Back to Mookata103 East Coast Road

Supper3 votes

Websterlkc
 • 18 Mar 2014 18 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Mookata is Thai style BBQ, it is ala-carte not buffet style. We have order 4 person set meal has included chicken & pork meats, pork liver, prawn, squid, fish ball and etc. All chicken & pork meats was cut into small piece and disorder shape, it make difficult for us to roast the meat.

We use 2 piece of pork oil smear on surface of copper pot and then roasted our meal on top. The meat taste just average, it's nothing special. It might be meat sauce has been leak out into the pot water, cause the copper pot is made in curve surface. It also make soup taste oily. The shop has provided a special sauce, it is fresh and sweet, it advance the meat taste and reduce oily feeling.

The environment most like hawker center, but has oily smell around the restaurant. The staff service is not bad, the staff is humorous and quick service. You have wait typically in dinner hour, it is always has a queue for this restaurant.

Please visit my food blog SGMY

Must tries: chili sauces

BBQ

John Cheong
 • 28 Nov 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Poor service. Difficult to get staff attention. Items on menu not available. Staff has plenty of contradicting excuses!

Overall food still ok. But the service turns me off!

candy girl
 • 23 Mar 2013 122 reviews 3 followers
Overall
For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

We parked at Odeon Katong as we couldn't find any parking nearer to Mookata and took a quick stroll over. Mookata is opposite the relatively new I12 Katong, a few doors away from Astons.

The place was warm and stuffy as the heat from the charcoal pot filled the shop. You could practically feel the oil in the air and everything was kind of oily, from the table to the chair. Mookata did fix an exhaust above each table so that the oil can be rapidly removed but it did not help too much I guess.

After waiting a long while, we were served. The charcoal pot had a metal grill in the center surrounded by a moat of clear soup. This arrangement is really interesting because the oil and essence from the grilled meat simply flowed into the soup below. This made the soup very tasty but also very oily towards the end. We ordered lots of mushrooms, vegetables, pork belly, chicken thigh, fish and streaky bacon. I would highly recommend the pork belly because it was so well marinated and tender. The chicken thigh was really good too, soft and juicy. Grilling food over charcoal is indeed different from the usual electric grill because the charcoal just makes the food taste so much better!

Service was a little slow but a lady came by and apologized profusely about the slow pace halfway through our meal. Apparently her managers were not working that day, so they were a little short handed and everything was moving slower.

Must tries: pork belly