Summary

bulalo soup, inihaw na pusit, pork sisig View all

Authentic filipino food

tried the sisig ($11.95) which is a popular local dish, consisting of chopped jowls, ears and liver, served on hot plate with egg. slightly to the oily side, its quite flavorful but i guess its an acquired taste.

also tried the bulalo soup which is made by cooking beef shanks and marrow bones until the collagen and fat has melted into the clear broth. Also tried the inihaw na pusit (bbq squid $16.95). The next dish i would like to try from this place will definitely be the pork knuckle!

Most helpful reviews for Gerry's Grill

Pinoy Food -- Some Hits, Some Misses; But Well-Priced

I brought 5 Singaporean friends to eat some pinoy food. Some of them have tried 7107 (Marina Square) and Bonifacio (Tanjong Pagar) in the past. Since Gerry's was a staple for me back in Manila, I was excited to get them to try what I consider a staple in my Manila list of where to eat.

Inihaw na Pusit (grilled squid) -- what a crowd pleaser! Everyone loved the sweet, salty taste of the squid. It was grilled well, not overcooked. However, I am not sure why it didn't come out "hot", maybe the airconditioning cooled the squid very fast after coming out of the kitchen. Added note: this came out first before other items, and we finished it in 2 minutes. We ordered another, and it came out before all our other dishes again! :)

Lechon Kawali (deep fried pork belly) -- sorry, but what a LET DOWN! I asked the waitress if the pork belly would have a crispy skin, and she said yes. We were choosing between this or the crispy pata. But since we ordered a lot of other dishes, we opted for this instead. The pork skin was chewy and gooey, and my local friends were very disappointed. The meat was tender... but come on, when you order lechon kawali... the crispy skin is the main event! We did not finish this dish.

Sinigang na Baboy (pork tamarind soup) -- this is decent, but I feel 7107 or Bonifacio serves better versions of this dish. It also lacks vegetables that the other two provided a lot. However, the pork is very soft and tasty.

Sizzling Bangus (milkfish) -- Not bad. However, the best part (again!) -- the belly -- is sorely missing. For non-Filipinos who has never eaten milkfish before, they might not really like the fish. (I bought frozen bangus from PH to SG [I think SeaKing brand] and it has more belly than the one in Gerrys)

Sisig -- Not as good as I remembered. It didn't have enough tang-y taste and it did not impress my local friends. Again, maybe its acquired taste? But I still like my sisig when I go back to Manila (like in Mesa or Cerchio or even.. Crocodile Grille) but the Gerry's one here wasn't something I will be coming back for.

Sizzling Kangkong -- letdown. :( Corner chinese fried kangkong in Singapore is better than this. Taste is not there.

Garlic Rice -- everyone loved this, one even commented that it tasted like chicken rice!

Buko Pandan -- local friends thought this was awesome!

Halo-halo -- nothing fancy, very sparse in ingredients.

Leche Flan -- normal flan! if you like leche flan, you can opt for this.

Maybe I should've ordered better for my local friends (crispy pata, tadyang, kaldereta?) but aside from the awesome squid, everything else was just a pass.

BUT!! The good news is, Gerry's prices are much lower than 7107 or Bonifacio, by a MILE! I was pleasantly surprised about their prices, considering that their restaurant/location looked well-designed and located in a prime area (Orchard).

Our entire meal came out at $100 bucks. This includes 3 rootbeers, 1 iced tea ($5) and three desserts. Everyone was surprised that it was well-priced.

If we have pinoy food cravings, we'll probably come back, but would probably order other stuff to try. :)

Disappointing Filipino Restaurant

Gerry’s Grill offers grilled seafood and authentic Filipino cuisines, with some 75 branches in the Philippines and outlets in Singapore, United States and Qatar. We visited the outlet at Cuppage Road near Somerset MRT (they also have outlets at Marina Bay Sands and Esplanade Singapore).

We were intrigued by the colourful banners of their grills and the crowd there (including quite a large number of Filipinos). However, we didn’t really enjoy our meal – the service was so-so, and we didn’t quite enjoy the taste of the food, though that was probably really a matter of personal taste rather than the quality of the food per se.

Our overall rating: 6 out of 10 [Ambience: 7, Service: 7, Taste: 5.5, Presentation: 6, Value-for-Money:7] As mentioned, the low rating for food was really a matter of personal taste. Those with a love for Filipino foods may feel differently.

For more information and pictures on the food, visit our blog : http://angiekayexplorer.com/2015/10/30/review-of-gerrys-restaurant-bar/

not the oroginal gerry's grill standard

the food served here is not the one i was expecting. too lousy and too substantard. thats alll to sum everything.

Not really my cup of tea sadly

Full post and pictures at toseetofeeltoeat

We ordered some deep fried chicken, some grilled squid, the sizzling kangkong and shredded pork. I have to say, it really requires an acquired taste to truly enjoy the food here. Perhaps it's the way the food is cooked or the spices used, but everything tastes kind of sour. As I've never tried Filipino food before, I'm really curious as to whether the usual Filipino food has this interesting sour tangy taste to it as well!   Anyway, the deep fried chicken was average. The batter tasted kind of sour and the meat was slightly tough, and was completely not juicy at all. What a bummer. he grilled squid was also slightly sour. It tasted like any normal grilled squid, nothing much to scream about. The sizzling kangkong was the only dish that was not sour, but I don't think it was done very well either. The vegetables were kind of limp and overcooked, not crunchy as one would expect fresh greens to be. Deep fried shredded pork which was tasty for the first few bites but just felt very oily after that. We didn't finish this dish because it did not taste like anything much after awhile and the oily taste was too persistent.

I doubt I would return but I concede that maybe it's truly an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire (and possibly will never acquire).