Review for Open Door Policy

BeerEuropeanWesternWine
Address: 19 Yong Siak Street, 168650

22 Jul 2014

Yummmyyy!

Open Door Policy, or simply ODP, has been open for just over a year now, and much to my great displeasure, it was only last week that I finally made it down, just in time for not only the arrival of Open Door Policy's new menu, but also its great new Italian Chef.   Having heard some wonderfully positive reviews, and others...less positive, I approached the meal with an open mind. Considering Open Door Policy is under the same guys who run Tippling Club and Ding Dong, surely this would be a winner as well.   Arriving on a weekday lunch the place was already rammed (a good sign) and I must admit that I found the narrow shophouse setting with an open skylight allowing light to pour in through the ceiling greatly appealing.......
Read the full article with images on City Nomads:

More reviews of Open Door Policy

Simply Souffle

This chocolate pistachio souffle was light & chocolaty. A few minutes of waiting time but it was worth it. The pistachio sponge was soft and fluffy. Drizzled with cream, it was not overly sweet and not heavy. Quite well executed and one of the better ones I have eaten.
Overall

Overpriced and average quality, this place used to be great, sadly no more.

This used to be one of my favourite brunch spots. Went today, and wow have things changed and for the worse. Firstly the price has gone up hugely, the "English Breakfast" is $32 ++! And compared to somewhere like The Study, which has a similar English Breakfast at $19, the quality are portion size fairly is miles behind The Study

The quality of the food all in all has taken a nose dive. The food is ok, but nothing special, certainly not worth the price. Would avoid, there are far better places nearby. The food has definitely lost the "wow" this place used to have.

Wonderful food!

My boyfriend and I had an absolutely wonderful meal here! It was not a cheap meal but everything we ordered was fantastic! We shared the crab cakes for starters that were done to perfection. I had the kangaroo fillet, which was cooked to perfection and extreamly tender. Just as good as any steak I've ever had! My boyfriend had the taglierini and it also divine. The size of the dishes are not big, but the quality is high and they are delicious! For drinks, he had the Apfelspritz (not sure if that is correct spelling) and I had the citrus drink. They were great and our wines were also very good. The only thing we did not love was the chocolate pistachio souffle for dessert. The souffle was done to perfection, but neither of us could taste pistacho in it and it was coloured green with food colouring artifically which just made it essentially a good tasting chocolate souffle that was coloured green rather than a pistachio souffle. I understand that this meal would be expensive for a brunch, but for a fancy romantic dinner it was wonderful! We found the service also excellent and did not wait long at all for our fantastic meals, about 20-25 mins for our starter and 10 mins for our mains after that. All the staff was friendly and attentive as well!.

Lovely!

click for the entire review
Usually i am not a big fan of bistro food but i really loved the food at Open Door Policy, the food here was very innovative and tasty. Among all the dishes we had, i personally loved the Guacamole risotto and Crab Cake and dessert the best, while the rest were well-done as well. Service was efficient, very relax and homme ambiance. Really want to try their weekend brunch next time, the green curry eggs benedict looks drooling!
Overall

A Great Lunch at ODP – Tiong Bahru!

It’s been some time since I last visited. I heard that the restaurant has new additions to their menu and I came by with my colleague for lunch.

We were hungry and ordered quite a few dishes to try.

Starters

- Crab Cakes: $20. These were decent sized, which is good for 4! Its packed full of crab meat and nothing else. Its coated with breadcrumbs before being deep fried. Its served with pea salad tossed with sauce gribiche and mint oil. The pea salad was interesting, as it has a nice crunch. It reminds me a lot of a coleslaw, with a celery taste.

- Spicy Lamb Spring Rolls: $20. This has a bit of Morrocan feel to it. Minced spiced lamb wrapped in a spring roll and deep fried. Its served with dollops of yoghurt and avocado,  and  fresh salsa. Loved the presentation. Good sized portions!

- Warm Octopus Terrine: $21. The octopus leg is sous-vide into a terrine, sliced thinly and layered on a plate with a drizzle of preserved lemon dressing. Its then garnished with garlic and parsley potatoes, cherry tomatoes and Romanesco. The octopus were really tender and tasty with the dressing. Really good.  Must-order!

- Guacamole Risotto: $20. Interesting, a avocado-guacamole risotto, with yoghurt and poached free range hen’s egg. The egg had an orange yolk, which the staff said only comes with free range eggs. Its really yummy. Must-try!

Mains

- Braised Beef cheek; $32. Sou-vide cooked, and served with black truffle mash, roasted mushroom and red wine jus. Beef was tender and came apart easily when I dug in. Tasty and yummy. Recommended!

- Roast Barramundi: $26. Loved the presentation. Two pieces of barramundi pan roasted and placed in a granite bowl atop a bed of wasabi flavoured mash potato, shimeji mushrooms, sea asparagus and lotus root. Hot dashi gauzzetto is provided that you pour into the bowl. On the side is fried sago sprinkled with shiso pepper that you can add to the soup for added spice. Fish is fresh and everything came together well. Nice!

- Kangaroo Fillet: $34. The kangaroo loin was cooked sous-vide and grilled. Served with roast brussel sprouts, pine nuts with bacon and baby onions, sautéed warrigal greens and vinegar jus. The meat doesn’t feel gamey at all. The pine nuts with bacon is also good.

Dessert

- Espresso Espuma: $18. Its really light. It has brownie cookies at the bottom and a buckwheat caramel bar on the top of the glass. Ladies will love this. Must-try!

- Passionfruit & Chocolate Tart: $18. The Guayaquil’s bitter ganache has passionfruit reduction within and on the plate. There’s also pop candy in the tart which gave a nice tingling feeling when you eat it. Unique and delicious. The reduction is really tart and gives a good balance to the rich dessert. Try it!

Also tried the Bloody Mary Cocktail with bacon. I had to order this when I learnt there was bacon with this cocktail. Its spicy. Now, this is a drink that you can bite, chew and drink all at the same time!

No regrets dining here and we had a good time.

Highly recommended!