Back to Fat Cow#01-01, Camden Medical Centre, 1 Orchard Boulevard

hungrye hungry
 • 16 Apr 2014 22 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Possibly the worst $200 Japanese dinner ever. The sashimi wasn't fresh or had the choicest cuts. Wagyu was so so.

PhoenixW2
 • 21 Mar 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Four months since our last visit (and review below), and we made a return visit for lunch today. This place is a rare jewel; it is like driving through Florida and finding 'All you can eat for $5.99' places, for 2 years on end, and THEN, and then, then, oh boy, ... coming upon somewhere that makes you wonder if a culinary version of God does in fact exist.

This place is *SO* far removed from the day to day food you find in Singapore, that it renders me almost speechless. Exquisite, technically masterful. All served up by Chef-Dan and team right in front of you. Today I had the Wagyu-beef and foie gras - don. Just incredible, perfection, via immaculate ingredients, and simplicity.

This place really is a one of a kind find. Chef Dan asked where I'd eaten before, and I was a bit blur, out of the blue. I suppose he wanted to 'triangulate' my comments. The triangle would be Peter Luger's - NYC, and The Dorchester Grill - London. I wish I had a Japanese steakhouse to triangulate into that too ...

This restaurant really is seriously outstanding. If it were in London it would have something like a 2-year waiting list.

ms-skinnyfat
 • 15 Jan 2014 211 reviews 41 followers
Overall
For more reviews, visit my blog at www.ms-skinnyfat.com

There have been mixed reviews on the restaurant and one thing I heard was that the food doesn't justify the price. However, with the downward revision of the already affordable lunch sets, I don't think anyone would be deterred from checking FC out. Each set comes with salad, chawanmushi, miso soup and dessert with your choice of mains. Pick from the 12 mains which are priced from $25 to $48. Don't worry if you're not a beef fan, there are sashimi, pork and chicken on the menu too.

The chawanmushi was topped with a light tasting crab sauce and it has prawn, mushroom and scallop in it.

We ordered the Kinoko ($14), assorted Japanese mushrooms braised with sake, lime and butter. Honestly, it tasted like normal stir fry with a tinge of lime. A disappointment really. And it was a rather small portion.

We also tried the Nasu Dengaku ($10), barbecued eggplant glazed with honey miso. This is a tiny baby Japanese eggplant and it certainly isn't worth the price tag. There was a plum undertone in the salty miso which didn't sit well with the girls.

We had the 2 hot favorites at Fat Cow, which is the Fat Foa-Gura Don ($42) and The Fat Cow Donburi ($38). It was a tussle between the 2 choices but here's the flavor profiles so that you can decide for yourself! The Fat Foa-Gura Don has the rich and buttery glazed foie gras chunks and grilled wagyu beef cubes. The sauce was a little on the sweet side but the overall flavor is strong and heavy. I liked the toppings on this one but i found the rice to be a little on the dry side and it acted like a sponge, soaking up all the oil from the goose liver..

The Fat Cow Donburi is a simpler dish in comparison but it has its own merits. Charcoal grilled Wagyu Beef with a light garlic flavor, with onsen egg and shiro negi. The first thing we noticed about the dish was its truffle aroma.

Break the egg and mix everything together and enjoy the moist and flavorful rice. Absolutely delicious.