L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano has closed.

Summary

Tagliatelle with Chantarelle Mushrooms and Summer Truffle, Summer Truffle pasta, four cheese pizza and earl-grey creme brulee, tagliatelle with chantarelle mushrooms summer truf View all
Dinner, Lunch, Wine Lists, Business Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Romance/First Dates, Quiet, Wheelchair Friendly View all

one of the better Italian restaurants around

for pictures: http://hungryinsingapore.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/langolo-ristorante-dinner/

Zuppa di Pomodori A.Marzano – $16.00++

S.Marzano Tomato Soup

This portion is half of the original as we told the waiters we were sharing and they kindly separated it into 2 for us before serving. I kind of like this idea.

The tomato soup was very fragrant and tasted like it was made from fresh roasted tomatoes.

Mozzarella di Bufala Campana con Pomodori di Sicilia e Melanzane – $26.00++

Buffalo Mozzarella with Sicily Tomato and Eggplant

Again, the portion was halved for us. The buffalo mozzarella has less dairy flavour than the typical cow mozzarella. It not only looks like poached egg, the texture is similar too, soft and squishy.

Rucola con Scaglie di Parmigiano Reggiano – $15.00++

Rocket Salad with Parmigiano Reggiano

This salad was just plain rocket with dressing and parmasen. I like rocket salad so it’s fine for me. The leaves were crisp and fresh.

Tagliolini al Ragu d’Anatra e Caprino – $28.00++

Homemade Tagliolini with Duck Ragout and Goat Cheese

Unfortunately, the 2 pastas I wanted to try out (ravioli and gnocchi) were not available today. The tagliolini was al dente and very springy. I love the texture. Parmasen was grated on the pasta freshly upon serving. The sauce had a distinct goat cheese taste but after a few mouths the taste died down as my palate became accustomed to it. This was alright but I still wished I could try the ravioli or gnocchi.

Spaghetti Freshi con Gamberi Crystal Bay e Pomodoro Fresco – $30.00++

Homemade Spaghetti with Crystal Bay Prawns and Fresh Tomato

I prefer the tagliolini to the spaghetti as the spaghetti seemed to be less springy. The sauce tasted similar to the tomato soup.

Torta di Mele con Gelato alla Vaniglia – $13.00++

Apple Cake with Vanilla Gelato

The cake was moist and warm and paired well with the creamy vanilla gelato. The bunch of berries which look like lingonberries were very sour.

We were given some petit fours after our meal.

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano

well executed

Food/Drink 4| Ambience 4

I remember the spot that L'Angolo (which means "corner" in Italian) occupied, almost bustling with crowd every evening. But many Singapore diners are driven by "celebrity chefs" and the "herd mentality" instinct such that when Chef Osvaldo left, so did the bulk of the crowd.

Osvaldo may be gone, but the incoming Chef-partner Giuliano Dascato ain't no pushover either, having previously worked at some top notch restaurants before arriving in Singapore.

At a recent tasting, I managed to try some of his offerings and I must say that some of them were quite impressive.

I started with the Sweet Capsicum with Swimmer Crab and Zucchini ($24), which had a nice thick generous portion of crab meat with a nice mix of sweet and seafood flavours - not to mention the beautiful plating.

For the pasta dishes I tried the Tagliatelle with Chantarelle Mushrooms and Summer Truffle ($30) which was thick and flavourful. The Parma ham Ravioli with Buffalo Mozzarella Cream and Sweet Peas ($27) saw the ham being minced up but still having its usual salty finish.

For the first main course I tried the Pan Roasted Black Cod with Mash Potato and Porcini Mushroom ($37). Cooked lightly, one could taste the fattiness of the cod with each bite.

I also tried the Slow cooked Beef Cheek in Amarone Red Wine Sauce ($38) - loved the melt in the mouth feeling.

Desserts are made in-house, and one dessert to try is the Apple Cake with Vanilla Gelato ($13), which has that nice freshly baked homely taste to it.

For those wanting something lighter to end the meal, do try the pear sorbet, which is thick due to the high level of pear used but is still light on the stomach.

