Review for Kilo Kitchen (Kallang)

3.7

AsianBeerEuropeanFusionItalianJapaneseWesternWine
Address: #02-01, TURE, 66 Kampong Bugis, 338987
08 Jul 2013
Overall

Kilo Kitchen is a Must Visit!

The Kilo Kitchen at Kamping Bugis made us keel over with full and satisfied tummies!

Sometimes a place comes along that can lighten up even my jaded and cynical palate. I was taken to Kilo as a surprise dinner by a certain special person who revealed nothing to me beforehand about where we were going or what was for dinner. All that I knew was that I had absolutely no idea where I was going as I was led through a previously unexplored quiet part of town near Lavender MRT station, heart pounding as I wondering what was going to happen? Was I going to get raped? Was I going to get kidnapped by sexually aggressive militant activists from the Filipino terrorist organisation the MILFs? Would they then lock me in a cell for the rest of my life and force me to breed, constantly, with their more beautiful female members in some sick eugenics program? I thought of all these things, until I arrived; with a huge erection; at a non-descript white building in the middle of a field...

Read more about our dinner at Kilo Kitchen here: https://singaporenoms.wordpress.com/2013/07/07/kilo-kitchen-review/

Avocado-Wasabi Tuna Tartare + Flour Chips

More reviews of Kilo Kitchen

loved this outlier place

It took me quite a bit of walking from Lavendar MRT to find this place, but it was well worth it.

The setting looks like an abandoned building, but it starts getting alive when one enters the building.

At a recent visit, I had some tuna sashimi which was very fresh, as well as an interesting rendition of bulgogi wrap in lettuce. I liked the richness of the bulgogi.

Other than the delectable light bites, Kilo offers a nice "out of town" vibe in a relaxing atmosphere that is ideal for drinks to catch up with the boys.

Service is friendly and efficient.

Overpriced hipster food

A meal at kilo will set you back a few hundred dollars and you will likely get some decent food. is it worth the money? are $8 lattes worth it? Well some hipsters think so. And that is the story behind Kilo.

I would imagine that it was started by hipsters for hipsters, who want to be different in every way including what they eat.

food is generally okay here, but not the best. the outlandish creations work sometimes but for the most part fall far from being acceptable to regular folks.
Overall

Bad service despite decent food

Called before making a trip there since it's not very accessible. Was told to "just come" and that no reservation is required. After waited for half an hour, was told that the existing guests, who have made reservation were only seated an hour ago and that "they can't be leaving so soon". Knowing that your restaurant is fully booked for 8.30pm seating, why tell us to "just come"? when we called at 9pm?
Upon leaving, I was told to make a reservation at least one week in advance before the next visit to avoid disappointment. I suppose I will visit the other outlet at Orchard instead - the service crew there are much friendlier.
Overall

Top Notch Food complimented by Great Service.

Located on a small road at Kallang/Lavender area parking is only available at URA parking 5 mins walk away.

Chef plays around with Asian flavors to create spectacular fusion food. Themes from Thailand, Korea and Australia are present in the cooking. Must try is the Soft Shell Crab and the  grilled Snapper. Observed the prawn spaghetti a for favorite with the many other table.

Great attentive staff makes the dining experience even better.

Note: This place is not air conditioned.

Good food and service

We ordered wasabi tuna tartare, cream of ebiko pasta and squid ink rice. The food is outstanding. The staff are attentive, friendly and helpful. The place is a bit warm though. However, we will definitely go back to try the other dishes in the menu.