Reviews for Etna Italian Restaurant (Duxton Road)

3.8

EuropeanItalianWestern
Address: 49/50 Duxton Road, 089513

24 Jan 2013
Overall

Fantastic food, ambience and service

I had dinner at Etna with a friend, and it was a very enjoyable dining experience.

We were warmly welcomed by a staff named Margherita, and her service throughout was fantastic. The restaurant is good for romantic dates, as it's generally quiet and the tables are not placed closely together. I love the ambience here—nice and cosy with dim warm lighting.

While waiting for our food to arrive, we were served complimentary warm fluffy bread. Dip it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then nom it! It's good!

Soon after our Etna Pizze and Pasta Vongole were served. We enjoyed both  dishes tremendously. Etna pizza is one of the better pizzas I've tasted. Pasta vongole was well done as well. Spaghetti was al dente, and we could taste the white wine and juice from the clams coated on the pasta.

We had Pistachio Tiramisu for dessert. It was pretty average to me as I've had better tiramisu at other Italian restaruants, so I would suggest you skip it.

Overall, we had a fantastic dinner! Thank you Margherita for the hospitality. I'll be sure to return again.
Etna Pizza, Pasta Vongole

More reviews of Etna Italian Restaurant

A Great Treat from Boss

It was a surprise treat from my boss. After meeting in town, my boss say he'll bring us to a newly open Italian restaurant at Duxton recommended by his friend. So after parking his car at the Duxton hill carpark, we do a slow 2 minutes walk and saw Etna restaurant.

The name Etna sounded some how farmiliar to me. Then I recalled that I have been to its other branch some where at the East Coast area.

So 3 of us went in with a good welcome from a Caucasian lady, I assume she's an Italian? We were presented with the menu and started browsing through the extensive list. She updated us with the soup & dessert of the day which was meant for their set menu at $24.80. But since it was my boss's treat, so lets go Ala Carte !

We had Parma Ham melon and chicken fingers as Appetizer. Then I had the COD fish, my boss had Pasta with Scallop & Bottaga (Tuna roe), and the other ordered a seafood pizza. We just can't resist but to pinch on each other's main course.

Yummy on my fish, it was so tasty that i wish the piece was bigger ! And I also had a big piece of scallop meat from my boss's pasta too ! plus a small corner of the seafood pizza. Then we were all too full to order dessert.

But since the server highly recommended their Tiramisu Pistachio, so we took a portion just to share. And true enough, my boss & collegue love them just like I do. We are already planning to bring the entire department here for a Chinese new year get together session.

By the way, on our way out, I notice they also have this big shelving display of wine, which I believe should be the wine cellar. I thought it was kind of special too.

Overall

Familiar italian fare and then some

From the reviews and restaurant website, Etna came across as a homely, cosy, unpretentious restaurant dedicated to serving good, italian cuisine. And lived up to expectations it did with a cosy and comfortable set-up along Duxton road, amongst the rather eclectic mix of F&B outlets, hotels and some seemingly dubious joints.

The very extensive menu with a selection of Sicilian specialties sent taste buds into over-drive around the table. Sicilian food apparently is characterised by the presence of pistachio in the dish, so explained by the restaurant owner who warmly made recommendations on their house specials.

After much deliberation. everyone finally settled down with their choice for the night, from salads to soups, pizzas to pastas, meats and more across the table.

Portion sizes were generous with salads and starters enough for 2 persons. To start, I had a mixed salad with tuna chunks which was well tossed, full of flavour and refreshing. The tuna chunks were a tad salty but i think that was what gave it enough flavour and set it apart from most salads I've had. The mushroom soup was given the thumbs-up along with Caesar salads which were chowed down with palatable appreciation.

The wonderul flavours continued through as the main were served while we were still savouring the remnants of our starters. Thin crust pizzas came in both tomato and white (cream) - based version, big enough for 2 as well. Pasta lovers slurped up their dinner with glee while the carnivores carved and chowed on juicy pieces of bovine delight and rack of lamb.

While we're all happy with dinner, I can't help but notice the service being eager yet lacking in attention to detail. Table settings fell short by a set despite us having made reservation for our group. Menus were not presented to us when were all settled in and we had to request for them. Our bday cake was presented without a knife to cut it. We had to ask for side plates and again for forks thereafter. Our service staff was certainly pleasant and tried her best to make us feel at home and I could not fault her for that at all. She was quick to respond to every request but failed to anticipate our needs. That would be what set good service apart from Great service.

Overall

Surprise Treat from Boyfriend for our Anniversary!

Got a surprise anniversary treat from my boyfriend at this restaurant... Nice, romantic with a lot of privacy to let us catch up our sweet memories...

Staff made good recommendations and give us a lot of space. Food is delicious, has good selections.

Good place for a relax meal.

Overall

Thanks for the Wonderful Service!

We were looking for a place for old friends gathering, a bunch people who did not meet up for 20 years, so a place in town is convenient but quiet with some privacy so that we can chat our hearts out is necessary. Found Etna at Duxton from this website which was only moved from Lau Pa Sat recently, we decided to go there, other than accessibility, been new means not many people yet.

We went and was charmed almost immediately by the setup. The beautiful decorative pieces brought in from Sicily added on to the ambience. The friendly Manager Mr Yunos did very good recommendations and crack little jokes around, and the charming Italian Bosses were friendly. Food is delicious and the desserts are superb.

This is indeed a very nice place to have gatherings, family nights out and definately romantic dates. Our first gathering after 20 years turned out a success, definately eat and talk our hearts out! Thanks Etna!!

and time we have spent together, without much interferences from the rowdyness in town

Yummy Italian food

Originally planned to visit Etna @ Lau Pat Sat but they have relocate to Duxton, near the open air carpark at Duxton Hill.

Restaurant is nicely renovated with a cosy ambience.

The Italian boss was warm and friendly, he recommended us dishes and all their serving staff were friendly and attentive throughout our meal.

Lamb rack - 3 juicy nicely grilled pieces served with a yummy creamy potato gratin

Pizza Etna - This is a so called white pizza (without tomato base) with parma ham, cream cheese and porcini mushroom, rather interesting combination and definitely the best pizza crust ever! although personally I cant appreciate the slightly bitter taste of porcini (suppose to be the king of mushroom and costly)

Vongole Pasta - Comes with loads of clams giving the gravy a very rich flavorful taste that blends perfectly with the al dente pasta

Portions were rather generous thus we were too full to try their desserts, definitely returning to try other dishes plus their highly recommended pistachio tiramisu!