Osvaldo

Chef Osvaldo Forlino has been freed! Formerly the chef at the much-lauded, and very formal, Forlino Restaurant at One Fullerton, Osvaldo is now at liberty to cook the type of food—in exactly the setting—he loves. His new venture is open, airy, casual and, because it is furnished with antiques from his private collection, has a European bistro feel to it.

It’s the perfect setting for the food that comes out of the visible-to-the-dining room kitchen. Nothing is overly-wrought; instead, all dishes are simple and well-prepared with super-fresh ingredients. Case in point, the Salumi platter ($21), which features a variety of cured meats that are ultra-tender, thinly-sliced and full of mouthwatering seasonings. The polenta with cheese fondue and chiodini mushrooms ($19) was wonderfully creamy even if it needed a bit of salt and pepper to up the flavor quotient. Other starters include bruschetta ($12), San Daniele ham with melon ($20), and a rocket salad with shaved parmesan ($13) which could have done with a bit more cheese to go with the yummy leaves.

Any bumps during the starters were completely ironed out come main course time. A porcini mushroom and sausage risotto ($24) had a deep, woodsy flavor enhanced by the shaved-on-the-spot parmesan cheese. Unlike other risottos, this version was prepared al dente, so the grains of Arborio rice retained a bit of texture and nuttiness. The foresty flavors continued with a delicious tagliatelle with wild boar ($23) featuring tender meat and perfectly-cooked noodles. A dish of pansotti (Italian for “pot bellied”) containing super-light pasta formed into triangles around a spinach and ricotta filling tasted as though the spinach had been picked seconds earlier. The desserts were also delish and quite creative including yummy vanilla ice cream served like a pile of spaghetti ($14).

But beyond the appealing food here, what really makes a visit to Osvaldo something you’ll want to repeat is the professional staff and relaxed setting through which Osvaldo himself flitters (along with his sister the hostess and wife who occasionally emerges from the kitchen), beaming diners with his wide smile. A nod must also be given to the friendly and professional wait staff who had the good sense to let us chat our heads off for about an hour with a bottle of wine without rushing us to make a menu choice. Chef Osvaldo clearly feels at home in his new space and—while enjoying his completely-satisfying home-style food, pouring yourself water from the ceramic-corked bottle or olive oil from the mini tin can on the table—you will too. Reservations recommended.

Nice location

Went there after reading the expert review to see if it is that good. Although the ambience is good, it does not feel Italian enough. My impression of the ones in Fienza are mostly short and congested, but the food is good. Such as places like Valentino's. However, maybe the perception for a good restaurant along the CBD is different. For the chef specials, I could hardly understand what were the specials as the waiter took a long time to explain the at least 7 to 8 dishes not on the menu. At the end of his speech, I didn't choose anything because there were too many to remember. Maybe the chef can cut down on the choices. For the food, a real Italian meal. The Antipasti is good, so is the pasta and rabbit. The wine choices are big as they import their own, like how other Italian restaurants are doing, but on the pricey side. Overall, I still would go back and see if changes are made.

Great for families and friends

A fairly new eatery with a casual atmosphere is good for family gatherings or with friends. Relatively empty when I popped by, I tried the recommended capsicum stuffed with anchovy and tuna and was delighted by this interesting starter. Sounds promising. Service was polite.

Best service in the world :)

After reading the raving reviews in numerous magazines, i decided to give ths a try. I was impressed by the cozy and comfortable setting. Really felt at home there. The staff were jovial and helpful. Honestly, I had problems understanding the menu. We had to ask the waitress whateach dish meant, and by the time she told us, I'd forgotten most of it, and ended up ordering on whim instead. The food turned out to be great! I like the way how the waiters knew EXACTLY what each of us have orhdered, and provided the required utensils. We loved the appetiser, with tomato, cued bacon, and lots of mozerella cheese. The desserts are great, though kind of expensive ($10). It is easier to decide on which dessert you want to order, as there is a display shelf at a corner of the resturant with dummy sets. If you're too full, I suggest the sorbet ($4), in either lemon or orange. It's really refreshing! Even though the price is a bit expensive, I would definitely visit again!