Review for Five & Dime Eatery

BeerFusionInternationalWesternWine
theengineerchef • 17 Apr 2014 • 27 Reviews • 0 Follower

Favorite neighborhood cafe in Singapore!

For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:

My friend and I went to Five and Dime for dinner this time. I ordered the Braised Pork Belly ($22) and my friend ordered the Fish and Chips ($20).

My Braised Pork Belly consisted of a slice of black Berkshire pork slow cooked for over 6 hours served atop warm cha soba. The pork belly was a melt-in-your-mouth heaven on earth. The pork was so tender and juicy, and the fat was rendered to perfection. Best of all, the braising sauce was very delicious. It gave me a familiar taste that I could not remember of what. To describe it in words, the sauce has a combination of salt, sweet, and umami. It might even be the best braised pork belly I've eaten recently. Creativity certainly kicked in this dish as the pork was served with soba. The soba reduced the fattyness from the meat, but a tinge of acid sauce for the soba could be added to clear out more of the fattyness.

While I was extremely pleased with my pork belly, my friend was disappointed with her Fish and Chips. The fish was way too oily, if not drenched in oil. And to me, they have "lost" the fish taste. I liked the chips, but still they could be less oily. Nonetheless I thought the presentation of the dish was great.

My friend and I both love the milkshake, but knew that a glass is too calorific for each. So we decided to share a Nutty Monkey Milkshake, which was a banana and peanut butter milkshake. The milkshake indeed was superb!

As usual, there is always room for dessert - I have been eyeing the Golden Custard Lava Cake Five & Dime posted in their instagram. We gave it a try. Sadly I think I put too high of an expectation towards this dish, so when we digged in, it tasted just like an ordinary lava cake - which of course wasn't something bad, but just not special enough.
Recommended for
Chillout, Girls Night Out, Lunch, Nice Deco, Night Out, Quiet, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates
Overall
  • Five and Dime
  • Dining area
  • Nutty monkey milkshake and golden custard lava cake
  • Golden custard lava cake