L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano has closed.

Reviews for (Closed) L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano

Address: #01-03, Maxwell Chambers, 32 Maxwell Road, 069115
15 Feb 2012

one of the better Italian restaurants around

for pictures:

Zuppa di Pomodori A.Marzano – $16.00++

S.Marzano Tomato Soup

This portion is half of the original as we told the waiters we were sharing and they kindly separated it into 2 for us before serving. I kind of like this idea.

The tomato soup was very fragrant and tasted like it was made from fresh roasted tomatoes.

Mozzarella di Bufala Campana con Pomodori di Sicilia e Melanzane – $26.00++

Buffalo Mozzarella with Sicily Tomato and Eggplant

Again, the portion was halved for us. The buffalo mozzarella has less dairy flavour than the typical cow mozzarella. It not only looks like poached egg, the texture is similar too, soft and squishy.

Rucola con Scaglie di Parmigiano Reggiano – $15.00++

Rocket Salad with Parmigiano Reggiano

This salad was just plain rocket with dressing and parmasen. I like rocket salad so it’s fine for me. The leaves were crisp and fresh.

Tagliolini al Ragu d’Anatra e Caprino – $28.00++

Homemade Tagliolini with Duck Ragout and Goat Cheese

Unfortunately, the 2 pastas I wanted to try out (ravioli and gnocchi) were not available today. The tagliolini was al dente and very springy. I love the texture. Parmasen was grated on the pasta freshly upon serving. The sauce had a distinct goat cheese taste but after a few mouths the taste died down as my palate became accustomed to it. This was alright but I still wished I could try the ravioli or gnocchi.

Spaghetti Freshi con Gamberi Crystal Bay e Pomodoro Fresco – $30.00++

Homemade Spaghetti with Crystal Bay Prawns and Fresh Tomato

I prefer the tagliolini to the spaghetti as the spaghetti seemed to be less springy. The sauce tasted similar to the tomato soup.

Torta di Mele con Gelato alla Vaniglia – $13.00++

Apple Cake with Vanilla Gelato

The cake was moist and warm and paired well with the creamy vanilla gelato. The bunch of berries which look like lingonberries were very sour.

We were given some petit fours after our meal.

More reviews of L'Angolo Ristorante Italiano

Really good food with a relaxing atmosphere

I went to lunch with my brother to L'Angolo. This place has been opened for a couple of months replacing the Osvaldo. I had no expectation of it and that can be a good thing.

I had my baby in a pram and there were a couple of steps to the restaurant. As my brother had no arrived yet, this made things a bit harder. Fortunately, the wait staff was observant and came to help me to carry the pram up the steps. Thumbs up for good service.

When we were given the menus, the waiter advised us that because of Chinese New Year, some dishes were not available as the suppliers were on holidays. This is a good sign as it probably means that food freshness means something to this restaurant.

We had:

Taleggio Cheese spread

We were served bread with a taleggio cheese spread. This was quite unique compared to the normal accompaniment of olive oil. I think the spread had anchovies in it and added another salty dimension to the cheese. Tasty.

Beef Carpaccio with truffles and celeriac salad

The salad had celeriac, rocket and walnuts. The walnuts went well with the earthy flavor of the truffles. I think that the ingredients complemented each other well. The beef could have done with a bit more salt and olive oil.

Homemade ink spaghetti with black cod, green asparagus and lemon flavor

This was my brother's dish. The dish taste like a spring/ summer dish with the green asparagus and lemon flavor. Cod fish is quite a robust fish and is a tougher texture fish like a piece of meat. There is a lovely freshness to this dish. My brother wanted more garlic in the dish. I was alright with it though.

Homemade Spaghetti with crystal bay prawns and fresh tomato

I love the homemade spaghetti. The pasta is freshly "homemade" by the chefs here but it is nothing like amateur stuff. The pasta is springy in texture and picks up the sauce well. The olive oil has a rich orange tone to it, picking up the tomato taste and maybe prawn shells fried in the oil then drained? The cooking technique is just my guess. The olive oil feels thicker and more viscous than normal almost like a reduction. I could lick the plate. Prawns were sweet and flavorful.

Crystal Bay prawns are from Australia (see I have eaten them a few times and always enjoy their sweet flavor. Australia prawns in my opnion are some of the best in the world. When I was in Sydney, even the supermarket cooked prawns would be full of flavor of the sea, both sweet and salty. The prawns here somehow lack the burst of flavor. I think the clean waters in Australia play a difference to the taste. It's like clean air make healthy people.

Cherry Gelati

I was the only one who had dessert. Italian desserts don't really wow me. I was craving for something to end the good meal so decided on gelati. I liked the flavor being cherry but not tasting artificial like cherry can be. It wasn't too sweet or sour and was well balanced. However, the gelati was a bit icy. This dish has a texture problem rather than a flavor one.

I really liked this place. Italian food is done as it should be. Simple flavors with good quality produce that shines. The produce helps the food speak for itself. When produce is good, you need less to prop your dish up.

Plus the service is quite good with the staff noticing when glasses need to be filled and help with the pram. The atmosphere relaxed as its not too fancy.

This place will give the other Italian places in the area a run for their money.

I'm salivating just thinking of eating here again, getting hungry.

For the pictures and other places in Tanjong Pagar, go to Tanjong Pagar Blog

Michele You always made my Day when I see you!

