Back to Gaia Ristorante & BarGoodwood Park Hotel, 22 Scotts Road

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining3 votes

make your calories count
 • 05 Apr 2014 145 reviews 2 followers
Overall
For the review in full, please visit us at http://www.makeyourcaloriescount.com/2014/03/sg-restaurant-week-gaia-ristorante-bar.html

The specially designed menu during the Restaurant Week was particularly tempting and we visited with highly anticipative spirits. Greeted by excellent service upon arrival and guided right till we got our seats, it was quite an impression made from the start. We were then welcomed with these crackers and bread before our dishes were served.

I would have preferred it more if the bread were slightly toasted prior to serving, in order to retain the crispness and soft warm insides. It was a tad stale by the time we'd tried it but I enjoyed the bread crust that was slightly more toasted and remained crisp.

Veal tenderloin with warm tuna sauce and crispy capers

Coming as a starter, I found the tuna sauce too overpowering that it masked the veal tenderloin that was supposed to be the star of the dish. It was a tad too strong to start with, though the celery slices helped add a refreshing touch to it.

This wasn't exactly to our liking but we were impressed with their staff's service in noting that and took the initiative in making special arrangements for us.

Grilled Hokkaido scallops in saffron cream with a dash of coffee powder

Off the original menu, their manager Ian arranged for this as a replacement. I'm a fan of scallops and this certainly won me over. Grilled to perfection with a viscous saffron cream, the savouriness was enhanced by the coffee powder that gave just a slight bitter edge to it, yet a heavenly combination. This was one that I could not get enough of for sure!

For the rest of the review, please visit us at http://www.makeyourcaloriescount.com/2014/03/sg-restaurant-week-gaia-ristorante-bar.html
  • Deep fried egg yolk with parmesan cheese and spinach
  • Double-filled ravioli with Parma ham and parmesan,
with balsamic reduction and white balsamic foam
  • Grilled Hokkaido scallops in saffron cream with a dash of coffee powder
  • Veal tenderloin with warm tuna sauce and crispy capers

glitterflyed
 • 19 Oct 2013 35 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Full review and pictures at:travelshootandshare

One thing that stood up from the moment I stepped into GAIA was their impeccable service. The team of waiters and waitresses would greet you on your way to your table. At your table, bread and water were served quickly. The toilet is another feature to rave about. Food wise, the best dish was the grilled cod.

After Work, Anniversary

Huien Tan
 • 14 Oct 2013 10 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Let's start with the good things. Service at Gaia is amazing. We were asked a number of times how the food was, and they were responsive to our every desire.

A pity the food let the service staff down so badly. The dinner started with Tuna carpaccio. The tuna had been so marinated in watermelon juice, anyone with their eyes closed would not be able to tell the difference between the tuna and the watermelon. And no, the texture would not have helped any.

The second course of cream soup was a bit.... duh. I would have liked a fresh breadstick but it was alright.

The third course of pasta in a meat sauce is more american than sicilian. Interestingly, the sauce was watery but the pork was dry. Not sure how they did that.

The fourth course of cod fish was a mistake on my part. I could smell the fish before the waiter even came near our table. Creamed potatoes in a very rich lobster bisque-like sauce didn't help. It was cream on cream with dry overcooked and frankly, not so fresh fish.

The dessert course proved the best part of the meal. Well, the ice cream did. The strudel was soggy and stodgy instead of being light and flaky.

Quite a disappointment all around. How bad was it? Let's just say, I returned their discount card.