Summary

Value3
12-hour pork, black-ink risotto, Avocado-Wasabi Tuna Tartare + Flour Chips, Angel hair with cream of ebiko, Raw's Seafood Ceviche, Soft shell crab, pork belly, seared scallops View all
Dinner, After Work, Hidden Find, Chillout, Romance/First Dates, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Quiet, Relaxed, Girls Night Out, Anniversary, Boys Night Out, Large Groups/Gathering, Private Dining, Waterfront View all

Completely Overrated

For pics and an in depth review, please visit my blog here:

I've heard such amazing things about Kilo from colleagues, friends, magazines, reviews (everywhere, really!),  and was absolutely dying to try it. Unfortunately, I was completely disappointed and didn't think it lived up to the hype at all.

We were served by a waitress who seemed completely blase and disinterested in answering any of our questions. The food was decent, but definitely not mind blowing.  Our favourite dish of the night was the avocado wasabi tuna tartare, which was incredibly fresh and perfectly balanced by the creamy avocado. The crispy squid, on the other hand, had way too much batter on it causing it to become soggy really fast. Lastly, their 12 hour roasted pork belly wasn't as succulent as we'd hoped and the pork cracklings which accompanied it were too big and chewy to bite into!

The decor was incredibly raw and minimalistic, which was quite refreshing but not really my cup of tea.

To find out more of my thoughts on their dishes as well as what interesting concoction arrived when we ordered the gyoza, please visit my blog above!

Most helpful reviews for Kilo Kitchen (Kallang)

Seek and ye shall find some pretty divine cuisine

Bit off the beaten track is Kilo.  Even when standing right outside the building you'd be hard pressed to tell it's where this little gem is hiding, just beside Kallang river.

Seek it out though (advance booking essential BTW), and you will be rewarded with a low key interior, but high quality cuisine.  Bare polished concrete floors, and walls open to the elements make for a casual, relaxed atmosphere which I really like.

The food certainly impresses.  Spicy mint salmon sashimi and tuna wasabi tartare were different takes on classic dishes.  For meat lovers, the slow cooked beef short ribs, and the chilli lime spicy pork were both surefire hits.

Price wise, it's good value for the quality of food. I'll definitely return here.

Unique quality food and location

Doesn't look much from outside - but as ABC said if you judge a book by a cover, do you judge the look by the lover ?

Anyway as you ponder that let me describe our scrumptious meals. Went with me mum over from blighty and me fiancee (second time with her).

We shared starter - bbq ribs with potatoes - very nice bbq sauce - best yet in Singapore I've found.

Mains I had fillet steak - perfectly cooked for me at medium rare (on menu in Australian ie tenderloin), fiancee had some very nice lamb rack - and mum hit a gem with rabbit.

Washed down with nice red - and finished off with lava cake (choc) with some lovely strawberries and ice cream - again we shared.

Minor criticism with service on both occasions we've been here we've been told something we ordered is off menu when it is not. And main courses seemed stretched in terms of serving each dish. But the food is fantastic and fresh.

Infuriating service

Ambience 1| Service 1

We made a reservation for 2 people and were horrified to have been allocated the worst seat in the restaurant - right next to the kitchen where one could feel the heat.    We asked to change the tables but was turned down. Yet, another group of 2 next to us and arrived later successfully changed their table. This was absolutely infuriating. The server told us that the other group could change tables just because they had a birthday celebration.

Infuriating service

Ambience 1| Service 1

We made a reservation for 2 people and were horrified to have been allocated the worst seat in the restaurant - right next to the kitchen where one could feel the heat.    We asked to change the tables but was turned down. Yet, another group of 2 next to us and arrived later successfully changed their table. This was absolutely infuriating and we left.

Overpriced hipster food

A meal at kilo will set you back a few hundred dollars and you will likely get some decent food. is it worth the money? are $8 lattes worth it? Well some hipsters think so. And that is the story behind Kilo.

I would imagine that it was started by hipsters for hipsters, who want to be different in every way including what they eat.

food is generally okay here, but not the best. the outlandish creations work sometimes but for the most part fall far from being acceptable to regular folks.