Back to Itacho Sushi#B1-05, Bugis Junction, 200 Victoria Street

StFood
 • 22 Aug 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Always visit Itacho because of the good food, but staff do not pay attention to customers and are impolite. Particularly my latest visit, despite empty seats tables, and empty seats at the sides, waitress placed us all squashed together at the counter. There wasn't even space for our arms. When I moved to an empty seat beside to leave some space, I was asked to move back to my squashed position by the waitress. I explained I didn't wish to eat so uncomfortably. She insisted I should otherwise she would place someone in between anyways. She did eventually, and we couldn't eat without hitting each others elbows. What made me unhappy was when I went to pay shortly after, I saw at least two empty two seater tables at the front...

Ala Carte

FreshFromTheFoodiesMouth
 • 29 May 2014 20 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For full review with photos, please visit http://freshffm.blogspot.sg/2014/05/itacho-sushi-bugis-junction-two-and.html

Fatty Tuna with Spring Onion Roll ($6.50)

First off, there is a lack of balance in its flavor, in that the tuna used was inconsistent and some of the rolls had an overwhelming taste of seaweed.  The rice was cold, again disrupting the delicate balance of the dish.  Lastly, there was a clear lack of physical strength put into rolling the sushi, resulting in a brittle structure that easily falls apart.  The tiny air pockets trapped between rice grains also affect the overall taste slightly.

With that said, the Sushi does score on many other factors, all of which remained consistent with the other dishes I ordered.  The rice used was of good quality (which is precisely why it shouldn't be served cold to demean its taste).  It had just the right amount of stickiness, chewiness and fragrance. it was also seasoned well by the chef(s) to have just the right mix of vinegar, salt and sugar, resulting in the subtle but sophisticated style of smooth, ever-so-slightly sour-sweetness that any properly done sushi rice should have.  The Tuna was also of good quality, with a robust, fatty taste that melts in your mouth and leaves a delicate lingering aftertaste in your mouth.

Justin Foo
 • 22 Apr 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Firstly, I do not agree that the sushi here is cheap. $2 for a peice of sushi is affordable to some but cannot be considered cheap.

Non the less it was the service that annoyed me the most. We asked for tea, and it did not arrive until we asked for it again 10 minutes after our food arrived.
I added an unagi don to our order which the waitress promtly forgot. I then asked the waitress about the missing item, and told her to cancel it if she had not put in the order. Instead of compling with me, she came back and told me she just put in the order.

The unagi don itslef was terrible. there was no unagi sauce on it at all, and was instead drowned in some kind of savory soup. When I told the servers behind the counter about it, instead of offering to take it back or change it, they began insisting that "many customers like it that way". They then asked if I wanted them to remake it in some other way, but (call me sensitive) I had enough and just wanted to leave.