Review for Brasserie Gavroche

EuropeanFrenchWestern
Address: 66 Tras Street, 079005
11 Mar 2012
Overall

people found this review useful Was it useful to you?Yes

More reviews of Brasserie Gavroche

Overall

Brasserie Gavroche - excellent!

Found this resturant recommendation on one of the food blog and wanted to give it a try. After much researching especially from the reviews given on this webby, I was slightly apprenhensive with the 50% score. Right after stepping into the resturant, I have to say all doubts were immediately blown away. The service from the start to end was top-notch, and honestly one of the  best service I have yet received in Singapore. The service staff were attentive yet not intrusive, was prompt yet not forceful. I honestly do not understand all the negative response that was given previously. The whole atmosphere was in line with what I expected of dining in a French restaurant - laidback coupled with its exquisite dishes. The main course we ordered (pardon me I have limited knowledge in frech cuisine) Welsh Lamb Rump was done to perfection and while the Hand-cut Beef Tartare was slightly salty, this could be down to personal preference. I would definitely recommend Brasserie Gavroche if you're looking for a exclusive, romantic & classy restaurant to bring your date to !
Overall

poor service despite having lost our reservation

We planned to go tho the restaurant for dinner for a special occasion. The restaurant called us in the morning to confirm our reservation. When we arrived, they had lost our reservation claiming that it is not their system. The owner and chef was present and insisted that there is no available tables as our booking is not in the system. This is appalling service. His restaurant staff had made a mistake and made no effort to rectify the problem. He then offered us a small high table when there is five of us including 2 young children and a 70 year old. Truly appalling service for a mistske that they created. In addition, the owner / chef is arrogant and did nothing to placate the angst he created. We then went to Gattoparde where the service is excellent and they tried their best to accomodate us despite an almost full restaurant. The food and ambience is excellent too!

Felt out of place...

Finding this place was already a little of a challenge. They don't hang any signs of indication that this is Brasserie Gavorche. Upon entering, I was greeted professionally by the host/ cashier who was a French guy, seated down at a corner seat and given the menu. Then I was told of that day's specials and quickly given some bread to munch on. I noted quickly this was the exact ambience I felt when I dined overseas In Europe, I didn't feel like I was in Singapore at all! full of expats and the working crowd. Not for youngsters and people who Are not familiar with French dining. I love French food, and so yes, was impressed by the menu and could dine at ease, but my friend who knows nothing much about French dining, felt entirely out of place and needless to say, intimidated. The service staff is professional - I'll give them tops for that. But lack any heart. No smiles, and look at guests (whether foreigners or not) as if they are a bother. You won't receive BAD service, they are quick to look out for signs of needing to be served, etc, but you will feel like you are a burden to them. I looked around and caught the eye of one of the servers, and he came forward to ask if he would like to take our order. I apologized and said I'm sorry, My friend is still on the phone. I was just looking around. The waiter gave me a Look of tolerated frustration, i even felt bad for coming in around 1:30pm and promptly left at 2:30pm to prevent any angry stares. They do have regular diners - and treat them warmly I saw. But other than a warm hello, that was really all they gave. After that, service was back to "the cold professional" style. Food-wise : I'll not say it's tip top as well. I had the rabbit - which was undercooked, although the potato croquettes were heavenly. My friend's lamb was extremely good though! We had the crepe Suzette which was a huge disappointment - too much too much of the alcohol, I wasn't even tasting any orange and felt the alcohol burning my throat. I hope that the management will actually read these reviews and improve - no one enjoys stuck up service. It doesn't matter whether one is French or can pay for a $1200 vintage, if they continue with such service - they won't last for long. (And I don't just mean the restaurant, I mean the service crew). Coming from someone who is in the restaurant industry, and knowing the fierce competition in Singapore - I would say they need to review their operation methods and take greater care in their food (it feels like they have taken for granted that everything would be good because of their established name). There are many many more French restaurants out there, working hard to vie for the hearts of diners, and just because you have a French head chef and some French waiters ... I'm sorry to say, do not make the cut. I apologize this has to be a harsh review, but in light of what I viewed from the management, it seems they need a good wake up call for their rather snobbish attitu
Overall

Pathetic service with mediocre food

A place for the snobs and SPGs.  Big disappointment on the service and mediocre but over-priced food. Not surprised to read similar negative reviews from other diners especially the locals. This place seems to be only interested to serve expatriates.

Excellent. Simply.

I genuinely don't understand Brasserie Gavroche only has a 52% approval rating right now on HGW. This is one of the best best French restautants in Singapore. It's consistent, food is excellent and the service is great.

First came across on it City Nomads and it completely lives up to the rep.

It's not cheap but if c'mon. if you wan cheap food, go eat at a hawker. If you want quality roast lamb, steak tartar and great wine. Come here.