Bistro Soori has closed.

Summary

Ambience4
Scallops, Salmon, Cured Roasted Pork Tenderloin, Lamb, Risotto with Uni and Yuzu, Scallop Carpacio, Seabass, Steak, Sweet jelly, Tuna skin, apple compote with foie gras shaving, duck confit, fish of the day, pandan souffle! View all
Dinner, Romance/First Dates, Hidden Find, Quiet, Private Dining, Lunch, Business Dining, Fine Dining, After Work, Chillout, Girls Night Out, Brunch, Corporate Events, Large Groups/Gathering, Wine Lists View all

Decent food but disappointing service

Went to Bistro Soori with a few girlfriends last Saturday (8/9/12) to celebrate my friend's birthday. I'm usually too lazy to write any food reviews, but the service at Soori left me feeling terribly sorry for having recommended the place to the birthday girl that I felt compelled to leave a note here for others and also the management (if they can be bothered to check out this space). As stated in the title, the food was above average and as reviewed by others here, pretty decent. However, the service was definitely wanting and not up to par given the price we paid that night (about S$400+ for a group of 4).

Here is my list of complaints: 1. The restaurant took forever to take our food orders - restaurant was understaffed for a Saturday night, and we had to ask a few times before a waitress came to take our orders.

2. We asked for wine recommendations and we were informed point blank that no one in the restaurant knew anything about the wines served at the restaurant as the manager was on leave i.e. no one could help us out with our choice. Huh? We don’t expect all restaurants to have sommeliers but shouldn't the wait staff have at least some basic knowledge of the wines being served?

3. When the food came, the waitress just plonked the plates anywhere she fancied without first checking who had ordered what. In the first place, shouldn't the waitress take note of the orders made by each person when taking the orders? There were only 4 of us - come on, it's not that hard or confusing. In any event, if she's not sure, shouldn’t she ask us before placing the food down on the table? She did neither of these and we had to shift the food around amongst ourselves and feel ridiculous doing it.

4. When we made our reservation, we asked about corkage charges for the champagne that we intended to bring along, and were informed that there wouldn't be any if we ordered alcohol from the restaurant. When the bill came, they charged us S$40 for corkage, and we had get them to reverse the charges.

I think I've said enough. Basically, I don’t see myself returning to the place anytime soon. Some basic training for the staff is in order here. I’m not worried for the restaurant though since Singaporeans have high tolerance for bad service as long as the food is decent. And indeed, this may be why the restaurant is indifferent about staff training.

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) Bistro Soori

Delightful menu that aims to impress

Bistro Soori is a fusion restaurant with a modern concept with immense pride in their attention to detail in every dish. This thoughtfulness exudes through their food which diners can enjoy through the melange of flavours.  My choice for starters was the seared US scallops that was doused with a good deal of mango miso puree with sprigs of salad made of mango salsa and frisse. I enjoyed it tremendously because the scallops were so fat, juicy and fresh! The beautiful searing of the scallops made it even more enticing.  Another starter dish that impressed us was the pan-seared foie gras that was accompanied with caramelhead apple, mixed greens drizzled with balsamic reduction sauce. The foie gras can be described to melt in the mouth instantly. I know this delicacy is surrounded with controversy, but well, it was really good and well appreciated.   This is my main course of linguine pasta soaked in cream sauce, lobster, spinach, parmesan with seasoning from herbs basil and chilli. The sauce tasted really special and one of its kind, with a waft of coconut milk in its fragrance. The pasta was cooked al dente and the lobster was also very fresh - peeling it from its shell was effortless. This is the slow roasted chicken breast with portobello confit, arugula rocket salad, pistachio with truffle vinaigrette to dress. While the chicken was really tasty and well-marinated, I wished it could be a little more crispier and succulent. Not a fan of rocket salad either, but the portobello mushrooms did stand out despite not being the star ingredient of the dish. The risotto with scallops, prawns, yuzu and parmesan garnished with Thai basil was much appreciated as well, a little on the savoury side and generally really enjoyable. I liked it the most out of all the main courses. My favourite time of every meal is the desserts: this was my first choice of desserts (actually, I was tempted to get all of them for myself) with a classic dark chocolate lava cake, berries syrup and good ole vanilla ice cream that everyone loves. The lava cake was really cold on the outside and flows beautifully when sliced open, with very rich dark chocolate. Oh, I can't continue describing it without craving for it right now. This was my choice of dessert ultimately because I was attracted to the seared vanilla pudding and salted caramel elements which I knew would be a surprise because my imagination had limits on how it would unfold. While it was slightly sweet, the vanilla ice cream and almond flakes that accompanied it neutralized the cloying tastes and I simply loved this. Desserts must be one of Man's best inventions.   Curious about the plating? Visit my blog for pictures and more dish evaluation: http://www.amiehu.com/2014/05/bistro-soori-teck-lim-road.html

The Silent Treatment

For the complete review, visit

On a weekday basis, Bistro Soori offers up a 3 course set lunch for an unparallelled price of $39.90. A real steal in my opinion. Further inspection revealed a menu that aims to please as many palates as possible.

