Review for Alkaff Mansion Ristorante

Address: 10 Telok Blangah Green, 109178

+65 6884 6884
13 Oct 2013

Post-Invited Tasting Revisit

For the full review, please see http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com

We returned for a revisit, unfortunately, right dab smack in the middle of Restaurant Week, so the restaurant was swarming with diners. Even so, the food was still excellent. Service, however, suffered due to the full-house, because the kitchen was consequently (but somewhat understandably so) overwhelmed. There was an inordinate gap between the courses that left our stomachs growling and us filling up on bread. Notwithstanding the long lag-times between courses, the wait staff were still very much engaging, genuine, witty and friendly.

One great thing about this out-of-the-way locale is the complimentary valet parking. Even if you don't drive, the staff here are very happy to call for a cab for you so you don't have to lift a finger after dinner.

We ordered the same stuff sampled at the invited tasting, and all were very well-received. Of particlar note were the Salmon Carparccio, Beef Short Ribs and Tiramisu. All are must-trys and should not be missed.
The management of Alkaff Mansion Ristorante responded to this review:
20 Jan 2014
Dear The Hungry Bunny
Thank you for dining with us at Alkaff Mansion Ristorante.
We appreciate that your efforts in writing this review. We are glad to know that you had an enjoyable dinner despite the wait between courses. We would like to apologize for the lag-times which you had experience due to Restaurant Week. Nonetheless we are pleased to know that our service staff were ‘still very much engaging, genuine, witty and friendly’.
Nonetheless, we assure quality foods are served to all our valued customers. Do visit us again for the other dishes. We look forward to have you dining with us soon!

Warmest Regards
The Management
Alkaff Mansion Ristorante

More reviews of Alkaff Mansion Ristorante

One of the Most Romantic Restaurants in Singapore

For more photos, menu and full review, click here.

One of my favourite restaurant in Singapore, in term of ambiance. The price tag is a little more expensive but it's the perfect place for a romantic date. It’s always a pleasure to visit Alkaff Mansion. Despite the higher-than-average price tag, it’s truly a different dining experience that is reasonable to pay for the extra bucks. There is no pressure to leave right after dining. Grab a patio couch near the outdoor fountain area that’s dimly lit with a tea light and enjoy the rest of the night under the moonlight. This place will always be at the back of my head when my friends ask for recommendation for a classy romantic dinner venue.

A Great Lunch At Alkaff Mansion

This is my first time coming to Alkaff Mansion for lunch, as all of my previous dining experiences here were for dinner.

Alkaff Mansion is a colonial style mansion that has been restored to its former glory, with nicely manicured lawns, and a 2 storey mansion where you can dine in opulent old-world ambience.

We came here for lunch with some business contacts.

Here are the highlights of our meal:

- Sesame crusted tuna. Pan fried blocks of tuna meat sliced to pieces, with a pink rare middle. A nicely-presented appetiser.

- Warm octopus salad. Sliced grilled octopus leg, with fresh greens, tomatoes, orange and pine nuts. Dressing is light and refreshing. Absolutely loved the pieces of octopus within.

- Branzino Al Sale Con Flamma: Oven baked sea bass in salt served Flambe. Moist and tender fish within. The unveiling. When the skin of the fish is peeled back, the steam rises from the meat. Quite a sight!   - Homemade squid ink tagliatelle with assorted seafood done Cartaccio style. The pasta was wrapped up in a clear plastic wrapper. After it’s presented at the table, the wait staff untie the wrapper and fold the edges around the plate. It’s quite neat! Almost like receiving a birthday present and then unwrapping it to reveal the pasta within! Pasta is nicely done and tasty. The mussels and clams were also fresh and yummy!   - Porcetto Sardinian Style - Slow-cooked Sardinian style suckling pig with roasted potatoes. Really fork tender and tasty. A memorable dish that will stay with me for a long time. Yummy!

- Rack of lamb. Nicely grilled and pink in the middle. You don’t get the overwhelming ‘lamb smell’. Nicely done.

To end off the meal, we had some desserts:

- Tiramisu. Nice presentation, with chocolate sticks 'growing' from my Tiramisu. Loved the moist finger biscuits within the lovely mascarpone cream.

