Reviews for Good Morning Nanyang Cafe 早安南洋 (Telok Ayer)

Asian
chin chai jiak

Hidden Gem of Singapore!

For in-depth review and more photos, feel free to visit this post on my blog:

After having it once, their Toasted Ciabatta immediately became one of my favorite kaya toast in Singapore. First I will talk about the kaya. Good morning nanyang cafe’s kaya is a little unique in the sense that it’s not smooth but rather grainy, which gives a very different and yet delightful texture. The butter was melted into the toasted Ciabatta bread. It maintained it’s softness on the inside while it’s really crispy on the outside. Arguably one of the best kaya toast in Singapore.
20 Nov 2013 • 8 reviews • 0 follower

Great food but disappointing service

This place was on the way to my office, making it a great place for breakfast. But after one visit, I decided not to return to this place. I was seated down on a table that wasn't cleared. It remained that way for 15 minutes. I approached the server to ask to clear it, but I was just brushed aside. Needless to say, it remained uncleared my entire meal there.

Service aside, the ciabatta bread with eggs were really good. Their eggs are very consistent, but I sometimes which they would crack the egg for you. But it seems not many shops do so now. Their nasi lemak is not made fresh, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I would not go back here, because the service was way too disappointing for me to give it a second chance.

The management of responded to this review:
20 Nov 2013
Hi Mr Kwa, my apologies for your bad experience! I remember your visit, we were extremely short-handed, you ordered eggs and a teh-c kosong and wanted to sit at the corner table that was not cleared, we were short of 3 staff that day (one staff broke her wrist, another had a medical appt, my part-time staff had a job interview). We have been struggling to find staff. Our nasi lemak is unfortunately outsourced, would love to do our own, but I don't have the bandwidth. My apologies again for your bad experience, I do hope that you understand that we did not do it on purpose and that we could not cope with the traffic that unfortunate day.
21 Sep 2013 • 32 reviews • 0 follower

Hidden Gem of Singapore!

For in-depth review and more photos, feel free to visit this post on my blog:

27 Aug 2013 • 3 reviews • 0 follower

A Gem

I thought I had tasted it all...the good, the so-so and the bad.

Therefore when a friend suggested that I tried Good Morning Nanyang, I had the "how-different-can-it-be" kind of attitude... And different it was!

To start off, the kaya toast was among the best I've ever tasted. The bread had the right amount of crispiness, and it actually had a distinct flavour of toast. (It's surprising to me how many toasts are rather tastelss) The kaya was rather "home-made", and I mean this in a positive sense. One can taste the rich pandan flavour, without being overwhelmingly sweet nor eggy. It's a delicate balance but I think they've got it.

The orange ciabatta was interesting...and actually tasty. The bits of orange packs a welcome tangy flavour which I find refreshing. I'm guessing that this is one of those accidental discoveries by an experimenter, which turned out delightfully well with our local kopi.

And of course, the kopi - done very well in my definition. Not bitter and yet packs a punch. I can't help but wonder why so much other local kopi miss the mark completely, lacking flavour, being too diluted, too bitter, etc.

As far as I'm concerned with the other joints, they'll be let down by either of the core items...i.e. kopi or toast. The difference I've discovered in Good Morning Nanyang is that it's got both the kopi, toast and foodstuff right.