Summary

potato gratin, grilled meat, rib eye steak, Hanger steak, Ratatouille, french onion soup, Bean sides, Caesar Salads, Cheese sauce, Classic Rib Eye, Roasted Pineapple, Rump steak ratatouille, Stewed Shallots Sauce, baked potato, chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream, creme brulee, steak burger, tatare View all
Dinner, Lunch, After Work, Children/Family, Boys Night Out, Large Groups/Gathering, Girls Night Out, Quiet, Romance/First Dates, Chillout, Business Dining, People Watching, Ala Carte, Birthdays, Hidden Find View all

Decent steak and large portions of sides

See all photos here http://www.pepperminter.com/2014/08/hippopotamus-restaurant-grill-marina.html

A decent place for steak if you're not too picky. Can be a little crowded, should make reservations to avoid waiting.

Most helpful reviews for Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill

Bad service and hair in food!

Ordered a rump steak well done. The steak was medium well instead. One of the side dish potato gratin was delicious but found a hair inside when I was half finished with it! When I told the waitress, she said they put in oven so it's not possible?! Then she took it away and later returned and place a new gratin on the table without a word! Felt so indignant that I asked to speak to the manager. The manager at least had s good attitude and apologized on her behalf. Honestly, I was so appalled by the service and given the mediocre food quality and high price, I will not return again.

Raw steak, bad service

Dined here a while back.. Asked for medium well, got raw, bloody steak (it was dripping!).. worse still, server (with a bad attitude) said there's no way to rectify and the steak will be well done if sent back, came back tough and overcooked.. really bad.. Don't even into this grill restaurant that cannot even get the meat right..

Microwave Taste Restaurant Grill

Just got my worse meal ever in my entire life. Went to Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill this evening paid for $120 for 2 pax to eat Microwave taste grill steak. The meat looks grill but does not taste grill with a weird flavor. After eating a few pieces, I asked the Restaurant manager how come I cannot taste BBQ/Charcoal grill flavor which is the case on almost of the restaurant grill in town and the restaurant manager replied to me and said "Oh, in Singapore ..., we do not use BBQ/Charcoal grill instead we use Electric grill imported from Paris. It is the first time that I heard a restaurant grill uses an Electric grill to grill the steak. The taste looks very weird and it looks like it just came out of a microwave.

If you wanna try out roasted chicken in microwave way then you are at the right place. Not recommended at all and Good luck to you and I want my monies back and extremely disappointed and spoiled out my whole evening. Even Astons taste much much better with a real grill taste at last.

Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill

About this Restaurant:
Created in Paris in 1968 (France), the Hippopotamus Restaurant Grill is known for their meats (Tres Bien!) especially in the Paris region, with the widest selections of meat cuts. Check out the photos at  http://mrupupup.blogspot.sg/2013/09/hippopotamus-restaurant-grill.html

Prices: Range beef cuts like skirt cut of about $19 to high end range of beef steaks of $100 and alos got burgers, desserts and drinks

Mrupupup had Hanger Steak ($20 estimate) and their BBQ ribs ($20 estimate). The beef steak was very juicy, tender and some blood still oozing out (order medium done). The ribs was very nice and ask for extra BBQ sauce.

Eatery's selling point is its wide range of beef cuts at affordable prices. Because the restaurant is located along a rather quiet stretch on the ground floor of Marina Square Shopping Mall, it offers an "al fresco" dining area alongside the pedestrian walkway as well as seating in the inner chambers which offer more privacy. Exposed brick walls with red, square lights complete the cafe like setup.

The beef steak came with a basket of bread (good with butter!). Tantalizing medium done steak was tender and juicy, tasted better with their special bearnaise sauce and excellent side dishes like green beans, delicious potato gratin, hot baked whole potato with sour cream and ratatouille (vegetables dish) had great aroma and tasted unique.

Overall experience was like going to France to have nice meal, but it was in Singapore! Mrupupup would go again to Hippopotamus to eat more Meats!

beef and more

Food/Drink 3 | Value 3 | Ambience 3 | Service N/A

The ABR Holdings Group is going more upmarket, well, just a little. With their latest franchise, they are bringing in Hippopotamus from Paris whereby the theme is the love for meats- and the meat here is the steak.

At a lunch tasting, I started with the escargot ($11.90) which consisted of six large succulent snails. Lots of herbs were used in this recipe.

I also tried the Bone Marrow ($10.40 for 300g). I must say that this is one of the largest bone marrow that I have eaten in awhile and compared to the smaller marrows, it has a more fatty and slightly less strong taste.

I attempted the Hippopotamus Classic Burger ($14.90). While the beef looked dry, it was actually done medium but it is a little on the pricy side for a plain burger.

The conquest of the day however, would be the Prime Rib ($109.90). At 1.2kg a pop, that can be a lot of beef. I finished my half easily as part of the weight includes the bone, but my dining partner struggled after a few bites and I brought myself to finish her part. Overall, its a lot of beef but it was negated by the fatty portions so guys, the daunting dish is still doable.

For desserts I tried the chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. I thought it was quite good, with the chocolate cake being really rich, pairing well with the vanilla bean ice cream. For ice cream lovers, do check out the profiteroles, which have generous portions of ice cream packed in between chocolate sauce laced puffs.