7 Adam has closed.

Summary

Wagyu beef cappacio, Lamb rack, Hokkaido scallop, Japanese pork fillet View all
Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Business Dining, Dinner, Lunch, After Work, Chillout, Romance/First Dates, Wine Lists, Ala Carte, Anniversary, Hidden Find, Nice Deco, Relaxed, View/Scenery, Corporate Events, Fine Dining, Girls Night Out, Large Groups, Quiet View all

Reservation not honored as restaurant was not ready to open for the day: unapologetic & unresponsive

Service 1

I had the most appalling experience at 7 Adam this morning. I had successfully placed a reservation for 7 to celebrate my birthday over brunch at 7 Adam at 11am, which was the stated opening hour on the restaurant's Fb, amongst other websites. I have a revs code and email.   Upon arriving at 11.10am, we were puzzled by the 'Closed' signage hanging on an opened gate, a visible dark restaurant with tables still in upturned position and the front glass door locked. The restaurant was clearly not ready for receiving patrons for weekend lunch. I called hungrygowhere to double check and was told that the restaurant opens at 11am. Meanwhile, some cars which have arrived had turned and left, presumably feeling as quizzical as we were. About 15 minutes had ensued when a uniformed staff appeared at the main door of the restaurant. We asked her if it opens at 11am and she said no it opened at 11.30am and if we wanted, she would open the front door. We were astonished because we had made a reservation for 11am and she seemed to suggest that we had made a mistake, the restaurant will remain closed unless we wanted to enter. Her tone was one of disinterest.    Considering that we have with us a hungry 10 month old baby and a 2 year old toddler, we decided that it was unwise to enter and wait indefinitely for the tables to be set, kitchen to be set up before our ours could be taken and served. We left disappointed. Besides my birthday celebration, I was considering 7 Adam as a potential venue for my daughter's one year old celebration. Indeed, the art pieces energized the previous guild house with a warm vibe and a buzz. However, the bewildering lack of professionalism and explanation on the part of 7 Adam points to its undependability and lack of grace,  thereby skidding my enthusiasm for the place to a halt, even before I could sample the dishes

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) 7 Adam

Mediocre Meal at Restaurant Week 2014

Having read several reviews on 7Adam, I decided to give it a shot during Restaurant Week. Arguably, $35++ is a reasonable price for a three-course meal, and I tempered my expectations as I understood that some aspects of the quality of the dishes would have to be compromised upon for economical reasons. Unfortunately, even with my lowered expectations, the meal failed to impress and displayed anything but creativity.

The first course was a pan-seared Hokkaido Scallop on Mesclun Salad tossed with Ponzu Dressing. The pan-seared scallops were not crisp enough on the surface and could have been more tender on the inside. In addition, the ponzu dressing was salty and lacked any depth nor dimension to it.

The second course was a choice of Guinness Beef Ragout or Pan-seared Seabass. The food was at room temperature and the beef ragout was slightly tough. Presentation-wise, there was nothing special about the dish. The only redeeming factor would have been the gravy, which consisted of a slightly sour tang.

Next up was a soup which was overly oily. The last item on the menu - also the most disappointing - was the dessert, which was black glutinous rice served with coconut milk (pulut hitam). In my opinion, this not only reflected a lack of creativity on the restaurant's part, but also bespoke of its laziness in the way it did not bother to concoct up something interesting (especially given that this was Restaurant Week).

All in all, the meal was a forgettable one, and the standard of the food makes me wonder whether 7Adam truly deserves a spot on the list of Restaurant Week establishments.

New Chef, Better Food

I never have a good impression of 7 Adam initally. We were there for dinner last year and the food was not up to expectation. The pilaf rice was tasteless, the duck confit was too tough, the baba pork ribs was too sweet… it just didn’t work for me and quite a disappointment. So when the restaurant manager contacted me and told me they had changed their chef and menu, it took me a while to consider if I should give them another chance. I am glad I did.

