Reviews for (Closed) Charco's (Marine Parade)

HalalMediterraneanPortugueseWestern
Natasha Ng

Great place for roasted chicken & ribs

My friend was craving for ribs and wanted to go to a cheap place to eat and suggested Charco's at Marine Parade. We ordered the Lamb Ribs with 3 kinds of salad and a half Charco's Chicken with creamed potatoes and peas. It was in a air-conditioned hawker setting with outdoor seating and since it was at night and the inside was pretty stuffy, we sat outside. The food was pretty quick to arrive and it was warm as well. The ribs might have cooled down very fast as we sat near the fan.. But we couldn't complain. We had Lamb Ribs with Potato Salad, Seafood Salad and Caesar Salad. The seafood salad used to be better and we were only given chunks of crabmeat although we saw prawns amongst the crabmeat in the display, none were given to us.. The meat on the ribs were easy to fall off, although the bone was bigger than the amount of meat covering it. The half chicken came with creamed potatoes and peas. I must say, I LOVE the creamed potatoes. As the name suggests, the sauce is creamy with cheese and it was smooth. Nothing matches best with the thick slices of potatoes. The chicken was tender with its juicy goodness still inside the meat.. The skin was nice and crisp. I would recommend this place if you are looking for a cheap quick fix of roasted chicken and ribs rather than spending a bomb at a restaurant.

04 Mar 2012 • 1 review • 0 follower

Great place for roasted chicken & ribs

02 Jan 2012 • 259 reviews • 7 followers

spicy portuguese chicken!

For photos and more reviews, visit us at http://foodphd.wordpress.com!

Charco’s Portuguese Chicken sure packs a spicy punch! The Portuguese Chicken  was pretty spicy and had a mild Malay/Indian spices taste. The entire chicken skin was well-grilled and well-flavoured. In fact, it was the skin which was spicy and flavourful, not the interior chicken meat. We enjoyed the thigh meat more as it was very tender, unlike the tougher and drier breast meat. The chicken was rather small and a group of four could easily finish a whole chicken. Prices start at $7.00 for a quarter chicken, $10.00 for 1/2 chicken and $19.00 for a whole chicken.

Ribs
20 Feb 2011 • 1 review • 0 follower

Ok lah.

This is my first time trying lamb ribs anywhere as there is none that I know off in SG that is halal. So i do not have an expectation to compare with.

The first time I went here was a disappointment as a long queue had formed and half of it was turned away because most of the items were sold out. This was last month. I cam back today at an earlier time (about 7pm) hoping it would not happen again, and it didn't! There was no queue although the place was about 70% full.

So you order at the cashier and was greeted by a young lady. Not a friendly sort though. We took sometime to order and my mom made changes once or twice and she didn't look too happy.

Ambience- expect food court style environment. but not too noisy though as it is quite a small foodcourt, there's a choice of indian food from another stall. Drinks are bought from the foodcourt drinks stall

Food- Ordered Ribs, Ribs with yellow rice and Beef Ribs.

Ribs- The ribs has been cut nicely for you and you get about 7-8 ribs. It is marinated with a yummy sauce and it came warm..more on this later. It comes with 3 salads which amount to a portion to feed 1 and a half tummies. you can choose the salads and I got the caesar salad, seafood and egg. seafood salad was basically choope crabsticks in mayo and it goes the same for the egg salad.

Beef ribs- came in 2 pieces with lots of beef around it. Both were nice and the texture is soft. Reminds me of briyani beef. ALso came with 3 salads.

While walki pass the kitchen to the toilet, saw that the ribs were prepared in advance. This probably brought down the quality a little. Maybe should have made it in smaller batches to ensure that it is fresh everyitme.