Back to Chui Huay Lim Teochew Cuisine#01-02, Chui, Chui Huay Lim...

braised conpoy vegatables3 votes

ArcticStar
 • 23 Feb 2014 147 reviews 0 follower
Overall
It was a family occasion, and the well-travelled Uncle Leon* suggested this Chui Huay Lim Teochew restaurant which is home to authentic Teochew dishes, set in a cosy and classy ambience at 190 Keng Lee Road #01-02 Chui Huay Lim Club, Singapore 308409 (Tel: 6732 3637).

All of us liked the ancient-looking tiled green roof and pillared entryway outside, and the modern glossyness that hit us once we were inside. The restaurant itself was set in classic and tasteful designs of Chinese (Teochew, specifically) arts and interior decor. We sat down to chat and await our feast to begin.

Back to the meats, this time red one! The Braised Duck with Tofu beneath was a surprise for me as it was the first time I was having Teochew food. The tender, perfectly-braised duck pleased the tastebuds, as did the soft, silky smooth braised beancurd underneath it, still reeling with the juicy tastiness of dark sauce.

Another round of mixed vegetables, the Conpoy Vegetables Dish complete with cabbage, black fungus, carrots, mushrooms and scallops was a mixed blend of palatable crunchy nutrients. It reminds me of our Cantonese Peng-Cai.

After another round of vegetables we are back to the meat - Pu Ning Chicken - braised chicken with fermented Puning bean paste / sauce. The milky-soft chicken flesh was so smooth and fine. The Puning bean paste added a hint of sweet-and-salty flavor, delicious!

For more detailed information and photos, please pop by:

Must tries: braised conpoy vegatables, Pu Ning Chicken

Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

chefquak
 • 21 Jan 2014 125 reviews 1 follower
Overall
ee my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2014/01/20/expensive-family-ala-carte-dinner-chui-huay-lim-restaurant-on-19jan2014/

had an expensive very average food at chui huay lim on 19.1.2014.

i did a family dinner there with my brother & sister & ordered ala carte as i had jumbo$ expiring in jan2014, better redeem.

the the prices gone up. roast suckling pig was S$168, now S$198! cold crab was S$28, now S$30. 1/2duck & 1 whole punning chicken were S$28 now S$32. pork trotter jelly & har chor were S$8, now S$10.

crackling skin of the roast suckling pig was good . but the meat was overcooked & tough!

the 1/2 lor arh (soy sauce duck) was good but no better than muliangzai liang kee, and imperial treasure teochew restaurant was simply superior in comparison, and i think my own lor arh also more flavourful.

puning chicken was really poor, and i ordered 1 whole chicken as we had 11pax! waste of money, any chicken rice stall would offer better chicken. my wife said my own homecooked chicken was better!

the teochew mixed vegetables with dried scallops & the broccoli spinach tofu with shimeji mushrooms were good, and the teochew plain char kuay teow with chye poh was super, very good wok hae! there were 2 vegetarians among us by practice.they didn’t take the scallop but were ok with & enjoyed the dish.

i did not order any fish & prawns as they were very expensive. red garoupa was S$11/100g & tread fin tail was S$8/100g. i think most restaurants would do red garoupa at S$8/100g!

overall, i thought chui huay lim had turned very expensive for very average food. much better to do lee kui (ah hoi), muliangzai liang kee & swa gardens etc which have comparable food at lower prices. i still have jumbo$ though but will probably go to jumbo outlets rather than chui huay lim.

pickledpeas
 • 16 Dec 2013 93 reviews 3 followers
Overall
See the full review with pictures here.

I decided that I am not that big a fan of Teochew food. It’s really healthy and flavoured with somewhat weird things. My bf's mum’s steamed pomfret is nice enough, but any other fish I like steamed Hong Kong style with the slightly sweet soy sauce.

We started with cold crabs, which I don’t know if they are pickled or vinegared, cause there’s a specie of crab found in Singapore called the Singapore Vinegar Crab. Google says Teochew cold crabs are simply steamed, then chilled. Also the type of crab typically used for this dish are from the Charybdis genus, not the Singapore Vinegar Crab, which I think might be too small.

The fried ngoh hiang was not bad – they only serve it in dishes of 6 though, which is obviously not enough to go around
I quite liked the Teochew fried kway teow, but it was a bit salty for some people. It was a novel dish for me. The orh nee is also really good, but in general I find the flavours at Chui Huay Lim a lot more muted than it is at Teochew City Seafood Restaurant at Centrepoint, which I'd definitely prefer to go to for Teochew food over this.

• cold crab
  • teochew style steamed pomfret
  • ngoh hiang
  • deshelled prawns fried with golden chives