Dear Michele,

Thank you for accommodating me to arrange the large group dinner for my staffs. They loved it very much. Of course they are all happy and drunk. Yes thanks for your Personal Wine collection too.

I must thank Chef Matteo and the wonderful service staffs who made me feel at home every time I visit. Love this place!

Home made Pasta!

The natural lighting in this place is amazing and I enjoy the casual atmosphere, definitely good for a lunch date.

However, I enjoyed more the home-made pasta. But before that, let's talk about the complimentary bread. It was a freshly-baked foccacia, still warm from the oven. It was served with a goats cheese dip that had chives as well as other herbs in it. The bread had a crisp exterior but the fluffiest and softest interior, its saltiness balancing out the creaminess of the goats cheese.

The Spaghetti con Gamberi Crystal Bay e Pomodoro Fresco ($30) was al dente and recommended. It is basically spaghetti in a homemade pomodoro sauce (sweet and herby) with perfectly cooked prawns of a supreme quality.

Cappellacci di Proscuitto con crema di Mozzarella e Piselli ($27) was well executed too, but not as outstanding in my opinion. The ham-filled ravioli resembled chinese dumplings (very cute) but I tasted too much iron and the meat did not taste as fresh as I hoped it would. The dough used to wrap the ravioli was nothing special either. However, buffalo mozzarella cream was not too heavy and complemented the sweet peas, the dish would otherwise have been too complex if other sauces had been used.

The restaurant manager was friendly and the staff is always on the go, five star service. They got me stools for my bag without asking, insisted on pouring the water for me and service was prompt (perfect for the lunchtime office crowd).

Wanted to try out this new restaurant for quite some time already! Went there on 8th July 2011. For photos, please visit thanks!

It has taken over Osvaldo's at Maxwell Chambers!

Complimentary focacia

It was very oily when it was first served to us, though it was hot and really crispy. The oilyness was a little too much though! Subsequently, it wasnt so oily anymore! Guess the oil got reabsorbed or something? 2.5/5

I finished 1 whole serving by myself!! I slathered each slice of the bread with a thick portion of this mousse each time. It was so good that I ate a slice of bread before mains arrived, 2 slices before dessert and 1 slice after dessert!! The bread went really well with the mousse, but I imagine any bread would go! THIS IS AWESOME! WOULD GO BACK JUST FOR THIS! 5/5

Tagliatelle with Chantarelles Mushroom & Summer Truff $30

I felt this dish was really value for money! Look at the amount of truffles they gave! Also, they definitely used truffle oil as well because the truffle smell hits you when they serve you the dish! Each bite you take allows you to taste and smell the wonderful earthy tones of the truffle. The pasta, ohmy the pasta, was cooked PERFECTLY al dente. The texture was one of the best I've eaten in Singapore!

The boy actually ordered this, but gave it to me in the end xD 4.7/5

Seafood Risotto

This was slightly different from your usual seafood risottos. There was a definite spiciness about it, though it wasnt too spicy. There were also mini tomato chunks! The seafood was really fresh and the squid was lightly panfried. The prawns were super fresh and sweet, almost bursting into your mouth cos it was THAT juicy! The fish was perfectly grilled, very soft on the inside! 4.5/5

Lemon Tart with Strawberry Gele' and Pistachio cream

I felt that the lemon tart was really good! The curd wasnt too hard, it was flow-y in fact. It was only a little sour and the tart was hard at all but still maintained a definite crunch. I thought the lemon tart was really good but I dont like pistachio creams (though I love the nut) and thought it didnt go well with the tart (the boy concurred). The strawberry gele' was overpowered by the lemon tart so if you want to taste it, you gotta eat it alone! 4/5

Tiramisu $13

Thought this was value for money too since its such a big portion! This was different from the usual tiramisu in the sense that the ladyfinger biscuits still had some bite to it and wasnt totally soft! Despite this, it was really well soaked with just the right ratio of alcohol:coffee! I loved this texture of the biscuits! The mascarpone cheese was great too! However, the boy and I both felt that they could have given more biscuits! (Maybe cos we're really greedy and we love the biscuits haha) but nonetheless, it was a great rendition of the tiramisu! One of the best we've eaten and trust me, we've eaten quite a lot! 4.7/5

Apple Cake with Vanilla Gelato

WOW. is this dessert. The apple cake is unlike what you imagined it to be like! I expected it to be a crumbly/hard texture kind of cake, but instead it was soft and billowy, like a slightly denser chiffon cake. Really great!! The apple slices were not too much and the aroma of the apples were really brought out. Wonderful apple cake!!! Went really well with the gelato too! 4.8/5

Petit Fours

Liquor-filled cherries (quite a lot of liquor!), meringue with a really yummy cream, choc praline (v good quality choc with some crunchy stuff inside!) 4.3/5

Service was really really good! Everyone was really polite and they really attend to all your needs! Also, normally they'd just ask if you want sparkling or still water, but here they tell you that iced water is available which I think is great! Would definitely go back to try out their other dishes!! Like their cod fish (:

Would really recommend a try to this wonderful restaurant! They were quite packed that night we went! About 90% full? Or maybe 100%! So I suggest you make a reservation before going down!

They also have daily specials which the waitress will tell you! Please note their opening hours!