Summary

Value3
mentaiko pasta, Mac & Cheese, Buttermilk Pancakes, Fish & Chip, salmon rocket, big brekkie, golden custard lava cake, Eggs Benny, Matcha latte, Camomile Creme Brulee, Chocolate Lava Cake, Cocktails, Lemon Tart, Milo panna cotta, Miso duck salad, Nutella Brownie with Honey & Fig Ice-cream, Spicy Miso Wings, Wings, braised pork belly, lava cake, mentaiko pasta, creme burlee, salted egg yolk pasta View all
Brunch, Dinner, After Work, Chillout, Breakfast, Lunch, Quiet, Romance/First Dates, Anniversary, Girls Night Out, Birthdays, Children/Family, Hidden Find, Relaxed, People Watching, Vibrant/Noisy, Ala Carte, Large Groups/Gathering, Supper, Trendy View all

Favorite neighborhood cafe in Singapore!

For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:

My friend and I went to Five and Dime for dinner this time. I ordered the Braised Pork Belly ($22) and my friend ordered the Fish and Chips ($20).

My Braised Pork Belly consisted of a slice of black Berkshire pork slow cooked for over 6 hours served atop warm cha soba. The pork belly was a melt-in-your-mouth heaven on earth. The pork was so tender and juicy, and the fat was rendered to perfection. Best of all, the braising sauce was very delicious. It gave me a familiar taste that I could not remember of what. To describe it in words, the sauce has a combination of salt, sweet, and umami. It might even be the best braised pork belly I've eaten recently. Creativity certainly kicked in this dish as the pork was served with soba. The soba reduced the fattyness from the meat, but a tinge of acid sauce for the soba could be added to clear out more of the fattyness.

While I was extremely pleased with my pork belly, my friend was disappointed with her Fish and Chips. The fish was way too oily, if not drenched in oil. And to me, they have "lost" the fish taste. I liked the chips, but still they could be less oily. Nonetheless I thought the presentation of the dish was great.

My friend and I both love the milkshake, but knew that a glass is too calorific for each. So we decided to share a Nutty Monkey Milkshake, which was a banana and peanut butter milkshake. The milkshake indeed was superb!

As usual, there is always room for dessert - I have been eyeing the Golden Custard Lava Cake Five & Dime posted in their instagram. We gave it a try. Sadly I think I put too high of an expectation towards this dish, so when we digged in, it tasted just like an ordinary lava cake - which of course wasn't something bad, but just not special enough.

Most helpful reviews for Five & Dime Eatery

First generation hipster cafe

Five and Dime Eatery has to be one of the earlier hipster cafes launched. Located near Mohammed Sultan, this is a popular venture for those in the late 20s.

At a recent visit, I started with theCreamy Crab Croquettes ($12), two pieces of milky mashed potato with large chunks of crab meat and a slight sour finish. Well executed.

Not so good was the Koro Koro Steak ($32), which I felt was over marinated , too strong in tastes and the garlic and ponzu sauce overpowered the natural flavours of the slightly overdone beef.

Recommended is the Mentaiko Pasta ($18). The noodles were mixed well with the mayo based fusion dish and there was enough cod roe to produce tha crunch with each bite.

For dessert I had the Lava Cake ($12). In addition to the oozing chocolate from the cake, it was topped with egg yolk and I felt the salt and sweet combination was a treat.

Overall, I must say that I was rather impressed by the food. Service was generally efficient.

Get the matcha latte!

This place has a really good matcha latte, it's a must order! Ambience wise, I think it can do better as it was really noisy with other people talking so conversations and catching up were quite difficult. Food wise, the matcha latte, and I had the mentaiko pasta which was delicious. A little disappointed that the lava cake ran out, so we ordered the milo panna cotta instead, which was pretty good too! A surprise, since I'm not a fan of panna cotta. The price is a little steep, so I will recommend this place for special occasions, especially since the place is a bit small.

Great staff and good food, worth more than your dime!

This review is way overdue but I owe it to the fantastic staff of this fabulous establishment! The food here is great, the staff is friendly. They forgot the cake for my fiancee's birthday, but more than made up with it with their enthusiastic service.

I recommend the pasta for sure, as well as the steak. Definitely a place I'll return to soon.

Bloggers who have eaten here

Interesting fusion dishes

I have been trying to eat brunch at Five & Dime Eatery for a while, but after three failed attempts (once no reservation, once I didnt take their 3 seatings on Sundays seriously, etc), I decided to forgo brunch here and take dinner with the Beau instead.

Located at 297 River Valley Road, Singapore 238338, one could say that Five & Dime Eatery is located at the end of a row of shophouses - but its pretty exterior gives it a quaint, standalone appearance, doesnt it? I like the pretty, white, European-looking outlook that makes it stand out from the rest of the shops in the same row.

The interior somewhat belies its quasi-elegant exterior, but exudes a warm, cosy ambience complete with chalkboard menus and colorful artwork adorning the walls. They have a cute clipboard menu, but their drinks menu is more adorable - resembling a passport.

Then they served my Salmon Rocket Salad (SGD$15.00) - flame torched salmon sashimi wrapped with arugula leaves, with wasabi mirin dressing. It was a combination of two of my favorite things - salmon sashimi and arugula leaves! The salmon sashimi was saccharine and rather fresh, made all the more tasty with overtures of smokiness because it was torched on the underside.

Next, our shared main course of Mentaiko Pasta (SGD$18.00) came - spaghetti tossed in creamy mentaiko topped with cod fish roe - the pasta was rather springy but dry - there was no sauce detected, much less creamy. The palatable spicy cod roe made up for the lack of gravy though.

We also shared a side of Spicy Miso Wings (SGD$7.00) - 6 pieces of half wings tossed in spicy miso sauce - juicy, spicy and sapid in flavor. It tasted like tomato-paste chicken with a heavy burst of saltiness, so after the first few impressive bites, we both agreed that the taste was a little overwhelming. You have to eat it with bread, rice or pasta to neutralise the flavors.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Perfect weekend brunch

Located along river valley road which is a little out of the way for a Eastie. However, it was worth the trip as food was delectable, company with friends was good and service was prompt and hospitable.

More pics and thoughts at http://lepakwithyaops.com/?p=101