I started with the Sauteed Garlic Prawns, Mixed Greens, Red Wine Vinaigrette. Coming to appreciate it's smaller portions and hefty anchoring of greens only later in the meal when the three courses started to weigh me down. The sweet and bitter mix of greens together with the vinaigrette giving the dish unexpected depth of flavor. The prawns - politely seasoned with a wonderful sear on it's exterior.

There was one shortfall: the lack of showmanship you would expect from an open kitchen. There was neither the casual interaction between chef and diner nor the heated exchanges between fellow chefs. All that existed was a heat-load of bodies moving gracefully around each other, no words exchanged, a well-oiled machine. Befitting of it's pristine, cool and chic surroundings perhaps; but I would have loved to see a little bit of life injected.

An espresso cup of Tomato soup followed soon after the starters were cleared. Perfumed with absolutely no spices whatsoever; I gently nudged away the bowl of piping hot soup (burnt the roof of my mouth a little). Yes, there were the clean flavors of the tomatoes predominantly but the kitchen put zero effort into it's flavor profile. I might as well be biting into a tomato straight up.

My Duck confit was perfectly cooked, sided by a Asian influenced spinach and mushroom salad dressed to the nines in a Balsamic Reduction. I tasted a hint of Chinese rice wine amidst the dressing that added a considerable layer of flavor complexity. And one could also comment on the slightly overwhelming splash of dressing, but in the grand scheme of things and the dish's near perfect execution, that would be tantamount to splitting hairs.

Lately, I haven't had much luck with desserts at restaurants. Bistro Soori made an addition to that list.

Pandan Soufflé, Cookie, Strawberry Compote. This created stirs around the table every time a perfectly puffed version gets summoned from the heated enclaves of the oven. Yet what we got was a wet mess of eggy flavoured innards underneath that green sheath that suggested either an improper incorporation of the creme patisserie with the eggs whites or egg whites that were beaten way past their prime. My Caramelized Banana Puff, Rum Syrup, Vanilla Ice Cream didn't fare much better with over macerated bananas that looked clumpy and unappetising. (I spied rather whole looking banana slices on my neighbours table previously.. CONSISTENCY.. they probably scraped the bottom of the barrel on this order). To make matters worse, my puff pastry was raw. A slight tearing apart of the layers revealing a pastry chef's worse nightmare.

I could have done without the desserts.

Minimalist Designs and Modern Dishes on Teck Lim Road

To be completely honest, there aren't many fusion restaurants in Singapore that excite us at the moment. Don't get us wrong—there are a select few that stand out, but the majority of them tend to confuse rather than fuse. Enter Bistro Soori, one of the few fusion restaurants with an assured sense of identity behind their food.

his tiny spot on Teck Lim Roads happens to be a venture of Soo Chan, the principal of the renowned SCDA Architects. White, clean and minimalistic, Bistro Soori exudes a fresh modern vibe in the dining room, and we love the neat bar where you can watch the chefs in action as you dine... Read the full review at http://urbanjourney.com/food-and-drink/bistro-soori-teck-lim-road-singapore-674

Soori - Soori-ght

I came here after an esteemed colleague recommended it.

It's in the increasingly chic Teck Lim Road (Esquina, a Spanish Tapas is just up the road, as are several up and coming bars and coffee shops), and just over the road from the many bars of Duxton Hill and Chinatown.

Being a Tuesday, the gaff was relatively empty, and we were wondering a little if we hadn't been better off going to the packed and lively Esquina. No doubt though,on a Friday or a Saturday night, the ambience would have been a little warmer, and off-set the cool clean lines of the minimalist interior design.

Being a special occasion, my companion and I opted for a five course tasting menu, washed down with an agreeable Pinot Grigio. This is usually a "surprise" tasting menu, but having seen the review of the scallops elsewhere on HGW, we put in a request, and we duly rewarded with some lovely plump scallops, topped with zingy pesto sauce.

Next, some foi gras. I am considering banning myself from eating this (have you read what they do to the poor geese?) but this is as delicious as any I have tasted, though it's not my favourite delicacy. The lobster followed, relatively diminutive in size, but fresh, cooked to perfection, and served with a delicious, rich, flavourful sauce.

My favourite of the night, a melt in the mouth, slow cooked short rib beef, with a red jus, some marinated small onions and roasted asparagus. Mighty fine. If this is on the ala carte menu, I will opt for this as my main next time.

Rounding off the evening, we had the Pandan Souffle which was as light, puffy, as you'd expect.

Despite the "Bistro" tag, I'd put this up a few notches than a casual neighbourhood eatery. Warmly recommended.