Back to (Closed) Chiso Zanmai#02-17, The Central, 6 Eu Tong Sen...

Fried fish3 votes
diy vanilla soft-serve ice cream3 votes
Buffet16 votes
View/Scenery6 votes

Mizutaki Chicken Hotpot Top-up @ $5/pax. Other deals are available, find out more

Melody Ng
 • 16 Apr 2014 17 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Bf and i have always been wanting to try this buffet given that it was soooo cheap. We tried to make a reservation online but couldnt as it was full. We thought" wow. this must be pretty good huh?"Our expectations were up and when we reached there about 11.20am, the queue was so long, it had about at least 20 people in it. Those people who made the reservation also had to queue as they had to queue to pay. So there really isnt any difference as long as you reach the restaurant early.

we were seated at a place where the view was pretty good. but what killed it was the number of people there. There were so many people there there, all queuing to get the food that we felt like we were queuing for some free food that is given by the community centre.

There was a reasonable amount of variety but food were placed too closed together and the queue was so long just to get the food. It was queueing and queuing all the time whenever we wanted to get any food.
Due to the huge crowd, the refills were not in time too.
I went up to the buffet line up to 5 times but couldnt get the steamed egg that i wanted.

Quality of the food wasnt fantastic too. The only saving grace was the pork kakuni. Even the sashimi didnt taste good. It was mushy for some unknown reason and it was not sliced professionally.

The ramen was terrible as the soup didnt have any taste and there werent any ingredients in it. Most of the food there were carbo carbo and more carbo. Like oden, rice, fried rice, fried udon, tempura with lots of flour, ramen and sushi. The tako balls there had no ingredient in it but it was soft though. but then again. carbo.

Many said that the desserts were nice. WRONG.
it was terrible too.
The menu indicated that there was chocolate panna cota with oreo. but i saw nothing of that there.
And some other item were not there as well like octopus etc. It was so disappointing and the cakes there wasnt nice, the mini swiss rolls were hard, matcha egg tarts- nothing to shout about. mochi was not nice at all.

We were so disappointed and vowed never to come again. Even especially so when the amount of people actually did lower the dining experience.

if you ever happen to want to go there. just a tip. if you see something you like, grab it right away, coz the next round, u may never see it already.

Must tries: pork kakuni

Weighty Man
 • 27 Feb 2014 667 reviews 78 followers
Overall
A fairly new Jap buffet suitable for the small eater

I usually eat lots of sashimi at these types of buffet but could not do it here. they are stingy with the salmon only sashimi.

Food: however this gave me a chance to try other Jap food.

The tempura was good, sushi fresh, chawamushi hour and tasty. garlic fried rice was tasty and fresh.

highlight must be the dessert section. 3 types of mochi, small pieces of cake and soft ice cream. All tasty.

overall s good experience at a very low price.

Samuel L
 • 09 Oct 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall

I'm writing this with great displeasure to inform of my recent experience at Chiso Zanmai despise the decent spread of good-tasting food offered.

Just yesterday, 8/10/13, me and my friends, a group of 5 headed down to The Central for a birthday celebration dinner at Chiso Zanmai. We noticed that part of the floor section was closed (the area with nicer decor and interior, closer to the dessert section).

We made reservations beforehand and were being seated at the open, high-ceiling area. When we arrived, we requested for the floor manager to have our seats shifted to the nicer seating area. Unfortunately, the floor manager politely denied our request and explained that due to the lack of manpower, they were unable to cope with more tables, and that the area was closed. Understanding the situation, we agreed to stay put at where we were seated. No fault here.

However, towards the end of our dinner, a Caucasian couple walked into the restaurant and we happen to overhear the floor manager readily allowing their request to be seated in the closed section without any persuasion.

I took the initiative to have a chat with the floor manager to understand more on his decision in allowing the couple in the closed section and what i got as an explanation was that "They are having an important discussion". Upon hearing this, i did not probe further as i believe nothing can be done at that point to nullify our displeasure with the different treatment in service.

Taking this opportunity, i would like to pose 2 questions:

-Based on the response of the floor manager, does it mean that my friend's birthday celebration dinner is less important than that of another guest's dinner?

-Does the quality of service rendered at Chiso Zenmai vary according to the race and nationality of its patrons?

With all this being said, I would not foresee myself or any of my friends patronizing Chiso Zenmai anytime in the near future.