Review for Five & Dime Eatery

BeerFusionInternationalWesternWine
Address: 297 River Valley Road, 238338
17 Apr 2014
Overall

Favorite neighborhood cafe in Singapore!

For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:

My friend and I went to Five and Dime for dinner this time. I ordered the Braised Pork Belly ($22) and my friend ordered the Fish and Chips ($20).

My Braised Pork Belly consisted of a slice of black Berkshire pork slow cooked for over 6 hours served atop warm cha soba. The pork belly was a melt-in-your-mouth heaven on earth. The pork was so tender and juicy, and the fat was rendered to perfection. Best of all, the braising sauce was very delicious. It gave me a familiar taste that I could not remember of what. To describe it in words, the sauce has a combination of salt, sweet, and umami. It might even be the best braised pork belly I've eaten recently. Creativity certainly kicked in this dish as the pork was served with soba. The soba reduced the fattyness from the meat, but a tinge of acid sauce for the soba could be added to clear out more of the fattyness.

While I was extremely pleased with my pork belly, my friend was disappointed with her Fish and Chips. The fish was way too oily, if not drenched in oil. And to me, they have "lost" the fish taste. I liked the chips, but still they could be less oily. Nonetheless I thought the presentation of the dish was great.

My friend and I both love the milkshake, but knew that a glass is too calorific for each. So we decided to share a Nutty Monkey Milkshake, which was a banana and peanut butter milkshake. The milkshake indeed was superb!

As usual, there is always room for dessert - I have been eyeing the Golden Custard Lava Cake Five & Dime posted in their instagram. We gave it a try. Sadly I think I put too high of an expectation towards this dish, so when we digged in, it tasted just like an ordinary lava cake - which of course wasn't something bad, but just not special enough.

More reviews of Five & Dime Eatery

Quaint & cozy restaurant

Recently, the current craze is over japanese cod roe, aka 'mentai'. I am personally a fan of mentai too & upon hearing that five & dime offers mentai pasta, i knew that i had to try it. Pulling my partner along, we patronized Five & Dime on a quiet Monday evening and settled down for dinner. The ambience was so comfortable and cosy, the servers were welcoming & helpful. We ordered the grilled chicken, cod roe pasta & a side dish of truffle fries. Our dishes were serves promptly. I love how the truffle fries was unique in the sense that they use truffle mayo instead of usual truffle shavings/oil. It was a unique sour taste with a hint of truffle. My partner had the grilled chicken. It was served with a cup of butter corn and garden salad. I took a bite of the chicken but I found it pretty ordinary for a grilled chicken & it was nothing out of the world. I enjoyed the corn though, it was buttery enough, just the way I like it. The finale was the purpose of my visit.. mentai pasta! It was so good I slowly savoured it in small portions because I didnt want the dish to ever finish. There was a tinge of spiciness and the pasta was infused with creamy cod roe. Thumbs up! My overall experience at Five & Dime was amazing. On a side note, they even provide car lots at the back of the restaurant for convenient parking! Definitely a recommended restaurant to dine in, be it for couples or gatherings!
Overall

The salted egg yolk dishes are wonderful!

Went there during one of the Sunday evening dinner with a huge group of 13 pax. The service is fast and great. They remembered what each of us ordered and didnt have to ask who to serve the food to! If you love salted egg yolk like I do, you need to try out this restaurant.

Awesome cafe to visit

For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2015/08/five-dime.html

I have to admit that the location is not very accessible if you are visiting by train. With two nearest MRT stations stationed in town, Five & Dime can only depend on Somerset and Dhoby Ghaut MRT Stations. Luckily, there is a bus stop directly across the road, which a little more convenience to diners, as well as a carpark just right behind the cafe.

Five & Dime does not have a lot of seats, so reservation is actually recommended, and they only take in reservation on every two hours (e.g. Table reservation at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, etc.).

French Toast ($16.00) with choice of either crispy bacon or chicken sausages and with fruit salad. It really seems to me as a very simple dish, but their French toast is just too fluffy and the syrup with butter makes the toast not too dry yet sweet.

Braised Pork Belly Sandwich ($18.00), with the use of black Berkshire pork in between toasted French white and sweet potato fries at the side. I have no idea how many portions are available, but I'm glad that I am one of those trying out the limited portions!

Pork belly is definitely yummy, dripping with sauce on the "tough-like-rock" French white. Well, the outer is hard, but the bread itself is still quite soft and the dripping sauce is acting like a jam to me.

Golden Custard Lava Cake ($12.00). The only special out of the list of 5. Something like custard bun, but instead a "westernized" version. Love the soft chocolate-ty taste of the cake, mixing the sweet and saltiness together to form a smile on your lips.

For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2015/08/five-dime.html

Overall

Love the pasta and desserts

It was a last minute decision to go there. We reached there by 4.10pm and the last order for brunch was 4.20pm! And we can't hang around until dinner as it was fully book. Our starter was the salmon rockets. the lightly seared salmon wrapped around rocket leaves was very interesting. The mentaiko pasta was very nicely done and flavourful. the butter milk pancake was overdone, so nothing to rave about. Sadly they were out of the lava cake for brunch since we were so late! The creme brulee was very good! the flavour of the day was milk tea.
Overall

Love the Liu Sha Lava Cake and Camomile Creme Brulee!

For pictures and full reiew, pls visit:

Back again at Five and Dime to try their famous salted egg yolk custard lava cake! This popular brunch spot is not the most accessible; the nearest MRT (Somerset) is 10-15 walk away but that doesn’t stop the crowds from coming. For those who drive, free parking is available at the back.

Five and Dime pride themselves for serving unpretentious, quality food at reasonable prices. The interior is small but stylish. Service is efficient, friendly and cheerful.

We were taken by the enticing aroma of our neighbour’s Calamari ($9) and therefore ordered one too. Crisps batter, springy calamari teamed with tartar sauce, what’s there not to like?

W had two beautifully poached eggs nesting on wagyu beef slices and brioche, accompanied with mesclun greens, spiced breakfast potatoes and a bowl of fruit salad. Five and Dime’s Eggs Benny ($18) was competently executed and gratifying.

Five and Dime is well-known for their Mentaiko Pasta ($18) and this was on almost every table. The slightly soft spaghetti was tossed in creamy mentaiko and topped with more cod fish roe. The umami pasta is a good choice if you want to jumpstart your day with a bit carbo boost, however, if you’re not a fan of fishy aftertaste, this is not for you.

The fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes ($15) adorned with fresh fruits came with butter and maple syrup on the side. Diners can opt for crispy bacon or chicken sausage to complement their pancakes. It’s decent brunch plate that will please most palates.

The highlight of our meal was undoubtedly the rich Golden Custard Lava Cake($12), a unique east meets west creation that sent us to dessert heaven. Presented in a traditional dim sum basket, the chocolate exterior breaks open to reveal a glorious river of golden elixir- salted egg yolk custard.

Ask the server for the flavour of the Crème Brulee ($12) prepared for the day. If its camomile, get it! The crème brulee is burnt enough on the top, and has a nice crunch of burnt sugar. We also thoroughly enjoyed smooth and creamy chilled custard which left a lingering trail of camomile in the mouth.

Lovely brunch plates, captivating desserts and great service; I can see why Five and Dime was full house when we visited. Brunch is served from 10am to 4.20pm on weekends. I recommend making reservations to avoid disappointment. If you wish to try the Golden Custard Lava Cake, do arrive early as servings are limited.