Reviews for Etna Italian Restaurant (Duxton Road)

3.8

EuropeanItalianWestern
Address: 49/50 Duxton Road, 089513

24 Jan 2013
Overall

Fantastic food, ambience and service

I had dinner at Etna with a friend, and it was a very enjoyable dining experience.

We were warmly welcomed by a staff named Margherita, and her service throughout was fantastic. The restaurant is good for romantic dates, as it's generally quiet and the tables are not placed closely together. I love the ambience here—nice and cosy with dim warm lighting.

While waiting for our food to arrive, we were served complimentary warm fluffy bread. Dip it in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then nom it! It's good!

Soon after our Etna Pizze and Pasta Vongole were served. We enjoyed both  dishes tremendously. Etna pizza is one of the better pizzas I've tasted. Pasta vongole was well done as well. Spaghetti was al dente, and we could taste the white wine and juice from the clams coated on the pasta.

We had Pistachio Tiramisu for dessert. It was pretty average to me as I've had better tiramisu at other Italian restaruants, so I would suggest you skip it.

Overall, we had a fantastic dinner! Thank you Margherita for the hospitality. I'll be sure to return again.
Etna Pizza, Pasta Vongole

More reviews of Etna Italian Restaurant

Simple dinner

We had dinner there with my friends, and were not really hungry so we skipped the dessert. Their Menu is huge, a lot of choice and it was quite difficult to make a choice! Complementary bread is so-so, rather tasteless but it turns better with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Overall, the food was good, maybe a bit expensive but the portions are big enough. All my friends enjoyed their main. I think the gnocchi with cheese worth the try.

No-one seemed to be Italian, either on the floor or in the kitchen. The service was attentive but we could feel the coldness of the waiter when we declined the dessert and coffee. Water was refilled automaticaly, we never had to wave a hand to get a waiter's attention.

Ambience is nice, quiet. Maybe too cold but I have to say I feel cold wherever there is aircon.

Overall

good was expected, but not so good

I continued checking F&B places around my office in the Duxton area.. This time two of my colleagues and I decided to pay a visit to this (quite new, we understood) Italian place in Duxton Rd. We were expecting quite a good dining experience from what we read about it, but what we got exceeded our expectations. Maybe we were lucky because we were the second group of people to be there at 6:30pm, thus avoiding the crowd that came later on. And certainly we were lucky because one of the owners, Mr. Gianlucca, got to serve us and explained us a lot of things about Sicily, the Etna volcano and how it influences the quality of the ingredients.

Athmosphere was quite relaxing and cosy (but later on became too crowded for my taste), decoration is quite simple but very authentic.

We were welcomed very friendly by one of the staff, Ms. Michelle. Then the owner Mr. Gianlucca came to our table and gave.us an intro to Sicily and what he and his Sicilain partner are trying to do at Etna.

Foodwise, we followed his suggestions almost to the letter. Lucky us :) But maybe we ended up eating too much...

We took a really big Italian appetizer (mixed cold cuts and cheese), a typical Sicilain hot appetizer called parmigeana (hope it is spelled correctly) and two soups.

Everything was nice, maybe the mushroom soup could be thicker but the tomato soup was great.

We shared a pizza (the signature Etna pizza) and three pastes among the ones suggested by Mr. Gianlucca: 1) some stuffed pasta with pistacchio cream, 2) linguini with scallops and lobster sauce, and 3) rice with prawn and oranges. Absolutely delicious! To my taste, i particularly appreciated the stuffed past with pistachio, as i have never tasted something similar around....

And then dessert came...pistachio tiramisu', panna cotta and pistachio mousse.

Honestly, among the best desserts that i have ever eaten around, even superior to those of some very fine dining restaurants that I have been visiting. Maybe desserts lack in presentation, but the taste was more-than-fine dining.

We complemented the food with a nice Etna red wine, bottled in 2000 and aged in special barrels, as Mr. Gianlucca (who apparently is an Italian sommelier) explained us. In the end he was so nice to offer us some flavourful liquor (for digestion) and coffee...

The service given by Ms. Michelle and all the friendly discussions we had with Mr. Gianlucca were an adequate complement to the great food.

Overall a superb dining experience. No doubt that we will return.

Overall

Celebrated a cosy Bday celebration with friends at Etna!

Was a thoughtful experience, the manager made an effort to recommend us the tastefully delicious mains and starters, yet made a subtle reminder for us to keep some space for their signature tiramisu pistachio.

We finished every bit of the food, we made another reservation on the spot to enjoy another feast again 2 weeks later. Highly recommend the tiramisu pistachio and the Seafood Marinara.

Simply delicious....

Wholesome non pretentious Italian food in big portions.

Highly recommends Pasta with italian sausage and funghi, it's olive oil sauce is delicious. Very different taste from the usual tomato or cream sauce.

Etna Pizza is rather interesting, it doesnt comes with any tomato sauce and has mushrooms, parma ham and cream cheese!! Sounds like a weird combination but it taste great!

Lastly the pistacchio tiramisu is a must try!

wonderful experience

Arriving from Lao Pa Sat into the Duxton area, I have been a fan of Etna for awhile, mostly due to the hearty portion of food that one receives for their buck.

When the restaurant opened recently, I took the opportunity to try several dishes.

I started with the Zuppa Di Mare, which was a hearty seafood soup with generous portions of shellfish, prawns and squid in a very thick and flavourful tomato based sauce.

From the pizza menu, I tried the Frutti di Mare Sicilia pizza which was a new edition to the menu with the cured tuna roe (bottarga). The tuna roe added a tinge of saltiness to the mozzarella cheese based pizza, making it a rather rich dish.

I also tried the Bottarga Pasta. I liked the little crunchiness the tuna roe added to the al dente pasta. Once again, portions were very generous.

What's coming to Etna without trying their signature dessert? I had to have the tiramisu - sinful but thick with a slightly strong coffee finish. Ah, after a wonderful meal like that , it is time to hit the gym...