Review for Da Luca Italian Restaurant

EuropeanItalianWesternWine
Address: #01-19/21, Goldhill Plaza, 1 Goldhill Plaza, 308899
01 Aug 2014

Bad service

Double standard service. You get no service if you don't order wine, or a full course meal. We were served by 1 particular filipino guy on all 3 visits, seems like a senior as he was bossing the other waiters around and likes to be "friendly" with caucasian customers instead of serving plates like the others.

Once we came in and sat on a table he pointed us but the table was not set yet, no cutleries whatsoever. We had to get his attention a few times to set the table or even to refill the water. Sometimes water refill doesn't come even after we got his attention. Weird, as he seems to be so attentive with caucasian customers, kept topping up their drinks without any commands.

It's a no brainer that main courses have to arrive at the same time. Mine was late, and maybe forgotten cause others have almost finished their food and mine wasn't even on the table yet. He eyed our table a few times looking at my empty space but no effort of updating me about my food. Tried to get his attention but he kept walking away from our table (???) Finally when my food came, everyone already finished their food, no apology was made. I mean, if I dont want service, I might as well eat in food courts.

Tbh the food is not bad that's why I came here 3 times thinking it'll be different from my first experience but to no avail. So if you want a good service here, make sure you order a full course meal and maybe bring your caucasian friend.

More reviews of Da Luca Italian Restaurant

Da Luca Unassuming But Hidden Gem

We were at the restaurant at about 6.30pm on a Monday evening, most tables weren’t occupied yet. But by 7pm, it was almost full house. In other word, either go early or make sure a reservation is made to avoid disappointment.

Food was more than good. Fresh Mixed Salad with Mushroom, Corn and Cherry Tomato in Extra Virgin Oil was with a good mix of vegetable.

Chef’s Ravioli Stuffing With Sausages and Mushroom Sauce was with a very rich and creamy sauce. I like it.

The Lamb Rib in the Grilled Lamb Choped with Spinach and Roasted Potato ($27.90) has a good portion of fats to meat. It was grilled to perfection. The spinach and roasted potato complemented the lamb well. Another enjoyable dish.

Tiramisu was easily one of the best. A good balance between the cream, coffee, alcohol and sponge.

For more reviews, visit http://www.nahmj.com
Overall

Impeccable service and exquisite, authentic Italian food

Had one of the best dinners I have had in a long time at Da Luca's tonight.

Yes, part of it was due to the good company but I think I can attribute a large part of it to the warm, welcoming atmosphere in Da Luca's and the amazing food that was served.

We were served by a svelte and sophisticated-looking lady. The moment she opened her mouth to make recommendations, I knew that I was being served by someone who KNOWS her food which is pretty rare to see in Singapore restaurants.

We started off with a small portion of cold capellini which came highly recommended. The two ladies (me included) had the scallop while the gentleman had the sea urchin. As I took my first bite, the burst of flavour and freshness caught me off guard - I will DEFINITELY be coming back just for this. (Apparently I am not the only one.) We found out from svelte lady server that the seafood is flown in from Hokkaido - quality ingredients indeed for the price you pay.

My mistake was ordering another pasta capellini dish as my main course. It was done with fresh crab meat and tomato sauce and really good but being the small eater I was, I just could not stuff another pasta dish down my belly.Besides, I wanted to leave some room for dessert.. and boy.. was I glad I did!

We had a very nutty and pleasant pistachio ice cream which I ADORED, a delicious and comforting warm apple pie/tart with vanilla ice cream and an ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS chocolate lava cake with hazelnut ice cream.

Now. I am not a chocolatey person... but the lava cake just had me reaching out for more despite being so stuffed. Going into a food coma right now as I am typing this.

We ended the meal on a pleasant note with limoncello shots which suggested by svelte lady server.

Yes, the meal (white wine included) was pricier than what one would normally spend in your run-of-the-mill restaurant chains. But Da Luca is NOT a chain nor a franchised restaurant. The food is not mass-produced.

It is clearly a place where the food is prepared and cooked by a hardworking chef with a lot of passion and more importantly, a lot of heart. They don't scrimp on the quality of ingredients as well which explains why it was a full house on a weekday evening, with people coming in even as late as 10.20pm just for dessert.

If you are an avid food lover who genuinely values quality food that is created with love and care and appreciate a restaurant where even the staff take pride in knowing the food that they serve, you will realise that the price premium that you are paying is a fitting and respectable sum to a deserving chef and his staff.

The only complain and regret I have is that my belly is too small to squeeze in all the delicious food that Da Luca has to offer.

I finally understand the hype that I have been hearing from colleagues who have been continuously raving about the place.

