Reviews for Katsuya

4.6

AsianJapanese
Address: 85 East Coast Road, 428787

Delicious Katsu!

I have been frequenting Katsuya over the past three years and have enjoyed all of the meals I had there. The katsu is delicious and not as oily as other popular katsu restaurants in town. The light colour of the katsu crumb is also indicative of the good quality fresh oil that they used (as opposed to the dark cooking oil that has been re-used for frying many times).

Their seasonal buta kakuni with Japanese mustard is a delicious melts-in-your-mouth treat, and is a must try dish if it is on the menu.

The husband and wife duo who runs the shop as a team are warm and friendly, and it's a place I would love to go more often, if only it is not so far!
• 27 Jul 2015 • 2 reviews • 0 follower

Delicious Katsu!

• 07 Oct 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

Journey to Katsuya !!!

Overall
A Friend recommended me to this place which specializes in Tonkatsu(my luv). We headed there as soon as we could from J.East. It was very much full as it was wkend evening.

Upon entering, I was told tat waiting time est. 30mins. Since i'm here already.. So y not;) [1 Chef in Kitchen 1 Service in Hall..] LOL (Muz b kidding me.) waited ard 25mins all my orders came out. SURPRISED! Inspite we order Wagyu(tataki), Mix Katsu, Sashimi & etc. Fd was really well waited and travelled for. Non-oily is kinda of the "KEY" here(Sunflower Oil). Waited a little to get some service for my sake.. but it's totally alright. We aren't looking for fast food anyway. Was told tat their PT staff went holiday tat's y left with 2 of them... Still, well organized. We'll definitely be back again soon.
• 03 Oct 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

Average only...

Overall
Saw the review in HGW and decided to try it since it is near my house too. I've been a tonkotsu lover all these while and have tried Saboten and Tonkinchi but Katsuya is still not there to compete with both yet. They have a specialty dish which is their lamb katsu but it wasn't fantastic at all. The lamb got a strong smell and too fatty. I didn't like it personally. As for the tonkotsu, we ordered the pork loin, it was ok only as the underneath crispy part went soggy. Ebi is so so also as the prawn is big but not crunchy. We asked for more wasabi but was told to pay $1 for it. Then when we asked to top up the cabbage, only those who order a main dish by itself get to top up. If u order a mix set to share then you are not eligible for the free flow rice and cabbage. Well, how much can a cabbage and wasabi cost? In total we spent $400 in that restaurant itself but was declined for some of our simplest request. I thought it didn't leave a good impression by all the encounters. But of coz the good part is the sashimi and the sake selections which are very nice and fresh...