04 Nov 2014 • 391 reviews • 3 followers
If you are hankering after dim sum from the 60's or if you want to bring your parents to reminisce dim sum from the 60's, you can visit Mouth Restaurant for the new ' Nostalgic Canton Dim Sum' which is a 9 course dim sum menu specially created and only available from now till Jan 2015.
It cost $24.80++ per pax with a minimum of 4 pax.
Here are the dishes that we savoured:
1) Dumplings in Double-Boiled Winter melon Chicken Soup:- Birdnest and Chicken minced meat:
Served as a green dumpling in the soup. Wished there was more bird nest in it, so I can taste the bird nest. Good for ladies!
- Hashima and Crabmeat
: Orange dumpling. Chockful of crabmeat. Awesome flavour.
2) Steamed Chicken Siew Mai with mushroom, asparagus, turnip and wolfberry
: Presentation was nice. I found the asparagus too fibrous and wished they had removed the skin of the asparagus. Else it was ok.
3) Steamed Hairy Gourd with Minced Chicken Meat, Water Chestnut and Conpoy in Oyster Sauce
: Hairy gourd as a base and topped with minced chicken mix. This reminded me of my early childhood, when my mum prepared this dish at home. Great memories!
4) Steamed 3 Colors Crystal Dumpling in 3 Flavours
: Good presentation, each person had 1 type of 'colored' dumpling served in a dim sum container.
- The clear dumpling had straw mushrooms and ham, The orange dumpling had diced button mushrooms and the green dumpling had egg white, crab meat and truffle oil.
The green dumpling was the best!
5) Deep Fried Taro-Coated Prawn in Blended Oyster Sauce
: Fresh prawns coated with mash yam and deep fried till crispy. Very good. The oyster sauce that went it had diced mushrooms and scallions in it and complimented the prawns and taro.
6) Deep Fried Dumpling with Fresh Prawn & Char Siew in Sweet & Sour Sauce
: Think wanton served with sweet and sour fried prawns and char siew. The wantons were crispy and went well with the sauce. The serving of the prawns and char siew was also like an 'ala carte' order. Good sized portions.
7) Pan Fried Glutinous Rice with Chicken Meat & Mushroom in XO Sauce
: You know lotus leaf glutinous rice with fillings? This is now pan-fried and served with XO sauce on the side. It was crispy on the outside and the inside fillings included the usual salted egg, diced mushrooms and stewed meat. Eating with XO sauce gave it a different dimension. Not bad!
8) Braised Beancurd Skin Roll with Chicken Meat, Mushroom, Fish Maw and Luncheon Meat
: My favourite dish for the meal. Instead of plain steaming, this was served in a superior stock, which tasted like 'cream of chicken soup'. Excellent, and unlike the ones you get at other dim sum restaurant. Must-try!
9) Legendary Baked Cream of Salted Egg Yolk Bun:
Baked instead of the usual steamed ones you get at other restaurants. Very yummy!
The meal was very filling, despite my lunch kakis' worry that being dim sum, the food will not be enough to fill their stomachs. We left the restaurant very full!