Overall

watch out and be careful with their "service"

Went there for the first time and likely the last time too. Booked the place for a bridal shower dinner because the menu looks nice and the prices on the menu are reasonable and affordable (average for pasta $20-$25). But no, we didn’t get to choose anything from the menu -

The service was good but only from one lady who looked like the manager. Service from the rest of the staff are poor, at least not for the price we paid. No menu given until we asked for it, no smile, took away the plate before we finished it.

The lovely lady learnt that we were having a bridal shower and suggested all these “must have” dishes that are not on the menu (if they are “must have” why are they not on the menu??) she decided for us what and how much we should order to share between us and advised that those were starters only. She quickly took away all the menus which we didn’t get to read.

The food was fantastic and authentic. she came back after starters and thoughtfully asked for our main without bringing the menu, again we took what she suggested to share. The bride to be asked her for free dessert (as part of her hens night task), the lady was all sweet about it and brought a lava cake with congratulating wordings on it, she was so sweet. Later on the waitress brought 3 more desserts to our table and we were flattered.

The bill came with a shocking price of $117 per person (including a bottle of champagne), the off menu dishes she decided for us are average $50 per dish, bear in mind most of them were only starters, and there were only few dishes we shared only, we didn't even have a main to our own. To our horror she charged the desserts which we did not order. I managed get her void one dessert but it already ruined the night especially when the bride to be was on the table. It’s not about the price as the food is good, but it’s the way we were directed to order these off menu dishes that makes it a negative.

The ambience is cosy but not fancy, it's not a fine dining environment. I could have had more food at the same price at a fine dining restaurant.

It was a beautiful night for us until the bill was called when we couldn’t help but feel cheated. The service was good but insincere. The price on the menu seems misleading as the off menu dishes are far too much more expensive than what’s on the menu. Who on earth would ask the price of each item she suggesting while you are on a group table and there’s a bride to be getting shout? I feel the sweet service and suggestions were strategic and seem insincere to me. It’s understandable given that she is in business to make money but I don’t agree with the way she serves, after all, you want to earn customer’s trust too beside the profit. The food was beautiful, it’s such a shame that the experience eventually prevent me from recommending this restaurant. I would suggest them to crystallised the price of off menu dishes by putting them on a board or something, if they are really “must have” signature dishes.

Luca Brasi feeds the fishes well

I've been long encouraged to check out Da Luca by various individuals who live by the credo 'we live to eat'. I, of course, couldn't be f$%^ked coz I feel this increasing Singaporen obsession with food and amateur food photography has killed whatever little joy I had for eating in the first place. I mean, the way Singaporeans go on about food...you'd be forgiven for thinking we are a starving Third World country where every meal is a miracle!

Back to Da Luca with its ooh-so-inviting movie reference (fyi, Luca Brasi is a famed character from The Godfather). I made it to the restaurant yesterday (Tuesday, 29 Sep) at long last and I have to say, on evidence, that I should have have checked it out much sooner.

The restaurant is small and cosy-ish with a vibe reminiscent of diners in Italy - with laughter, clinking glasses etc

The young lady who attended to us was probably an ex-contestant of Dancing with the Stars - she was gliding effortlessly from table to table explaining items on the menu, topping up water, asking people if they had preferences etc all while flashing a mega watt smile. She asked my dinner companion and I if we had any allegeries (we did not) and suggested that we skip the menu and enjoy what the Chef had in mind for us. We picked out a simple Amarone and the evening was set.

I don't remember the exact names of the dishes but we were served a chilled capellini, a grilled+pan fried octpus on tomato confit, a burata cheese ravioli, a risotto, pork belly and veal. Rounded off by tiramsu and pizza-apple slice with ice cream.

And the verdict? You know how you get 30mins into a movie you are enjoying when you start hoping that it will not suck at the end. That's what happened with our dinner. The first two dishes (capellini and octopus) were so yummy that we looked forward to the following dishes with some trepidation. Enjoying every dish but waiting for a letdown. Which...did arrive in the form of the mushroom risotto. It was oookay. I've had better. Maybe its letdown was amplified by the splendid dishes it shared the table with.

Our dining experience was more impressive given that the restaurant was running at full capacity (on a Tuesday, mind you) where certain slipshoddiness is to be expected, even if it is excusable. But not with us or our dinner. We had a great time - wonderful food, gorgeous wine and the Dancing with the Stars lady was the cherry on the cake. Please have her attend to you - her name is Grace, if I'm not wrong.

With a dinner that had soo many pluses the one minus had to be something the restaurant can't do much about - an annoying diner who was so loud that it took saintly patience to not send him sinking after Luca Brasi. He was sooo annoying that our neighbours and us maxed out our rolling of the eyes for the month!

I will return to Da Luca sooner than later. (Maybe call ahead to check if the annoying patron is there.)

Chef Luca sure can whip up an amazing meal and lucky him for his Amazing Grace.

Luca Brasi feeds the fishes well

Chef Luca sure can whip up an amazing meal and lucky him for his Amazing Grace.