- Fresh mint panna cotta with mixed berries and raspberry sauce. This dual layered panna cotta has made me a fan. The top of the panna cotta is mint based and the bottom is a traditional panna cotta with vanilla seeds mixed in. so yummy!    A great nostalgic ambience to dine in!   The food quality here is good and it is definitely on my go-to places for Italian food.
Overall

Historically good - food and ambience

Alkaff Mansion Ristorante occupies this beautiful property restored to the glory of yesteryear, complete with a sleek garden with fountain, as well as open terrace for al fresco dining. This exquisite, award-winning Italian restaurant serves up authentic Italian fare for lunch, dinner and weekend brunches. They started a Grigliata Grill concept lately as well.

The interior is grand, elegant and romantic, complete with dim lighting and large chandeliers, a modern touch to the carefully-restored vintage floorings of the colonial mansion. Tables are well-spaced, and choice of furniture is luxe and comfort combined, making for a good dining experience. Private dining rooms are available as well. Service is a little slow and has room for improvement. Music was also American pop at one point, which was a little odd against the posh Italian settings of this retaurant.

For starters, we had the Pan-seared Hokkaido Scallops (SGD$28.00) with Cauliflower Purée and Avruga Caviar. I needn't describe the popping sensation of the delicious caviar - tiny but robust. The scallops were orgasmic - springy in texture, contracting firmly under the knife and expanding juicily again thereafter, catching the teeth with its delicious flavour.

For mains, *V had the Homemade Veal Ravioli (SGD$28.00) in Alba Truffle Cream Sauce and Porcini Mushrooms. The pockets of minced veal was utterly soft and smooth, melting lusciously in the mouth with the robust, solid truffle cream. The mushrooms added flavour and texture to the creation, bringing it one step closer to heaven.

I chose the Porcini Mushroom Risotto (SGD$28.00) Superfino Aquerello with Thyme. Flavour was distinctive and sapid in an earthly manner, with the aroma piercing the senses sharply; the dish was smooth and creamy - a little too creamy; the risotto became like congee literally.

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to visit:

Over-rated "authentic Italian" dishes

This place is great for young guys who wanna impress their dates. The atmosphere is good except for its staff and the crowd, which seem generally young. Turns out only young people will tolerate its sub-par service and so-so "Authentic Italian" dishes.
Overall

Ended up with a bad experience with valet

Visited this restaurant ytd for my friend's birthday but it ended up with a bad experience. Because of this bad experience, we will not return to this restaurant anymore.

Checked the website and it said "complimentary valet parking after 6.30pm everyday". We reached close to 7pm, the valet told us, (exact words) "there is a carpark (free) and he pointed to an open carpark just down the hill or u can valet. this is the valet here" Okay so we went with the valet since we were already right outside the restaurant.

When we left the restaurant to pick up the car, the valet told my friend. (this is his exact words) "I told you the free parking is there already right, this valet must pay." In an accusatory tone no less. Pls note he did note said anything about chargeable valet at the start. It was not even chargeable at all according to the restaurant. My friend actually took out her wallet to look for some smaller notes to pay him but she only had $50 notes. And she even asked "oh so how much?" and he said "up to you". Think about it, if it is payable, why is it "up to you", why is there not a fixed fee? I could have given him just $1 right?

I asked again because I clearly saw the detail about complimentary valet parking after 6.30pm on the website so I told him that, he just insisted that free parking is down at the hill but the valet service is not free. Erm. I think we all know what "complimentary valet parking" means. His tone was really bad and I just kept clarifying that he should check with his management but he just dismissed it. It went on abit more because we do not have smaller notes but he said ok "dont have nvm but I have written down your carplate #, next time I know already ok nx time I know already." I'm sorry? Whatever for & what are you trying to say?

We left the place fuming but I called the restaurant to let them know what happened. They confirmed it is indeed complimentary & the valet is under another mgmt so they will report this to them. I appreciate this gesture but honestly, the bday night for my friend is ruined. The restaurant should communicate this sort of things clearly to their vendors & not allow such dishonest act to happen. It seemed like the valet just wanted to earn some quick buck. It is such a pity because we had the best panna cotta here, food was not bad too and dinner service was good. We were planning to return to the restaurant, but because of this bad experience, it ruined the visit, ended up in bad taste and I just want to avoid another experience like that altogether.