fishmaw soup6 votes
thai minced pork3 votes

Chiu Yen Phua
 • 16 Feb 2014 239 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Food - http://phuachiuyen.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/kombi-rocks-66-yio-chu-kang-road-s545568/

It's like chinese zi char. Not too pricey but food tasted very normal...... quite a vintage place.

paraphrase
 • 11 Feb 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I had a casual dinner with my friends on 10/02/13 at the place, and we ordered the following: 2 jugs of root beer float, 4 bowls of rice, 1 plate of prawn roll (about 8 small pieces), 1 plate of Thai Fishcake, 1 plate of Pork Ribs with Lychee (signature), 1 Red Wine Fried Chicken (signature), and 1 Plate of stir fried Kailan with Taupok.

First of all, I'm surprised at why the chef (Chef Hai?) would call the two signature dishes I mentioned above their best dishes, as it was certainly not the case. The quality of the food was not worthy of mention, especially the meat dishes we ordered. While a single trip there may not be entirely representative of the range of items they serve there, the dishes we had was enough to send us looking somewhere else. Their lychee pork ribs had not a hint of lychee goodness in its seasoning, and the pork ribs were not only badly burnt at many places, spoiling the appearance for the dish, but also full of fats (not the choiciest selection of pork ribs). Priced at $14 for not more than 6 pieces of small pork ribs, I would rather have a plate of coffee pork ribs served at a food court Tze-Char place with more meat, more punch in its flavour, and at only $10.

Moving on, the fried red wine chicken, also at over $10 (I forgot the exact amount), was entirely made up of chicken wings, without drumlets or boneless chicken chunks. We imagined the dish to be made up of the latter, dusted with flour and then dunked in a red wine savoury sauce and then fried to perfection. Unfortunately, there was no trace of red wine, minimal meat, and just high prices.

I swear to you that if they put images of the 2 "signature" dishes on their menu, many people wouldn't order them.

The only exception, being the prawn roll, had a thin bronze skin and filled with crispy chunks of what I think is chestnut, and soft meat fillings, goes really good with rice when dipped with its honey sauce.

By the way, its dessert selection is really limited (only Tiramisu and Yam Paste to mention, and I think Ice Cream), so I wouldn't recommend birthday celebrations there (or you could bring your own cake there).

I was disappointed at how shrewd their business operations were, as they refused to fulfill the 50% discount off our Prawn Roll and Thai Fishcake orders, as written on their menu as a Monday promotional offer (they have different promotions for different days of the week). Although we could have verified before making the orders, there was no mention on their storefront or restaurant tables that promotions are invalid during the Chinese New Year period. I find it unreasonable and unconvincing to use CNY as an excuse since the first few days of the Lunar Chinese New Year are already over. Talk about profit margins!

My friends and I strongly believe that the place survives on the novelty of its decor and the reclusiveness of its location (a quiet place to relax, despite the playing of uninspired mainstream radio tunes through their restaurant speakers).

Dinner, Hidden Find, Trendy

espie36
 • 16 Nov 2013 70 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Kombi themed restaurant and I guess a must visit for all Kombi fans in Singapore since the owner has 4-5 Kombis out of the 13 in Singapore.
But the food is soso and tad pricey for tzechar dishes like the crispy noodles with fish maw $16). More pics and details at http://www.eatprayflying.com/kombi-rocks-diner-yio-chu-kang-road/
  • More pics at http://www.eatprayflying.com/kombi-rocks-diner-yio-chu-kang-road/