Back to Five & Dime Eatery297 River Valley Road

Supper3 votes

theengineerchef
 • 17 Apr 2014 13 reviews 0 follower
For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:

My friend and I went to Five and Dime for dinner this time. I ordered the Braised Pork Belly ($22) and my friend ordered the Fish and Chips ($20).

My Braised Pork Belly consisted of a slice of black Berkshire pork slow cooked for over 6 hours served atop warm cha soba. The pork belly was a melt-in-your-mouth heaven on earth. The pork was so tender and juicy, and the fat was rendered to perfection. Best of all, the braising sauce was very delicious. It gave me a familiar taste that I could not remember of what. To describe it in words, the sauce has a combination of salt, sweet, and umami. It might even be the best braised pork belly I've eaten recently. Creativity certainly kicked in this dish as the pork was served with soba. The soba reduced the fattyness from the meat, but a tinge of acid sauce for the soba could be added to clear out more of the fattyness.

While I was extremely pleased with my pork belly, my friend was disappointed with her Fish and Chips. The fish was way too oily, if not drenched in oil. And to me, they have "lost" the fish taste. I liked the chips, but still they could be less oily. Nonetheless I thought the presentation of the dish was great.

My friend and I both love the milkshake, but knew that a glass is too calorific for each. So we decided to share a Nutty Monkey Milkshake, which was a banana and peanut butter milkshake. The milkshake indeed was superb!

As usual, there is always room for dessert - I have been eyeing the Golden Custard Lava Cake Five & Dime posted in their instagram. We gave it a try. Sadly I think I put too high of an expectation towards this dish, so when we digged in, it tasted just like an ordinary lava cake - which of course wasn't something bad, but just not special enough.

Chillout, Girls Night Out, Lunch, Nice Deco, Night Out, Quiet, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates

Rachel Cheow
 • 24 Feb 2014 69 reviews 17 followers
Overall
For a complete review with photos, check out http://rachelays.blogspot.sg/2014/02/dinner-at-five-and-dime.html

Salmon Rocket $15 Gosh I love this!! Well, it might also be because I was too hungry. 5 generous slices of flame torched salmon sashimi wrapped with argula leaves, with wasabi mirin dressing. I couldn't taste any wasabi in the dressing though. I really love the torched flavour of the salmon sashimi (definitely on my list of favourite food) and it went really well with the flavoursome dressing of the salad.

Fish & Chips $20 Battered shark catfish fillets served with hand cut fries. The fries were really unique. They were covered in the batter used for the fish and the batter was so crispy and thin. The fries did not taste like the typical french fries. They looked like fresh potato strips covered with batter. Instead of the usual kind of fish used in fish & chips, here they use catfish fillets. Some of the fish were soft and slightly mushy while the rest scored right in terms of texture. They also went very well with the tartar sauce which tasted slightly different from the typical tartar sauce. I am guessing it might be because they use japanese mayonnaise and also added egg? As the fish and chips were deep-fried, they were a little oily.

Mentaiko pasta $18 Finally tried the highly raved mentaiko pasta! Spaghetti tossed in creamy mentaiko topped with more cod fish roe. It had a fishy taste due to the cod fish roe. I find that it is better to share among 2 as the dominating flavour for the pasta is only the mentaiko so it may be gelat to finish the whole plate by yourself.

jerry aw
 • 14 Jan 2014 8 reviews 0 follower
Overall
there's limited seating and the restaurant is not too big..its quite a walk from somerset but a quick bus ride from tiong bahru.
so let's get to the main topic... the food.... we ordered calamari for starters but they came after my pasta mains which was a bit irritating because the reason you order starters is to have something to munch on while you wait. ..
The calamari rings were nice the batter was not too thick in fact thin.. and they were quite big,so you are really eating sotong and not flour.

my friend and I shared the mentaiko pasta. which was basically roe pasta. . smelled fishy but was very yummy in fact my favorite dish for the evening. next we also shared fish and chips. the fish was nice,juicy and there were bigflajes of fish. however the batter turned soggy shortly which reduced the enjoymwnt, the accompanying wedges were very obviously made from scratch and you can see by the actual potato instead of some factory produced mold of a potato wedge... however the chef was too heavy on the salt n some parts were really too salty. finally had the chocolate lava liusha cake. . tasted compatible but would recommend that it's shared, as it was too rich for myself. I thought it tasted good but would be better if I could taste more of the liusha flavour

Must tries: mentaiko pasta

After Work
  • chocolate lava liusha cake
  • mentaiko pasta