Reviews for Etna Italian Restaurant (Duxton Road)

3.8

EuropeanItalianWestern
Address: 49/50 Duxton Road, 089513

24 Jan 2013
Overall

Fantastic food, ambience and service

I had dinner at Etna with a friend, and it was a very enjoyable dining experience.

We were warmly welcomed by a staff named Margherita, and her service throughout was fantastic. The restaurant is good for romantic dates, as it's generally quiet and the tables are not placed closely together. I love the ambience here—nice and cosy with dim warm lighting.

While waiting for our food to arrive, we were served complimentary warm fluffy bread. Dip it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then nom it! It's good!

Soon after our Etna Pizze and Pasta Vongole were served. We enjoyed both  dishes tremendously. Etna pizza is one of the better pizzas I've tasted. Pasta vongole was well done as well. Spaghetti was al dente, and we could taste the white wine and juice from the clams coated on the pasta.

We had Pistachio Tiramisu for dessert. It was pretty average to me as I've had better tiramisu at other Italian restaruants, so I would suggest you skip it.

Overall, we had a fantastic dinner! Thank you Margherita for the hospitality. I'll be sure to return again.
Etna Pizza, Pasta Vongole

More reviews of Etna Italian Restaurant

Overall

Not that pleasant an experience

Went to this restaurant intending to celebrate a friend's birthday. Brought along a cake but they did not even allow us to cut our cake there. Had a very strict "no outside food" policy. (Totally understand their policy. So for those looking to celebrate your birthdays there I don't recommend this place unless you buy their cake because there are tons of other places that are more accommodating)

When asked the waiter/manager how big the pizza portion was, sensed a bit of scorn in his accented tone as he started off the explanation by saying that they only serve one size pizza and that they are not like "those Pizza Hut with the small medium and large sizes". For one, it was very clear that there was only one size because there was only one price listed on the menu. Clearly misinterpreted the question. Perhaps we were seen as being too young or not classy enough for them. Not sure. Just my personal sentiment. Later on he did mention it was 11 inches, usually for one person. Well that aside, objectively speaking he did a rather thorough job suggesting which pizzas were recommended.

The food wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Had the etna pizza but was not a fan of it.

Tiramisu' Al Pistacchio Di Bronte was good

Service was prompt. The female staff took time to explain the daily specials. Order dessert Tiramisu' Al Pistacchio Di Bronte, which tasted good. Linguine al Granchio (Linguine with crabmeat) was not bad too. Serving size of Tagliata di Manzo (300 g. US rib eye) justified the price of $48. But note that water costs $8 per 1 litre bottle.

I would not go again

The food is normal, it's good but not great. The waiter had a racist attitudes. He was only pull the chair for my boyfriend and I had to sit by myself, which I did not mind at the beginning until he whispered to my bf that I could sit in the kitchen! What should I say more? I'm a professional. I did not ask a dinner for free. I will definitely not go again.
 Btw, our dinner last time, the food was terrible. We could only finished half of the pizzas.
Overall

Friendly staffs and yummy food.

When I make a booking through phone call, the lady answered the phone was very friendly and polite.

We were greeted with a big smile an the Italy waiter explained daily specials to us. The waiter and waitress were very friendly and helpful, most important is their SMILE.

The food itself tastes good .
Overall

A Hearty Italian Meal @ Etna Duxton!

Etna is an institution at Duxton, having stood the test of time, in an era where restaurants open (and close) in a blink of an eye.

I came by for lunch recently and I had a craving for something traditional and something basic. So I opted for the classic signature dishes:

- Calamari alla Piastra: $18. Unlike most restaurants that do the batter-coated and fried versions, Etna does this dish differently. The squid is pan seared with rosemary oil, capers, olives, cherry tomatoes and pine nuts with squid ink powder. This allowed me to savour the freshness of the squid and the texture of the squid was excellent. The accompaniments for the dish completed the whole dish, elevating it to a high level. What’s unique was the squid ink powder which added a decadent taste to the dish. Highly recommended!

- Carbonara: $22. This was unique. I asked for carbonara without cream, which is what most restaurants serve. The carbonara here is prepared with Mediterranean spices, which adds a special soy sauce taste to the noodles. The pasta noodles were al dente, which gave the pasta a good bite. Recommended!

- Affogato: $9. Vanilla ice cream served in a martini glass, with a shot of Espresso in a serving cup. You pour the espresso into the martini glass. The final result was something that reminded me of a ‘Rootbeer Float’.  You use the spoon to scoop the ice cream and coffee for each mouthful. A special highlight and a perfect ending to my meal. Highly recommended!

This was a great meal, and the restaurant is on my ‘Go-to’ list of Italian restaurants to dine.

Highly-recommended!