Review for Momiji Japanese Buffet Restaurant (City Square)

2.6

AsianJapanese
Address: #05-04/05/06, City Square Mall, 180 Kitchener Road, 208539
22 Apr 2014
Overall

A good jap buffet at reasonable prices

There are many Jap buffet but this makes the mark as serving good food with good value. Food: sashimi is salmon, squid and prawns. It is the only place where I can enjoy the said sashimi because it is fresh and crisp. The salmon sashimi is also tasty save served on large lots.

Food:  Fresh and the best selection of sushi I've seen in any buffet.  Prawns, fish, squid sushi.  The outstanding items were the shabu shabu hot pot, with pork with a very tasty soup stock.  I usually don't eat the prepared dishes in a Japanese buffet because you'll feel stuffed after it.  I had the salads,  sushi, sashimi (squid and salmon), large prawns boiled in the shabu shabu stock and then went on to dessert.  The best part of the dessert is the quality Haagen Das icecream - 6 tubs of it:  green tea, rum raisin, and walnut.  Delicious.  The green teat mochi was memorable with soft skin and delicious green tea/cream filling.

Value:  I went on a eve of public holiday and had to pay a higher tier price but normal days lunch for seniors is a very good deal.

Service:  Pleasant, mainly Singaporean servers and clearers.

Ambience:  Top floor of City Square with lots of places and space to enjoy your food.

More reviews of Momiji Japanese Buffet Restaurant

YUMMY

love this place, great food and service! MUST TRY AND ITS SO GOOD WITH HAAGEN DAAZ ICE CREAM AND NOW THEY HAVE WAFFLES TOO. Great place to hangout. best outlet in north point and must try the restaurant there:)

disappointing

All that was worth it in this buffet was the crab legs, the grilled prawn and scallop and the ice cream. Thats all. Variety wise, was limited. Place was very noisy. The display of the sushi was pretty bad too, making the sushi look stale and unappetizing. Dont even try the fried food. It may have been ok to try on a weekday but on a weekend night at ~50 person, its not worth it at all.

Biggest disappointment in 2015

Poor seating layout, poor variety of food, poor quality of food and terribly poor service.

Examples. I arrived at 645 placed my clips for the teppanyaki. At 8pm my clips are still in the queue virtually unmoved. Best joke of all, I chose the dish with the least clips to shorten the wait time. Replenishment of the Japanese sashimi was alarmingly slow. Thanks to the kiasu eaters in the restaurant, each item placed onto the shelf was quickly snatched up.  This means I hardly had a chance to get the item of my choice. Maybe I am just to civiliized.  The table next to me was just served their teppanyaki. If I am not mistaken they were here way in advance of me. By the way, their supposed fish looked like it was suffering from malnutrition according to my wife.

To be fair the waffle wad decent, that is if u can be bothered to brave 20 minutes of tussling with hordes of hungry fellas.

Massive disappointment considering we paid 90 plus for two pax including tax. Betcha I can get better value elsewhere.

In case u r wondering,  I am indeed writing this scathing review at the dinner table.

Of before I forget, the lady next table had her shabu spilt on her. The flame was alight under her shoes but she did not realise. Don't seem to recall hearing an apology.

That's all folks.
Overall

Don't waste time on crappy food

Imagine paying nearly $40 per person for a dinner that leaves you wondering why....

The quality of the food was terrible. Powdery prawns,  tasteless chawanmushi, soggy shishamo fish, and the list goes on.

The highlight of the meal was the waffle which we made ourselves and the ice cream which was Häagen-Dazs.

Don't waste your time or your money eating here. You'll leave very disappointed.

Lousy buffet

A friend recommended to us Momiji at the Balestier outlet, but we decided to go to the one at the City Square outlet. I don't get what's the big deal about this buffet. It's the most atrocious buffet I have ever had. Cooked food: (1) Chicken yakitori was covered with sticky and glooey teriyaki sauce that was too sweet. Tori Q's beat Momiji's hands down. (2) skewered items such as scallops were tasteless and cold (3) Fried items such as prawn tempura, fried chicken wings, tonkutsu were mediocre. The prawns in the prawn tempura were too small, so you are eating mostly batter. (4) fried rice-ok only. It wasnt even garlic rice. (5) hokkien mee or some noodles cooked in the way of hokkien mee, didnt touch it, looked yucky (6) hotpot, which I thought should be the main draw of the buffet, was served in individual pot and was pathetic. The beef slices that came with it were not fresh, and the soup was meh, and not sure whether it was collagen soup or not. (6) cold seafood- alaskan crab claw- tasteless. The only thing edible to me was the raw salmon. I took the ones they just cut and put on top of the older ones, cos that's what most people did, they took the ones on top, so that what's at the bottom are the ones not so fresh. (7) mochi desserts-2 flavours- skin was too soft and did not have the chewy texture (8) cakes - cheese cake (too soft), choc cake and other assorted cakes- tasteless (9) Haagen Daz ice cream- 4 different flavours and they were the only thing good about this buffet. Service was non-existent. No one cleared our used plates. Onother thing that was a put off was that you can see them preparing the cooked grilled food in the kitchen and see the raw food just near to the cooked food area. Would never come here again. Should have gone to Astons or Pizza Hut for dinner, which would have been more satisfying. Didnt take pictures cos the food looked unappetizing.