I have this continuous craving for a Mexican Burrito for the past week.
This is my go-to place, as its centrally located at Dhoby Ghaut, and the food come quick when you need food to go.
I rounded up several friends and we came to Baja Fresh for dinner recently.
Each of us ordered what we liked and we shared amongst our dining group.
Here are the highlights:
- Baja Bowl with Chicken: $10.95. Actually served in a plate, with rice, beans, grilled vegetables, onion, cilantro, cut chicken cubes and drizzled with salsa. Reminded me of a cross between a pizza and Chinese rice. The salsa topping is mildly spicy. Its nice and I will order this again.
- Burrito Mexicano with Pork Carnitas: $11.95. This was what I had come for. The burrito was chockfull of ingredients: rice, beans, salsa, chopped onions, cilantro and pork carnitas. Shredded cheese was sprinkled over the burrito and toasted then laden with a brown mildly spicy sauce. Definitely good to share, cos the portion is quite big and sharing with someone else means you can eat other stuff!
- Tacos Baja style with Mahi Mahi: $12.95. This was corn tortilla filled with salsa, chopped onions and cilantro with fish. Sour cream was served on the side. The ladies in my group liked the healthy dining feel for this dish.
- Quesadillas with Pork Carnitas: $11.95. We ordered the regular sized quesadilla. The tortilla was filled with Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and pulled pork. It’s pre-cut into 4 slices, so its like eating an appetiser. All of us loved this and it’s a must-order!
- Quesadillas with Shrimp: $12.95. We couldn’t get enough of the pork quesadilla and ordered ordered another quesadilla with prawn instead. The prawns were grilled. I personally preferred the pork version better.
- Chicken Tortilla Soup: $5.95. The soup looks like tomato soup with slices of avocado and cheese at the bottom. Its tasty and not spicy, despite the staff informing that its spicy. Tasty and a good order for days when you need something soupy to warm your tummy. Try it!
- Dessert - Churros: $4.50. Freshly made, and its served nice and hot. Its coated with fine cinnamon powder and sugar. You can eat it on its own, or order chocolate sauce to dip the churros in for that chocolate-ty flavour! Must-try!
For drinks, they have a wide variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages: Margaritas (Lime/ Blue), Sangria, a range of beers (Corona, Asahi, Tiger, Erdinger, Hoegaarden and Somersby Apple Cider) in addition to the usual Juices, soft drinks and hot beverages.
I had the Corona Beer, Blue Magarita and Lime Magarita. The blue margarita was special cos of the blue color and the ladies in my dining group loved it. I liked the lime margarita.
Overall, a great place to . Price-wise, its not expensive, compared to a sit-down restaurant. Good value-for-money.
I had a craving for a Burrito last Friday and the craving just didn’t go away. I managed to convince my colleagues to make the trip to Baja Fresh which is located at Grand Rendezvous Hotel, at Dhoby Ghaut.
They have set lunches available for $10, and you have a choice of 6 sets to choose from.
We decided on 3 different sets so we could try a variety of dishes:
- Burritto Mexicano: Baja rice, black pinto beans, mild salsa, fresh onions and cilantro wrapped in a flour tortilla with chicken. Loved it. The rice is tasty and helped fill my tummy.
- Quesadilla: Warm grilled flour tortilla filled with jack cheese and chicken. Served with fresh guacamole, fresh pico de gallo and sour cream. Tortilla folded in half and grilled. Like eating a pizza. The guacamole and sour cream were also good and went well with the quesadilla.
- Taco: 2 small flour tortilla filled with chicken, salsa and cheese. Its served ‘open-faced’ so you need to hold it up and eat it. Careful, the fillings may fall out on the opposite side when you eat it.
All the above orders came with a small bowl of tortilla chips which you can eat by itself, or pick your favourite salsa from salsa bar counter. There are 2 types of hot salsa and the milder Pico De Gallo (which is chopped up tomatoes and onions in a mildly spicy tomato juice.
Soft drinks are at $2.60, which you can help yourself from the drinks dispenser. They also have margheritas and beer to go with your meal.
If you are craving for taco to go, this is the place to go.