Back to Drips Bakery Cafe#01-05, 82 Tiong Poh Road

Take Away3 votes

Madame Chewy
 • 17 Mar 2014 77 reviews 7 followers
For full review and pictures collated from 4 visits, pls visit:

Co-owner Alfred Chan went from baking in Shangri-la Hotel to opening a cheery bakery café serving up quality fare in Tiong Bahru. Although Drips is well-known for their tarts and quiche, their tea cakes and sandwiches impressed me enough to revisit trice.

The café consists of 2 sections. If you wish to chill and relax, I recommend seats at the back, which comprises of mismatched sofas and couches. The front portion reminds me of a fun school canteen. Menu is written on a black board and selection changes often. Selection of both savories and sweets dwindle in the late afternoon, hence I prefer visiting at lunch time.

I don’t have close-up pictures of the teacakes to entice  you; must try as they are are to-die-for! Pound cakes are so common these days; but I have not encountered any as good as Drips. They are luxuriously dense, amazingly moist and melt in the mouth. My family loves the raspberry cake; we buy a large block each time for breakfast.
Drips’ Iced Long Black ($5.50) is Hubby’s favorite coffee; he never fails to order this. Earl Grey Tea by the pot ($7.20) was satisfactory. There are 2 teabags in the pot, so be prepared to take them out to prevent over-steeping.

Hot Chocolate ($5) was fair; I had better ones elsewhere.
In order to set aside space for desserts, we ordered a slice of Rosemary and Chicken Quiche ($6.80) which was creamy and tasty. Don’t be deceived by the serving, although it does not look big, it’s very filling.

Sandwiches are wholesome and appetizing, prepared with generous portions juicy meat and fresh vegetables, plus a citrus side salad

Virginia Ham Sandwich ($13.80) with Dijon Mustard,
Sliced Corned Beef Sandwich ($15.80) ….

…and Oven Roasted Turkey Ham Sandwich ($15.80) with deliciously grilled capsicum and zucchini.

THIS Chocolate Tart ($6.80) stole my heart the moment I took my first bite. The first thing I do when I step into Drips is to check if this is available, and reserve one before it sells out. Made using high percentage of cocoa, the result is a slightly bitter tart with the ideal amount of sweetness.

Mixed Berry Fruit Tart ($8) was equally excellent. I particularly like the buttery and crumbly tart base, which had right amount of salt. Egg custard was just right-creamy and not too sweet.

Must tries: Rosemary chicken quiche, Fruit tart, Butter Cakes, Sandwich, Chocolate Tart

cheryltaro
 • 06 Mar 2014 7 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Wasn't that happy at Dripz..
Full Review: http://cheryltaro.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/foodbook-dripz-bakery/

The interior of the cafe, on first glance, was quite interesting. They wrote out their menu in true hipster style on the cupboards, and the counter was surrounded with all sorts of beautiful tarts and pies. We also received a warm "Welcome!!" when we stepped in, and it seemed to make the long trek to the cafe worth it.

We sat there waiting for a menu, but none came. We then tried to catch the eye of a staff by waving, but while some briefly glanced around, none seemed particularly interested in helping us. I had to resort to google searching Drips' menu. After a while, we noticed a chalkboard hanging directly above another customer's table, and what seemed like the menu was written on it in marker. I don't know if they were taking the hipster thing a bit too far, but we were quite bemused (and a little irritated) that we had to stand awkwardly right in front of other customers to read the menu. We had a Green Tea Latte and a Cinnamon Pear tart.

The cinnamon pear tart was quite good. The cinnamon went amazingly well with the crunchy pear. I'm not usually a fan of cinnamon, but this was pretty nice. The crust, however, was too thin and there was way too little of it. Not in a "lesser pastry, more topping" kind of little, but really, a strange lack of base. Wish there was a little more pastry. Overall, it seemed a little pricey because it was quite small.

ieatandeat
 • 06 Jan 2014 61 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Special Strawberry Seasonal Fruit Tart ($8.50)
Same crust as the Cinnamon Pear Tart, which can only mean that it was just as good! Extremely fresh fruits are used here once again! The mango and strawberry were juicy and sweet with a small tinge of sourness, it was the perfect combination. The cream used in the tart could have been more fragrant though.

At the end of the day, Drips Bakery Café really lived up to its tagline that they specialise in tarts! Their fruit tarts are a must try. Read full review @ www.ieatandeat.com/drips-bakery-cafe

Must tries: Fruit tart, Chocolate de tarts

• The chocolate tart is simply salivating.
  • Go to the website and admire the beauty of the tarts in full pic. You will fall in love with it.
  • The chocolate tart is simply salivating.