Review for Habitat Coffee

EuropeanItalianWestern
Address: 233 Upper Thomson Road, 574355
01 Aug 2014
Overall

Good sandwiches, better desserts.

See the full review with pictures here: http://pickledpeas.wordpress.com/2014/08/01/dinner-at-habitat-coffee-thomson-road/   After struggling to get a spot for saturday brunch here for ages (it's like really trendy amongst teenagers and 20 somethings), we finally came here for dinner one day.   Everyone raves about their truffle fries, so of course we had to try it. It was alright I guess, about on par with the one at addictions, but no better than the one at Cafe Etc. So no idea why there's so much hype about it. Don't people know the strong taste in nearly all truffle oils are from artificial flavourings rather than infused truffle slices? I like the artificial truffle flavouring though! Haha. Just wish they didn't overprice it.   We had the ocean linguine which was aglio olio style with prawns and mussels with lots of wok hei. Nice. But the prawns were obviously frozen. I gather if you are eating here you should not mind this kind of thing. After all they are a cafe, not like a full blown Italian restaurant.   We also had the tuna melt with sundried tomato bread that was really nice! Not many places do melts in Singapore, much less a decent melt. Of course this is not as legit as the typical american melt where they griddle the generously buttered bread (usually sliced white or texas toast) on a grill and then stuff the sliced cheese inbetween, but I guess they are trying to achieve a more artisanal flavour by using sundried tomato bread. I don't like sundried tomatoes haha but LZ loved it. The raisins in the tuna salad worked too.   I was in a "let's try more interesting desserts instead of defaulting to the chocolate one" phase (as you will see in the subsequent antoinette post) so we had a strawberry flan. Not too bad, but the shortcrust pastry was decidedly undelicate. If you've watched About a Boy, it's got the sort of texture that Marcus could have hurled it at the ducks in the pond and killed one.   and the lava cake with homemade vanilla bean ice cream. Okay yes, this is still chocolate, but I could have gotten this and the tiramisu with cocoa powder, or their chocolate truffle cake!   Let's look at that lava cake again. zomg. This was actually a decent lava cake, slightly flatter than I'm used to but the pastry is tender and the inside is completely liquid and perfect.

More reviews of Habitat Coffee

Overall

not bad food but long wait...

it was a Sunday morning and 4 waiting staff but food from the kitchen took really long. each dish took up to 20 mins to arrive. seems like its only 1 cook in the kitchen.

Food standard dropped

Habitat Coffee has always been one of my fav cafes and it was my fifth time lunching here (the last time I dined here was last year). I have to say that the food standard has dropped.

Ordered the Big Ben as usual and was really disappointed when it came. The dish looked rather unappetizing, food was very oily and tasted not so great - as compared to the past few years.
Truffle fries was average as well, it was way too crispy and you can't really taste the truffle.

Coffee is still good so I'll only be back for that and not the food.

Brunch at Habitat

Read the full review at https://www.facebook.com/vegetablog/posts/1694239197476631

Menu: http://www.habitatcoffee.com.sg/Habitat_menu_fixed.pdf

I was quite surprised that it did not have a vegetarian sandwich option as it is usually the easy go-to option for cafes.

My pick: Thai Lemongrass Salad (the prawns were substituted with mushrooms) & Take Shiitake Pasta (Sauteed wild mushrooms aglio olio linguine) ...

Chilli Crab Linguine

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

We parked at a public car park nearby and took the short walk to Habitat Coffee. The cafe seems to be staffed by an all-male crew and one of them ushered us to the second level. We took a seat along the wall with a glass panel that overlooked the first floor and I was actually very amused by that seat! We could spy on everybody on the first floor and it was not obvious at all. Or maybe it was obvious but you could not blame us since there was literally nowhere else we could be looking.

Chilli Crab Linguine ($17). So generous with the crab meat, so interesting with the fried man tous at the side, and so al dente was the linguine! This was worth the raves. I do think the sauce was a little too thick and it could have done better with less tomato sauce and a lighter flavour, but this was definitely still good. I will be back for their coffee and truffle fries!

Never going back there

Amb/first impressions
 Greeted with friendly waitresses, clean and looks pretty spacious, until you go to the upper platform. Im 6foot 3 and i can hardly walk up straight body because the ceiling is so low. tables are so close to each other that even when i squeeze into the table allocated to me, i bumped the seats and tables of other customers (FYI - i'm slim)
 Noisy, very very noisy, filled with gossiping women especially
 Students seem to like to study and hog seats

cakes - crumble easily and not fantastic, some too sweet
 pasta - too small portion, their 'famous' mushroom pasta in cream sauce too watery
 egg benedict dish - not bad
 churros - not bad

value
 not worth, cheap ingredients, overpriced food, that doesnt taste good enough

service
 above average in terms of speed and awareness
 friendly
 what's weird is you have to order from the counter, so if youre a tall man like me, rather than to squeeze out of the cluster of table and seats, to the counter and back, i would rather walk out. For goodness sake, just take our orders waiters/waitresses.

Overall, if you are cafe crazy, petite, too much money to spend, and dont mind it being noisy, this is the place for you. otherwise, look somewhere else