Back to MEDZS#B2-01, Orchard Central, 181 Orchard Road

Trendy3 votes

mediumrareandothers
 • 28 Oct 2014 29 reviews 0 follower
Overall
We were rushing around Somerset to find a cake for dear mummy, after deciding last minute that another birthday cake before the clock chimes 12 would be another birthday surprise. But, we were running late! It was 9pm when we finally had errands done and had this idea and started hunting.

But the first round around Orchard Gateway and 313 Somerset saw some cafes selling slice cakes, or humongous cakes that you have to ta-bao for many breakfasts the next few days. And, we had already ordered the chocolate cake from Chocolate Origin for a birthday previously, hence it's off the list. Click here for pics & review!

Suddenly, I thought of a recent article I read on a magazine, best rainbow cakes in Singapore. And one of it was Medz. By then, I was so desperate, anything that doesn't look traingularly-sliced will pass. I walked into the one at Orchard Central, and behold! They told me they do sell Rainbow cakes, 500grams and 1kg!

I saw the cakes in the fridge and they looked pretty. The servers told me 1kg costs $64.90 (Off my budget) and 500grams is at $38.90. Great! The frosting was ready in less than hour, (so glad they close at 11pm that day!) and I even got a handwritten birthday wish on the cake itself!

The cake's topping and frosting was done well. In fact, my dog couldn't pull his head away from the cake amid the loud birthday song!

Overall, I would say the cake itself is fragrant and soft, like the usual sponge cake. I wouldn't order for the taste, but for the whimsical colours. I'd definitely give kudos for their friendly service!
  • Rainbow Cake
  • Rainbow Cake

whyshouldi
 • 27 Oct 2014 5 reviews 0 follower
Overall
This is a very strange restaurant. When you step in, the place looks like Marche, with individual counters and cooks in chef's hats cooking behind the counter and the menu written in bright colours on the counter glass. So do you order your food from the counters? No, you go back to your table, pick up a piece of paper with the name of the dishes printed on it (which makes it very hard to match to the items you actually see at the counter), and write down what you want. No one told us how the system worked and for a while, we were just wandering around, lost.

After we ordered with a waiter, he promptly forgot to key in our order. Luckily we found out early when we tried to place another order and asked for a tally of our orders.

The seafood and chicken paella was only edible and the portion was small, and cost $22.90. The Greek seafood stew was described as seafood in a creamy sauce but the seafood came swimming in a lake of melted butter that was so jelat, we had to remove the the seafood from the platter before it got contaminated by more butter. The rosti with cheddar cheese came served topped with two slices of processed sliced cheese. Like Kraft cheese! Even if the packet of processed sliced cheese says it's cheddar cheese, I don't expect to be served supermarket food at a restaurant, especially with prices like these ($9.90 for rosti with "cheddar" cheese). And the rosti looked suspiciously burnt.

The atmosphere was really quite strange too. When we walked in, classical music was playing loudly over the speakers, and when we left, rock music was playing.

Never again.

• Rosti that looked burnt, topped with "cheddar" cheese
  • Rosti that looked burnt, topped with "cheddar" cheese

jacqsowhat
 • 12 Oct 2014 41 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Medzs is offering Dominio del Plata wines from Argentina, by wine maker Susana Balbo. Dominio del Plata is characterized by its simple and unique design, intended to produce high quality wines. There are four major brands produced by Dominio del Plata: Crios, BenMarco, Susana Balbo, and Nosotros. Rainbow cake was as usual great, pork belly was a recommended dish. We had rosti as well which we can't decide Medzs or Marche. Full review of wine description n dishes here: http://jacqsowhat.blogspot.sg/2014/10/wine-appreciation-n-food-medzs-orchard.html

Must tries: Pork Belly