Lau Phua Chay Authentic Roasted Delicacies

Summary

Excellent Roast Meat!

Got the roast duck, packed to go. The waiting took a while. The meat was deboned and absolutely tasty! My family loves it! This hawker centre has a lot of good food so while waiting, explore the rest.

Most helpful reviews for Lau Phua Chay Authentic Roasted Delicacies

Outstanding teocheow-style char siew!

Food/Drink 4 | Value 3 | Ambience N/A | Service 3

If there is one thing the Teochews are not well known for, it is roasted duck. We are more famous for our braised duck. So when this Teochew ah hia (uncle) told me that his char siew and roast duck were cooked Teochew-style, it threw me off balance.

So what is so special about Teochew-style roast meat? The stall owner explained that Teochews love sweet things. Think orh nee (yam paste) and Teochew bak chang (rice dumplings) which have sweet bean paste in them. Teochew char siew is also much sweeter than usual. He shared that his marinade had bean paste and malt in it. Certainly, the sauce that he liberally poured over the rice was unique. It was pretty lumpy and sweet which suited my palate just fine! The char siew was, undoubtedly, the star of the show. He also serves leaner cuts. There is nothing more sinful and shiok than burnt fat with caramelised sugar! I rate it 4.5/5. Both the sio bak and roast duck here were great but not as outstanding as the char siew and I would rate them 4/5.

More gravy please.

Food/Drink 5 | Value 5 | Ambience N/A | Service 5

Ever since i know this stall, I can't stop myself falling in love with the food. My favorite dish will be the roast duck mixed char siew rice. The rice is topped with roast duck & char siew side by side drizzled with dark rich gravy which i can't resist. I often ask for more serving of the gravy. The char siew has this slight burnt taste with sweetness. The duck meat is soft but well-roasted duck skin. The duck rice is accompanied by a bowl of salted vegetable soup that goes well together.

You wouldn't see nice pictures on menu

Food/Drink 5 | Value 5 | Ambience N/A | Service 5

My title explains it all, the food isn't the best looking visually but it is certainly one of the best tastg around. The stall shows pictures of autographs with celebrity and not the food itself. In short, the roast duck and char siew is almost charred black, the black look is also further enhanced with the black gravy/sauce. I had the triple mix (char siew, seo bah & roast duck) option which cost $5. The seo bah is more to the fatty side, not so much to my liking but overall its an excellent eat. That it comes with a free bowl of soup with real sze chuan vegetables inside is really a plus as well.

Go for it!

Both the char siew rice & roast duck rice are yummy esp with the generous dark sause on them. You can help yourself with the complementary soup. One of the best I've eaten. As is so tasty, you're likely to finish it in no time... big eater may find the portion on the low side though. To top it all, go for the avocado drink just next door...