Back to Maison Ikkoku20 Kandahar Street

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining3 votes

Daniel Martin Gerick
 • 04 Apr 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Maison Ikkoku seems like a fine establishment on the interior, but upon interacting with the staff at the cafe and exploring the menu a bit you may find otherwise, as I did. I asked how much water is used for the aeropress and I was told 160g ... yes grams. 160g of water is exactly the same as 160ml ...

You don't even get that much in the cup because some of the water obviously stays inside of the coffee grounds leaving about 150ml of coffee in the cup, or 4 oz ...

Now, I paid $6 dollars for this cup of coffee, which tasted fantastic. This is not a ridiculous sum for a cup of coffee, however, as in any hospitality situation there must be a sense of value when all is said and done and that I did not have. 4.2oz of coffee is nowhere near enough to give any serious coffee drinker the caffeine buzz they probably walked in the shop to find.

Maison Ikkoku needs to start serving more coffee with an order. 8oz is the minimum I would consider fair and is exactly what most specialty coffee shops serve. Even if they offered an upgrade to 8oz for a couple of dollars it would be more fair but this is just ridiculous. Nobody will pay $12 dollars for their mid-afternoon pick-me-up ... so this business is obviously passing up a lot of business.

Upon addressing the barista about this issue (who was not busy) I was quite rudely snapped at and lectured about policy. Snapping at customers is the absolute wrong response when shilling any premium goods. The classic "service recovery" here is to apologize and offer the manager's card or, in the case of an empowered server, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Never snap or be rude, no matter what.
I have messaged MI's info email address about this issue and until I receive a proper reply I will not be recommending this establishment to anybody.
Final verdict: Maison Ikkoku - half baked menu and undertrained staff.

Trendy

The Ranting Panda
 • 30 Mar 2014 141 reviews 1 follower
Overall
For full review and pics, visit therantingpanda.com

Maison Ikkoku needs no introduction since it is already so well-known among foodies and bunchies. It has been around for years apparently, but I only have the chance to check out this café recently.
I tried the Smoked Salmon Scrambled ($18) which consists of Norwegian smoked salmon as well as the home made Guacamole, which is interestingly Mexican styled avocado based sauce some sort like a salad ingredient as sides. The multigrain bread is huge, as well as the scrambled eggs serving. I thought the scrambled eggs are at most fairly decently done, as in it did not wow me a great deal.

Trendsetter
 • 16 Mar 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I have tried most of the top cocktails bar around the world, including Singapore, but Maison Ikkoku is something that I will strongly recommend for people who love cocktails, they deliver real flavor in the drinks, non pretentious presentations, friendly staff, watching them crafting every single cocktails at the bar like an art, a place where you can meet real people, drinks are very well balance, some even have layered of taste, the mixologist are very professional and well equip with their stuff,

Price are reasonable compare to others cocktails bar that charging the same price but smaller serving, the good thing is they didn't increase the price even after Liquor Tax increment.

Love this place, guarantee a good time, every time!

Must tries: serenity o*****, yuze sour, bloody good mary, truffles maid, smoke goose

After Work, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Anniversary, Birthdays