Review for Ambush (Junction 8)

3.1

DessertsEuropeanItalianPizzaWestern
Address: #02-19/20/27, Junction 8 Shopping Centre, 9 Bishan Place, 579837
13 Jul 2014
Overall

Good service and nice ambience

Standards have dropped over the years. Food does not come piping hot sometimes and taste is compromised. Portion not exactly big, perhaps good if you have a small appetite. However, service is really good at most of the outlets and ambience is nice, great for gatherings.

More reviews of Ambush

nice fuss free lunch

dropped in for an early lunch on a friday and was pleasently surprised. lunch sets were reasonably priced and i really enjoyed my burger set - $12.90 with a soup and drink.

TASTE GOOD

very honesty dishes, good for its value, tried the risotto, platter & escargot, all r above avg except the mushroom soup, too much flour.
Overall

MY FIRST VISIT THERE WILL BE MY LAST!!!

I WENT THERE FOR DINNER YESTERDAY WITH MY WIFE AS JUNCTION 8 WAS TERRIBLY CROWDED AND THIS PLACE BEING ON THE 2ND FLOOR OF THE NEW WING SEEMED TUCKED AWAY FROM THE SIGHT OF MOST PATRONS.  AFTER ORDERING MY STEAK, IT CAME WITH A DIFFERENT DONENESS(WELL DONE INSTEAD OF THE MEDIUM WELL WHICH I ORDERED).  SINCE THIS WAS MY FIRST TIME HERE, BUT I HAVE EATEN STEAK IN MANY DIFFERENT RESTAURANTS IN SINGAPORE, I EXPECTED THE USUAL "How is your steak?" or "Is your steak done correctly?" QUESTION TO BE PUT TO ME BY THE WAITER.  BUT THEY DIDN'T DO IT AND SINCE I WAS HUNGRY(SAME WORD IN HUNGRYGOWHERE!), I ATE THE STEAK TO FULFILL MY URGENT NEED FOR FOOD.  I SIMPLY COULDN'T WAIT ANY LONGER FOR THE WAITER TO COME TO ME OR COOK ANOTHER STEAK(IF IT WAS MEDIUM WHEN I ORDERED MEDIUM WELL, THEN THEY COULD JUST COOK IT A LITTLE LONGER; BUT SINCE IT WAS TOO WELL DONE, THEY WOULD HAVE TO COOK A FRESH STEAK!).  NEARING THE END OF MY MEAL, I FELT THAT IF I DIDN'T BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF THE RESTAURANT MANAGER FOR A DISCOUNT, IT WOULDN'T BE FAIR TO ME AS I DIDN'T GET WHAT I ORDERED.  SO I LEFT 2 REASONABLY-SIZED PIECES OF STEAK FOR THE MANAGER TO SEE AND CONFIRM THAT THEY DID INDEED SERVE ME AN OVERCOOKED STEAK AND THEREBY JUSTIFY GETTING A FAIR DISCOUNT FOR IT.  THE MANAGER CAME TO ME WITH THE BILL AFTER HIS ASSISTANT HAD CONFISCATED THE BALANCE OF MY STEAK AND OFFERED ME A 10% DISCOUNT ON THE STEAK ONLY FOR THEIR MISTAKE!!!  I SAID THAT IT SIMPLY WASN'T ADEQUATE TO COMPENSATE ME WITH 10% SINCE I RETURNED MORE THAN 10% OF THE STEAK UNEATEN AND HAD SUFFERED EATING THE OTHER 80+% NOT TO MY LIKING!  THE VERY RUDE AND IMPOSING MANAGER THEN SAID "Take it or leave it as that is the most I can do!".  IN UTTER DISGUST, I STARTED TO RAISE MY VOICE AND THE NEXT TABLE WAS VISIBLY DISTURBED, THUS PROMPTING THE MANAGER TO SOFTEN HIS STAND AND HE OFFERED ME 10% OFF THE WHOLE BILL INSTEAD.  I PAID THE BILL AND LEFT THE RESTAURANT TO THE MANAGER'S RELIEF, AND FELT COMPELLED TO VOICE THIS GRIEVANCE OUT FOR ALL RESTAURATORS TO SEE AND LEARN FROM THIS SOUR EXPERIENCE.

nice place

Always the first choice when we at junction 8, nice food and service too, strongly recommend restaurant

subpar food, atrocious service

Terrible food, terrible service.

Was quite grumpy that evening and wanted to enjoy a good meal along with good service to cheer me up and end the day on a good note.

This restaurant called "Ambush" caught our attention. It looked like it had a nice and cozy environment from the outside, and had the slogan "Fast Casual European Dining". It looked and sounded appealing, so we decided to go for it. At the entrance, we were 'greeted' by an attendant who didn't seem to acknowledge our existence, and even had the cheek to have a casual convo with another employee while we were left hanging. We shrugged it off and tried to look past it cuz we were hungry. As we sat down, the first thing that came to mind was that the food had a high price tag. But we figured that the service, environment and the food itself would be worth it. Boy were we wrong... After we made up our minds as to what we wanted (i ordered a salmon fillet spaghetti in thai basil sauce that was 14 bucks, while my friend ordered squid ink spaghetti for 13), we tried to get the attention of an employee to take our order for what seemed like eternity. There were several times where we had made eye contact with the waitress/waiters with our hands up high, and they simply ignored us and walked away as if they didnt see us. When we finally got a waiters attention, he took our orders hastily, as if he was rushing off somewhere. At this point of time, we figured that the food should do the price tag justice. When the food arrived, it was shoved in our face, clumsily placed on the table, and yet again seemed like she was rushing off somewhere. The food was lukewarm, tasteless, portions were small and my salmon fillet was dry and hard.