Reviews for Mei Xiang Black & White Fish Soup

AsianChinese

Good Fish Soup at Jalan Berseh!

I have been patronising this stall for many years.

They are located on the second floor of Jalan Berseh Hawker Centre.

The name of the stall is rather misleading... Black and White Fish Soup... What it means is that there are two types of fish in your soup: Fried fish and sliced fish (non fried). The two types of fish are cooked together in a stock before serving to you.

The soup has a strong ginger taste and scooping the bottom of the bowl yielded shredded minced ginger.

Each set comes with a bowl of rice and a dipping saucer of minced chilli. Extra chilli will cost yu an additional $0.50.

The prices has also gone up since the last time I came. A standard bowl of fish soup with rice now costs $5.50. The portion is quite substantial and I have seen 2 ladies share a bowl of soup and they just order an additional bowlof rice.

Caution: Eating this in the hawker centre will leave you dripping in sweat... so do choose a nice breezy corner when choosing a place to sit and dine.

Recommended!
• 23 Feb 2015 • 455 reviews • 4 followers

Good Fish Soup at Jalan Berseh!

Overall
I have been patronising this stall for many years.

They are located on the second floor of Jalan Berseh Hawker Centre.

Recommended!
  • Store Front
• 02 May 2012 • 82 reviews • 5 followers

Not the healthiest but darned tasty

Overall
For full writeup and pics please go to www.thenewadventuresofoldelis.blogspot.c om.

I love fish soup. My usual haunt is Han Kee at Amoy but B and I have been trying to check out alternative places for our fish soup fix. I was on leave that afternoon, so with time (minus stress) in my favor, we decided to check at Mei Xiang Black & White fish soup at Jalan Besar market. They are only open from Mon to Fri and closed weekends and public holidays, so..

We got there at 11.50am, just before the snaking queue formed - scores!

This fish soup stall is quite quirky. There's a huge clock hung up to show that they are open at EXACTLY 11.12am everyday. Interesting how there were these huge black fans against the otherwise white stall decor too. They are famous for the mix of fresh ("white") and fried ("black") fish slices soup mix. I asked if I could only have "white" and they flatly said no. Hmph.

Food nazist aside, the fish soup was indeed good! Fish and prawns were fresh and the soup was very flavorful. Though a tad oily and not the most healthy - we slurped our bowls dry. Would I return?

Yes, probably. But it's a bit out of the way though, so perhaps on the next day off.