fishmaw soup6 votes
thai minced pork3 votes

Weekday Set Lunch from only $9.90 + FREE home-made Barley drink!. Other deals are available, find out more

Cheng Ching Ch
 • 12 Jul 2014 4 reviews 17 followers
Overall
The diner was quite empty when we visited.
Staff slammed the drinks on the table,  which surprised us.
I noticed white dots and furry remnants (which looks disgusting, like larvae) on one of my leaves. My appetite lost instantly, and i wondered whether the vegetables were being washed.
I couldn't get any staff attention, cos the pretty thai staff was just playing with her phone while the other ignoring me at the counter.
Worst,  i was given the explanation this is normal. Really?  s*** on my vege? When i disagreed, he just gave a half hearted sorry.
No remedy,  no compensation.
I feel stupid paying him for the food and service. Not stepping in again,  tyvm

runningman
 • 13 May 2014 283 reviews 51 followers
Overall
Full Kombi Rocks (Diner) review here: http://ivanteh-runningman.blogspot.sg/2014/05/kombi-rocks-diner.html

Part retro diner, part vintage museum, Kombi Rocks (Diner) took over a now defunct coffee shop called Koon Kee at this location along Yio Chu Kang Road. Popular for their affordable Asian style food and great ambience, Kombi Rocks (Diner) can see queues of up to 1 hour, unless you make reservations in advance!

The ambience at Kombi Rocks (Diner) is retro / vintage themed. Decor is a combination of tributes to music, mostly featuring the Beatles, and tributes to vehicles. Furniture is a throwback to the past, with old barber chairs or wooden coffee shop chairs, mixed with metallic tables. Space is small, and tables are packed quite close together. Even the layout is different, ranging from family style zi char table dining, to cozy couple 2 seaters.

The fleet of classic / retro vehicles here are available for rental, and are normally taken up by wedding packages. Toy memorabilia displayed in the cabinets are for sale. And on Tuesday and Thursday nights, Kombi Rocks (Diner) hosts live musicians playing golden oldies.

Service at Kombi Rocks (Diner) is semi self-service, where you order and make payment at the counter, but staff wil serve your order to the table. Staff are generally young, perhaps part-timers, and quite friendly, able to make recommendations if asked. Food is also served quite quickly even despite peak periods, normally between 10 - 20 minutes.

Food at Kombi Rocks (Diner) revolves around Asian cuisine, featuring a mix of influences ranging from Thai, to Chinese, to Singaporean. But there is some hint of Western style influence as well, as Kombi Rocks (Diner) is also a bar, with a decent range of drinks / beer / wine, and bar snacks. Prices are very affordable per dish, but you'll need to reserve a table if you don't want to wait too long!

The bottled beers here are among the cheapest in Singapore, with a Beer Stella Artois at SGD $8, and a German Beer Krombacher Weizen at SGD $9.

I love the intense red bean flavour of the Pulut Hitam Red Bean Ice Cream (SGD $5). Studded throughout with red beans, the consistency is smooth, but doesn't melt easily, great for the sunny weather in Singapore.

A twist on the classic Chinese Red Wine Chicken from Foochow / Fujian cuisine, the Red Wine Chicken Wings (SGD $15) are deep fried chicken wings doushed with a Chinese red wine sauce. The chicken wings have a crisp, savoury skin, and well cooked but juicy meat. The sauce is lovely, with a tinge of tangy and sweet... Very good!

The Hand Made Thai Fishcake (SGD $8) is excellent! 3 lumps of well cooked fishcake, the exterior skin is crisp and flavourful with herbs and Thai spices, while the interior fish meat is soft and smooth. Not too oily, I only wish there was a bigger portion of it!

Food Menace
 • 26 Apr 2014 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Waited an hour before the first dish to arrive,  after my partner finished his portion,  I turn around to see someone who arrived 30 mins later than us eating something similar to what I ordered.

Asked  about my food yet nobody bothered to get back to me.

Disappointment.

Full review at : http:// thefoodmenace.blogspot.com/2014/04/kombi-rocks-not.html