Read more: http://www.misstamchiak.com/7-adam-new-chef-better-food/   With a new Chef de Cuisine, Reynaldo P. Arriola, helming the kitchen, 7 Adam’s new menu offers European cuisine with a dash of Asian influence, giving guests a multi-dimensional palate experience. He was with The Halia and joined 7Adam since October 2012.   If you have been to Halia, you probably will remember Chef Reynaldo’s signature Sauteed Risotto Soja. Chef had previously spent five years in France, training under French chefs like Thierry Marx at the two Michelin-starred Chateau Cordeillan Bages. This dish was actually a challenge set by Chef Marx, that is to cook a dish that represented Reynaldo’s home, and he came up with this. It has since been in the menu at any restaurant he works in.   Chef’s Risotto of Sprouts ($22) is not an ordinary risotto dish. The risotto was made from bean sprouts and served with braised oysters, sliced truffle, emulsion of mushrooms and wine. The crunchiness of the bean sprouts provided the “mouth feel” which ordinary rice could not have achieved.   Wagyu Rump Steak ($30) is not the best steak I have eaten but still good for its price. The meat is flavourful and tender and served with ginger, oyster sauce, trio of capsicums, truffled baby potato mash with bacon crisps.   Asian Spiced Australian Lamb Racks ($42) had the lamb marinated in asian spice for 6 hours. The marinade permeates the lamb’s meat before grilling it to medium. It sits beautifully on a bed of ratatouille peppers and sauteed potatoes, served with rosemary and port wine jus. The lamb slid off the bones easily and ratatouille gives a tangy flavour to the dish, which is an interesting twist to the classic.   Overall, I think Chef Reynaldo has displayed daring creativity by giving his European dishes an Asian twist, such as adding Southeast Asian spices to them. The food is good enough for repeated visits and the prices are friendly.

The management of (Closed) 7 Adam responded to this review:
18 Jun 2013
Dear MissTamChiak, Thank you for giving us a second chance at 7 Adam. We are glad that you enjoyed new Executive Chef Reynaldo’s offerings and we hope that you would return to patronise our restaurant again soon. Do let me know if I could be of any service to yourself. Yours Sincerely, Adam Restaurant Manager

French cuisine with an Asian twist

Housed in a colonial bungalow in Adam Park, dining here guarantees a unique location, free parking and away from any crowd. Dining on a Tuesday night, the restaurant was quiet. The option of an al fresco dining area was certainly attractive, especially in the cool of the evening, surrounded by lush greenery. The restaurant was less than 2 years old and the new chef only arrived less than 6 months ago with a new lunch and dinner menu to boot. The menu was mainly French cuisine with Asian fusion. Being a NUSS Guild House member will get you 20% off the listed price. There was also a promotion 1 for 1 wine during Happy Hour (3-8pm for public, whole day for Guild House members) and a separate promotion for Sapporo beer. Overall, although the pricing was a bit steep, you are also paying for the ambience.

Appetisers:

My favourite was the pan seared Hokkaido scallop ($20). A single big, juicy scallop sits atop salad. The 3 bell pepper soup ($14) was a close 2nd favourite. 3 different types of bell peppers made up the soup which was prepared in a thick and creamy texture.

Other items tried include iberico ham with truffle oil & cherry tomato; wagyu beef carpaccio with shallot ($20) which also served well to whet the taste buds.

Main course:

Asian spiced lamb rack ($34) was my personal favourite. Done medium well and lightly seared on the exterior. Served with sautéed potato and ratatouille. I’ve actually never had lamb done medium rare before, but I certainly appreciated the texture and bite to the meat. The seasoning camouflaged much of the lamb taste.

The group favourite main course item was the pork rack. No heavy porky taste and the meat was tender with a nice bite.

The cod dish was average as a fish dish on its own. However, it is not the same variety of cod which I’m familiar with. For those who expect the usual silky soft, sweet, white cod, you will be surprised.

Dessert:

My personal favourite was the fruity pudding which came with single scoop of vanilla ice cream. The experience was like eating a warm fruit cake. The sweetness of the various fruits married well with sweetness from the vanilla ice cream.

Youzi sorbet was simple, light and not too sweet dessert to end the meal.

Poached pear stuffed with honey mascarpone within it promised to be the most elaborate dessert, but I didn’t think it was outstanding. Nevertheless, it certainly offered an interesting alternative for diners to try.

Apple tart with vanilla ice cream was another safe and standard dessert  to tie up the meal. Crust of the tart was firm with a nice bite to it. It wasn’t too sweet and went well with the ice cream.

Service was personal and attentive. However, being a food tasting session sponsored by HGW, I can’t comment anything more than that as service could potentially biased. I will need to return again to comment more.

Heaven is a place at 7Adam

For more photos, please visit Rubbish Eat Rubbish Grow.

7Adam, an art gallery-c**-restaurant, is housed in an enchanting black-and-white colonial house. The house, amidst serene, lush verdure, has a long history of 60 to 80 years and it is said that most of the battles in Singapore for WWII were fought on this very hill. You can buy the art pieces, which change every 8 to 10 weeks.

Currently on display are works from the 15 year-old prodigy, Dawn Kwan. After her, the batik artist, Sujak Rahman.

The art pieces are used as decor so you can see how your house walls will look like. The architecture of the colonial house is amazing. When we reached there, Jasper from six-and-seven was already there and he said, “OMG OMG, this place is so beautiful!” As you walk up a flight on stairs, on your left is the Light Room, a room flooded with warm sunlight, giving a very lazy Sunday atmosphere. On your right, the Cozy Room.

