Back to (Closed) Black Gold#01-104, 7 Tanjong Pagar Plaza

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining3 votes

Ang Moh Foodie
 • 29 Sep 2012 56 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Full review with pics at:

This is definitely a hidden gem of a place... the owners here serve as well and are very personable. The man there roasts his own coffee and likes to experiment which is very uncommon here. The chef is French and a clear window into the kitchen allows you to inspect his work.

The food here is all good, very very good and cooked properly, seasoned properly etc. My only critique is that the menu never seems to change and having some new items would certainly encourage us to come back more frequently. I also wish they would try to make French onion soup....

Again, the food is very very good. First we've had the chowder and mushroom soups. The mushroom soup is definitely made in house and doesn't have the typical taste that every other restaurant in Singapore seems to have. The salmon is tender and moist with sauces that perfectly compliment. The stew meat is tender and the sauce just tastes as it's supposed to. The potatoes are always soft and crispy also. Finally the creme brule is a great portion size and tastes like it should, creamy and smooth but not too sweet.

This is very likely the best value French food in Singapore. The place doesn't leave you feeling like you're in a cafe in Paris, it's more like a high class type hawker centre for one restaurant if that makes any sense?

After Work, Dinner, Hidden Find, Lunch, People Watching, Private Dining, Quiet

Huiling Xu
 • 22 Jun 2012 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I worked at the Tanjong area and have been passing this

cafe for many months. I usually grabbed breakfast at the

outlets at the MRT station. However,since I was early today, I decided to pop by the cafe. Some French songs was playing when I arrived and the waiter greetings was bright

and cheery. I ordered the crossiants and they are delicious and only

for $1.50! I was told they were freshly baked that morning. My cappuchino was done to perfection and the coffee smelled very good while it was being made. I wasn't

expecting such good coffee and food at a void deck . The

staff were friendly and took time to explain to me about my cappuchino when I asked them. I saw the lunch

and dinner menu - they looked good and very resonably priced

too - no GST and service charge !!! I'll be back to try their lunch

and dinner. And from now I know where to go for my breakfast and

cuppa!
Brunch, Cheap Eat/Budget, Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, After Work, Chillout, Quiet, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Hidden Find, Wheelchair Friendly, Live Band, People Watching, Pet Friendly, Breakfast

Derrick Poh
 • 16 Jun 2012 1 review 20 followers
this is a hidden gem.

under the point block #7 at Tanjong Pagar Road, you wouldn't expect to find a cafe like this here.

we went there for our Father's Day Dinner and this cafe didn't disappoint!

At first look, it may not seem anything like a french cafe but it's quirky cos despite advertising heavily to have french cuisine, they do have some local offerings too! For one, their coffee is called Changi and Temasek, a specially concocted brew and it is a really fragrant and tasty cuppa! For only $1++, it's definitely worth it!

Their dinner set had various offers - ala carte, a 3 course (~$38) and a 4 course (~$48). For a top up of $7, you could get wine to go along with your meal.

For starters, we had a very delicious mushroom soup along with some buns. Though the buns were hot, the tasty soup more than made up for it.

we settled for a few different main courses and what stood out was the duck leg confit (excellently done!) and the salmon. If you're into lamb, you could also try out the lamb shank which i had, and it was beautifully cos the meat wasn't tough, melting in your mouth and the scent of lamb wasn't too strong. it also came with a mash potato which really tasted very good.

For dessert, a specialty of theirs is the warm lava cake with chocolate and lavender sauce! the lavender sauce has a really unique taste and it's worth trying it if you're getting the set meal.

All in all, i really enjoyed my dinner there and it's a nice after work place to explore.

Lunch, Dinner, Children/Family, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, After Work, Private Dining, Quiet, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Live Band, Breakfast