Summary

fishmaw soup, Mee Goreng, fried rice, thai minced pork, wok hei horfun, Otah, steamed fish teochew style View all
After Work, Dinner, Hidden Find, Lunch, Children/Family, Boys Night Out, Chillout, Birthdays, Girls Night Out, Quiet, Romance/First Dates View all

A great hangout with friends & family

A very cozy vintage themed cafe nestled along yio chu kang rd. Loved their giant drink floats! A cool hangout any time of the day. Surprised they have some vintage vehicle shop & barber beside also. Due to lack of pics here, I decided to contribute to more here. :)

Most helpful reviews for Kombi Rocks Diner

left a bad taste in my mouth

Dinner started very promising with a giant coke float (very generous ice cream for the amount of coke) and the kombi platter was quite exciting, almost like a traditional banquet appetizer dish. The crabmeat omelette was one of the tastiest. The crabmeat fried rice had a lot of wok "hei" and delivered. Then it went downhill from there. The Sze Chuan soup was sweet, the beef hor fun was sweet, kailan with taukee was sweet, the mince pork with basil only tasted peppery. It has been 4 hours since my dinner and no matter how much water I drank, and mouth washed used, the pungent garlicky taste still remains. I might be back to try the yam paste. And have a drink. But I think $130 could be spent better else where...

Hang out for friends and not for family

The ambience is unique, with the late 60s kind of settings. However, for the selection of food, I feel that it's a good, place for friends to chill out together, rather than a proper family dinner. Our family ordered a bowl Fish Maw Soup, a small piece of Otah, a plate of Spinach, a plate of grilled chicken wings, a plate of Ikan billis, 3 root beer floats, 5 bowl of rices & 2 durian ice-cream which cost us $107 in total... A place that is pretty value for money though all the portion of the dishes were small. Well, to us, overall, it tasted more like a home-cooked food in a typical 60s coffee shop setting. Haha!

super cool hangout

a 50s shophouse filled with vintage memorabilia, watches, guitars, clocks, fans, bikes, bicycles etc. being a vintage vespa fan myself, how can i not love this freaking awesome place? check out the cool volkswagen van parked right outside the cafe!

_____________________________

Little Charlene and I love to check out all the best cafes in Singapore!
Signing off, wanderingbeansprout

PS: Check out my profile to my link to all the best hangouts and cafes we have visited in Singapore! Over 100 and still counting ;)

Cosy place but sky-high prices with really horrible food

Review can be found here, http://simplemakan.blogspot.sg/2012/07/kombi-rocks-yio-chu-kang.html

Went here to try out but was very disappointed. Service was totally not there. Prices were expensive. And the food was really very stale. Was really upset.

Regards,

SimplaMakan

Waste of time, rude service and food is ...not Thai - Chinese but stale Chinese

heard about this place through facebook and i like the vintage nostalgia theme.I was also keen on buying some of the memoribilia so went down for dinner on a fri night.

First off, the mango fried fish at $28 was recommended by the chef. I had the red wine chicken too and hor fun beef and vegetables. The fish was fit for my cat to eat, it is so paltry a seving and only the sliced mango added a dash of sour and spice. Otherwise, it is poorly cooked. The hor fun was passable but full of MSG while the beef must have been stored in the freezer for weeks,you can taste it when it is tenderized versus when it is fresh. The red wine chicken was the only ok dish but even that was too dry and too expensive at 12 or was it 14 bucks!.

The service was terrible, we waited 45 minutes and wrong orders kept coming while the waiter looked clueless, the ice water water came 20 mins into the dinner. And when we complained, the lady owner said its Friday night not in a frenly way..

My first and last time..oh ya ...i did snap a few shots of the cars but by the time i paid the bill of about 70 $ !! for 2 people ..i was not in the mood for anything else! (Hide)