The Cozy and Light Rooms form the centre of the house. You can go to the East or West wing via one of these gorgeous corridors. The tables along the corridors are suited for couples, very quiet, romantic and intimate.

In one wing, there is a bar with a laidback sofa.

Since we are at the bar now on this cyber tour, we tried two preprandial cocktails and one mocktail. For mocktail, we had Adam’s Special ($10), a virgin mojito, with 7up, mint, sugar, and lime. On a hot day, the drink would be refreshing and thirst-quenching. Damnshiok! But we wondered if the price was too high for something without alcohol. That is the general impression of the food and drinks, that the price can be 10-15% lower.

For the cocktails, Chiobu picked Tiramisu Martini ($22) and I, Creamilicious Kit Kat($23). Tiramisu Martini tasted a bit of chocolate, a bit of coffee and a whole lot of martini. Chiobu didn’t like it because the alcohol was overpowering so I took over and it was ok.

Creamilicious Kit Kat, on the other hand, was a resounding success. Concocted out of bailey’s, chocolate syrup, milk and Kit Kat ice cream, Melicacy said, “I’m usually repulsed by alcohol..” and finished a glass in 2 minutes and then ordered another one. Jasper said, “This is the BEST cocktail I’ve ever had” and then ordered a second glass. CY, who used to write for Hungry Epicurean, chimed in, “I want an encore too!” The reason why they liked it, I suspect, is because it tasted like Kit Kat milkshake, even the texture was full of small ice bits, like a smoothie. But because it is so deceptively easy to drink, you get drunk without knowing it. Clearly, the drink is not for someone who likes a stiff one but there are wines, whiskeys, brandies, sakes, and champagnes here too.

Happy hour from 5pm-8pm with 1-for-1 for some beers.

Continuing our tour of the colonial house, down the same wing, you come to an open space. WOW. This is the perfect brunch location. Extremely leisurely, exuding anambience of hermitage, far from the madding crowd, you know, like Blue Lagoon (the movie) or those Shaolin temple shrouded in clouds where you have to climb a million steps to reach. 7Adam intends to build a playground for children, so parents can brunch in peace. Brunch will commence only in April. So watch for announcements on RERG facebook and twitter.

On the other wing, there is a private room that can house 16 to 20 people. My birthday is coming, so this is definitely one of my options.

Still on the decor–I am so lor soh (longwinded)–7Adam reminds me a lot of Au Jardin. Obviously, they are both colonial houses hidden amidst luxuriant foliage. Au Jardin appeals, I think, to an older crowd of class and sophistication and old money. 7Adam is also classy but it is edgier. You can tell from the decor and ambience. The black-and-white checkered floor tiles are mirrored in the black and white table cloth but to break the staid monotony, there are neon-colored stools. Unlike Au Jardin which plays classic vocal jazz (like Ella Fitzgerald), 7Adam plays contemporary easy listening, French songs, and Katie Melua, etc, so you can tell 7Adam targets yuppies, people in their 20s-40s who are financially and mentally independent.

The food: The menu is created by celebrity chef Jimmy Chok, known for his fusion dishes. A French chef has taken over and in March, while most of the food items will remain, he will launch a new set lunch menu and a new dinner degustation menu.

The complimentary baguette came hot! But unfortunately, there wasn’t a free flow.

For starters, we had 7Adam Trio ($30) consisting foie gras, seared tuna loin and crab cake. Of the three, the crab cake is my favorite. Made of AA quality crab meat with crunchy tri-colored capsicum bits, breaded thinly, deep-fried to a crisp, the taste was ever-changing, complex and indescribable. With the wasabi mayonnaise and tomato chili jam (similar to the taste of cai-po, you know, the thing you put on chwee kueh), it tasted, in turns, Western-ish, Mexican-ish, Japanese-ish, and Singaporean-ish. Very awesome.

The second is seared tuna loin with a salad. The tuna was ordinary but the salad stole the show. The cherry tomato was actually cooked/roasted? It gave the impression that it was raw and firm but when you put it in your mouth, it bursts and wow, such sweetness. The surprise came almost like the very first peach you ate in your life. What is also worth mentioning is the salad dressing. The PR said it is balsamic reduction but I thought–and I may be wrong–I tasted something tangier and sweeter, almost like teriyaki sauce. The dressing went very well with the rocket, contrasting and complimenting the bitterness of the green.

