Back to Genki Sushi#03-32, Orchard Central, 181 Orchard Road

Healthy Eating3 votes

El Gastronomo
 • 29 Aug 2013 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Defying convention, Genki Sushi has ditched conveyorbelt-style sushi in favour of sushi that's delivered on a mini shinkansen. Oh and not forgetting, you order via an iPad that's on each table. Points for innovation over there.

I visited this joint 3 weeks back after queuing for half an hour (unfortunately, they do not accept reservations). The chirashi don was reasonably-priced at $7.90 and the seared salmon belly sushi was really good—I helped myself to a couple of plates of that. The fried soft-shell crab ($5.90) was also excellent.

I definitely recommend this place to anyone who loves affordable, good sushi.

After Work, Birthdays, Chillout, Relaxed, Trendy

ohmyling
 • 22 Oct 2012 37 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Please visit http://whattoeatah.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/genki-sushi/ for the complete review and uploaded photos. This is not just a normal plate of salmon sushi. It is not whisked around in a conveyor belt nor delivered to you by foot. It is transported on an express train-look alike from the kitchen right to your table. Did I mention that you order your sushi from an iPad?

Must tries: Sashimi, Seared Salmon with Black Pepper, Seared Crab with Black Pepper, Salmon Triple Flavour, Steamed Egg Custard with Crab Meat

After Work

Shopaholickk
 • 18 Sep 2012 71 reviews 3 followers
Overall
Came here for lunch on Saturday afternoon because my friend wanted to eat here. My first impression of the place was not a good one. It has plain, white decor with white lighting - very food-court like, and lots and lots of children screaming and running around. Seats are the typical high-backed benches next to the sushi belt type.

I came to realize why this restaurant shouts "family with noisy kids come here" (in addition to its ambiance already) when we discovered the restaurant's quirkiness of ordering food from an ipad which later comes on a race car to your table.

Food-wise was really just average. Their Sashimi roll things are much smaller than other sushi places of equal caliber. Softshell hand rolls were delicious though the rice was so loose it fell everywhere when we bit into it. Cold noodles, miso soup, salmon don, and a few other sushis we tried were good but average. I did not like how some of the rice/fish had been clearly cut and refrigerated and came cold. I thought the spicy salmon and spicy tunas were actually too spicy so much so that I couldn't taste the fish. Price-wise I think it was reasonable for the quality and amount it was.

Their service was friendly enough, though since race-cars are doing all the serving and water and tea is self-serve, there really isn't any interaction with staff until payment.

I would return to this place if I am asked to, but definitely not by choice, and definitely not on a child-packed weekend.

Lunch, Dinner, Vibrant/Noisy