaps nutritional benefits for both parents and their children.
Recipe serves 4
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time:15 minutes
4 chicken thigh or breast fillets, cubed
400g or 1 can pineapple cubes in syrup, drained
3 tablespoons olive oil
For teriyaki marinade:
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup mirin, a sweet Japanese cooking wine made from glutinous rice
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Place all the ingredients for the teriyaki marinade into a bowl and whisk until most of the sugar has dissolved.
2. Place cubed chicken pieces in the bowl of marinade and mix well to coat. Keep this covered, in the fridge, for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with foil.
4. Thread the pieces of chicken and pineapple cubes through a bamboo skewer, alternating the chicken and pineapple.
5. Brush with olive oil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turning the skewers over after 10 minutes so that both sides cook evenly.
6. Remove from the oven and arrange on a plate. Serve immediately.