My least favorite is pan-fried foie gras with black vinegar and crunchy apple. There was slight sugar added, which caramelized onto the foie gras, giving it a wonderful taste. It tasted like childhood, actually. But it lacked a vital, vital essence of foie gras: foie gras is suppose to be firm outside and melt like butter in your mouth. But this one was firm. That being said, I’d rather eat a firm foie gras than a mushy one like the one I had at Les Amis.

Pan-fried sea bass in tomato kaffir lime salsa ($25) is usually served in a fillet but for the purpose of our food tasting where we shared food, the chef cut it and stacked it up. Such a gorgeous plating, displaying the texture, the striae of the fish and the golden-browness of the skin!! Unfortunately, like an Abercrombie and Fitch salesperson, its good looks didn’t mean it tasted good. It was somehow fishy, dry and bland.

The PR told us linguini with portobello and spinach ($28) is her favorite and we agreed it was excellent. The pasta was slightly over al dente, so it was softer, which I like. People who detest spinach, a very Asian vegetable in this Italian dish, usually don’t eat it because of its sliminess. But the cream covered and blended with the spinach so that it seemed as if it was a strand of green linguini. And that d*** delicious tomato again. I am not a tomato person, in fact I hate it but in this instance I must ask, Y U NO give more?!?! The more I ate the pasta, the more it grew on me. It was not explosively mindblowing; it was a subtle fondness.

I said that the Novus’s steak was the best looking piece of meat I have ever seen and I wanted to marry it. Do you believe in bigamy? Because I do. This braised lamb shank($32), with kaffir lime couscous, was so HOT! It had this animalistic magnetism to it. It’s like the Novus’s steak is Brad Pitt, pretty boy, while 7Adam’s big bone of a lamb shank is Hugh Jackman. And we all know Hugh Jackman is a beast… a very delicious beast.

An interesting story regarding this lamb shank. There was a tingling on my tongue and I asked the rest of the food reviewers if they tasted something spicy. They all said no. The PR asked the chef and the chef said that the sauce is made of hoisin, garlic…and wait for it…just a tiny pinch of… wait for it.. chili powder! I’d like to thank my parents for giving me such a sensitive tongue.

Mixed reviews for this lamb shank. Chiobu said it had the stench of lamb. Melicacy said no have. I thought while the sauce covered the stench–so there wasn’t a stench–the taste was only ok, a tad dry.

What I would recommend instead is the braised wagyu beef cheek with mashed potato ($35). (Sorry, no photo, the wagyu was inferior next to Huge Jackman Lamb Shank so it refused to photograph properly.) It had that melt-in-your-mouth tenderness but it also had a something extra that most beef cheeks don’t have. Most beef cheeks are tasteless, usually the sauce (red-wine sauce?) is glazed on the surface of the meat, but at 7Adam, you could taste the sauce permeating past the surface. I’d like the sauce to be thoroughly infused into meat but at least 7Adam is in the right direction. The mashed was thick and satisfying, one of the better mashed around.

For the readers’ sake, we tried ALL the desserts. Sigh, my hard life. The vanilla ice cream, with fresh strawberries, pepper and balsamic ($12) in the first photo above – well, don’t order it. It costs the same price as others but there isn’t a “main lead” in the combination. However, the rest of the three desserts were good to excellent.

Poached pear in red wine with vanilla ice cream ($12) provided an alternative to non-chocolate eaters. The sourish red wine with sweet vanilla ice cream was nice but it wasn’t anything jaw-dropping.

Chocolate souffle ($12) came in a small souffle cup and the dark, dark chocolate, bitter with a tinge of sweetness, was delicious and addictive. The other chocolate option ismilk chocolate mousse on a thin wafer with peanuts ($12). A smidgen of it stood lonely on the plate and I didn’t ask if the rest wanted it. I just snatched it for reunion with its family in my tummy. It tasted like smooth peanut butter. I took the last mouth for the souffle too. Usually Melicacy is the one who takes the last piece, so you know how much I liked the chocolate desserts.

I don’t usually mention the service when I go for food tasting but the manager with a soul patch, Mr Shah Majid, deserves a mention because I noticed that he served the ladies before the men. This is the correct way of serving. He also asked after us a few times, whether we were fine.

Directions: It is easy to miss the 7adam. As you travel along Adam Road, the side where Singapore Bible College is, you’ll see a SPC petrol station. Immediately after the station, maybe only 5 meters away, there are two roads named “Adam Park.” Turn left at the 2nd Adam Park street. FREE PARKING! Yes, no need to pay for my lorry.

Overall, we left feeling satisfied with the ambience, decor, quality of food and service. I almost didn’t want to write this review because I don’t want to reveal such a lovely, quiet place. It is a completely different world from the terrible traffic on Adam Road. We will return. Perhaps when it opens for brunch?