Back to Chock Full of Beans#01-2090, 4 Changi Village Road

Relaxed4 votes

Desmond Poon
 • 20 Jul 2014 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Very good coffee. Full of aroma. Staffs are friendly. We had some nachos but will certainly be back yo try their food.

ArcticStar
 • 15 Jun 2014 209 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Tucked away in a hidden HDB block is Chock Full of Beans, filled with a steady stream of patrons coming and leaving. Tonight the Beau and I drove all the way to its location at Block 4 Changi Village Road #01-2090, Singapore 500004 having heard positive reviews about it from various sources.

Done in warm, cosy earth tones and comfortable wooden tables, Chock Full of Beans exudes inviting vibes to passerbys as well as its current customers. It was not a huge cafe but its open location made for good traffic and is easy to spot.

I had the Linguine Pesto with Chicken (SGD$16.00) - with chicken, pesto, garlic, cherry tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Before I sprinkled on the usual (obscene) amount of Tabasco sauce and chilli flakes, we tasted the pasta in its original form. It was surprisingly tasty despite the deceptively simple ingredients and name. The flavor was strong and came as a punch to me especially, expecting it to be bland or average. The pasta also held up well on its springy (QQ) texture despite the sumptuous (olive oil?) gravy it was draped in.

The Beau selected the Spaghetti and Beef Meatballs (SGD$17.00) - beef meatballs, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese and parsley. This was another palatable dish with a strong tomato-based flavor, bouncy pasta and meatballs that were succulent and chewy.

The Beau waited close to 20 minutes (we were informed of the waiting time) for his Ice Hazelnut Latte (SGD$6.50). The cat / tiger created out of foam was indeed very adorable, making it appear almost cruel to have to slurp it up eventually. The 3-D latte art is only available for selected iced beverages by the way. The hazelnut taste was very strong, its creamy nut flavor hitting us in pangs of deliciousness. After a few sips though, we thought it was a tad overwhelming.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Must tries: coffee (latte art), linguine pesto with chicken, beef meatballs spaghetti

fatpig
 • 26 May 2014 464 reviews 68 followers
Overall
We were craving for something different on a lazy Sunday morning and made the trek far east to Changi Village for brunch at Chock Full Of Beans or CFOB for short.

As the name suggests, CFOB specializes in coffee; a drink which I seldom partake in and have absolutely zero knowledge on save for the fleeting knowledge that it exists. Tucked away in a corner shophouse along Changi Village Road, the place is packed on a late Sunday morning and you can choose to wait in line for a table or leave your contact number (the preferred option).

Omelette With 3 Fillings - We chose salmon, cheese and mushrooms for the fillings and the omelette came served with 2 thick slices of homemade toast and a toss of greens. Ingredients were a little sparse and the egg wasn't creamy enough but at such a price point ($12), I really can't complain.

Eggs Benedict - The Eggs Benedict sported a generous serving of ham but minimally runny yolks on a slice of hard toast and topped with a rather liquid hollandaise sauce. Average.

Buttermilk Waffles With Caramelized Bananas - Burnt at the bottom and a tad too stodgy, the buttermilk waffles were rather bland and came with whipped cream instead of the usual maple syrup. Topped with sweet bananas that could do with a little more grilling for extra caramelization. Average.

Iced Hazelnut Latte - As mentioned earlier, I know nothing about coffee but I did like the hazelnut latte, which was pretty soothing with a hazelnut tinge. But the main draw is definitely the cute 3D art, which is never quite the same even on the same day (ie. blue ribbon vs red ribbon). And at $6.50 a pop, it was worth the money and the wait, considering the effort and skills required.

Brunch set the both of us back by almost 40 bucks, which was relatively reasonable considering the quantity of food (quality was average) and of course the beautiful latte art. I understand that GST has since been incorporated so prices would have gone up a little but I'll probably be back just for the coffee and maybe to try the desserts.