Back to Othello's Cafe-Bar12 Greenwood Avenue

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining3 votes

A
 • 04 Mar 2013 408 reviews 11 followers
Overall
Our intended bakery was closed when we arrived so we had to search for another place for dinner. After walking up and down the stretch of restaurants, we finally settled for Othello’s as it opened till late.

We spent some time deciding our order and once it’s out of the way we were served complimentary bread with olive oil and chopped garlic. Being hungry we wolfed down the soft and fluffy bread.

K’s pan-seared salmon fillet (pan-seared salmon with wasabi mash, onion marmalade, tomato confit and light soya dressing $20) was flaky and juicy. The light seasoning also brought out the freshness of the fish.

My lamb shank (tender braised lamb shank served with mashed potato and vichy carrots $22) was fork-tender and the meat was deeply flavored without much gaminess. I was thankful there’s sufficient veggies (carrots, long beans and onions) to counter this heavy meat dish. The creamy mashed potato was suitably buttery and very smooth.

Both of us were enamored with the wasabi mashed potato ($5) that we ordered it as a side. We totally digged it due to the kick of the wasabi, which was intense enough to stimulate our tastebuds as well as nasal cavities.

Our first choice of dessert (vanilla crème brûlée) was sold out so we had apple crumble (with vanilla ice cream $12) instead. Served with an assortment of berries, the stewed apple was delectably soft, a nice contrast to the crunchy pine nuts and crumble. The sweet-sour combo of the dessert was also refreshing.

Service was attentive and obliging. Our warm water was refilled a couple of times and a staff even went around asking for permission before turning the TV volume up for a soccer match.

Note: No service charge but 7% GST applies.
 Total damage: $63.13

rickjames
 • 17 Feb 2013 5 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Good Eggs Benedict- the canadian bacon had a gorgeous smoky taste to it...very good. The hollandaise had a touch of lemon in it..not too much= it was perfect actually. Honestly it was one of the best EB that I"ve had in Singapore and for only $14..can't beat that price. But a warning= it comes with one EB and one Eggs Florentine with Salmon...I didn't realize that so if you only like one and not the other, please let the waiter know. I didn't and received the eggs florentine w/ salmon which I don't care for- I just gave it to my friend.

I will return here to dine..it's not expensive..it's a general, across the board type of Western food- nothing fancy- just casual and the prices are very affordable for Singpaore.

Alvin Ow
 • 26 Jan 2013 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Stepping into Otellos made me feel like we were blacks in the era of colonial times where non-whites were not allowed into restaurants or dining areas, whether you had the money or not.

Firstly, we were being bypassed of our orders although we ordered before an European couple. Secondly, we had to wait like eons before we can have our condiments such as salt and pepper, in stark contrast to another English couple beside us who not only have the good fortune of being asked how their food has been, but also immediate service to pack the remaining food for their pet dog!!!

The egss benedict itself was not really that great just passable, but the entire environment makes dining there unbearable. And mind you, the place wasn't exactly cheap since its located in Greenwood itself, but service is racist in nature.

Would advise all non-Caucasians not to patronize this place, you won't want to feel like a second class citizen in your own country.