Review for Pique Nique (Ngee Ann City)

2.8

AmericanDessertsWestern
Address: #B1-01/02, Ngee Ann City, 391A Orchard Road, 238873
12 Sep 2012

tolerable experience

i visited pique nique several months ago and was absolutely thrilled by the fact that their menu sported a variety of "mac & cheese" dishes. i recall ordering the carbonara mac & cheese as well as a maple syrup waflfe with ice cream - both of which i enjoyed a lot.

today, i returned to pique nique and was rather disappointed that the 'mac n cheese' menu was gone! instead, there was only petit mac & cheese and a mac & cheese with chicken ( i think ). in any event i had the regular carbonara which wasn't all that bad in the end. cream wasn't too heavy and the poached egg atop the speghetti was done pretty well.

my friend had a breakfast burger. the fries were burnt, as was the bacon. otherwise the burger was alright. the veg on the side was tad bitter though.

we ordered the salted caramel waffle for dessert. i was looking forward to this but when it arrived i was rather let down. the waffle was sort and mushy in the middle, and tasted somewhat like mildly sweet bread from the neighbourhood bakery. edges were clearly not crispy and the whole waffle deflated towards the middle - it was that 'soft'.

i would've rated this restaurant a little better except that the service was poor. the staff were not attentive. they were pre-occupied with their phones, or with talking amongst one another, or with playing 'pat a cake' games with each other. very unprofessional. on top of that, they were rude and clearly reluctant to do their jobs. also, the seats were full of crumbs.

i was very disappointed with the service.

More reviews of Pique Nique

slightly disappointed

I had pretty high hopes for this place since it was opened by the revered ex pastry chef of Les Amis Group. I like the concept of an american bistro style place, which is quite rare here in Singapore.

We got a table for 2 quickly enough on a Friday evening, probably because I was there before 7. While waiting for Elvis, I started off with an iced tea. Or should I say iced lemon tea. As I wasn't precise enough, the young waiter came back and asked me if i wanted an iced tea or a iced lemon tea. Hmm. My bad for confusing him. I scanned through the menu while waiting for Elvis.

Debating between a burger and a hotdog, I eventually settled for the former, choosing the Maryland crab cake burger. Elvis got the burger with mushrooms (Shrooms). We also got Whoopie fries, and a brownie to share. We changed the fries that accompanied our burger to a salad. Initially, we wanted to pay extra and change the fries to Whoopie fries instead, but this was not allowed. Which kind of made me expect the Whoopie fries to be really special. However, they turned out to be just fries doused in a mix of spices. Taste wise its not bad, but not super fantastic either. The crab cake burger was pretty good, I like it, though it could come with abit more sauce.

The brownie was bad. At least to me. The texture was really strange, almost as though they minced up the brownies and shaped them into squares. They fall apart when I stabbed my fork into it. Fail!!!!!!!!!!! I bake alot myself, and I really don't think this is how normal brownies (or american ones) should be like. Despite of these hit and misses, the place won me over with chirpy staff and friendly service. I will give it another shot, perhaps try out their other pretty cakes displayed at the counter.

High tea

This place is a casual dining place located at ngee ann city that focuses on tea time snacks and desserts. They do offer proper set menus here but if you are feeling hungry or have a large appetite, you might not be able to eat to your hearts contents here. Despite so, they do offer some fairly good sandwiches and waffles and cookies but their drinks like coffee is at the most average. It is still a nice and quiet place within the buzz of ngee ann city for customers to pop in and take a break and have a snack or two. Would recommend to patronise this place at tea time but that's about all that I can go.

bad food, bad service

Awful service. Sauces did not come despite repeated request for over 15mins. Staff were free and standing ard. In the end, customers had to self service and staff just stood there doing nothing.   They seemed to be out of more than half the menu. They claimed they ran out of meatball and cheese so that rendered more than half the menu void. Customers were not informed prior to entering, until they placed their order.   Staff barely spoke english and it was very difficult to catch what they were saying.   Pasta portion was so small it made a happy meal look good. And it was three times the price of a happy meal.   Fries came soaked in oil like fries that had been refried too many times.   Do not patronise. We left feeling very dissatisfied.
Overall

fantastic service, great velvet cupcake!

A bit overdue but thank you to the wonderful team of waitresses that made my fiancée's birthday morning great! :) thanks for the birthday song on that quiet June 8th morning!

Also fabulous red velvet cupcake, one of the best we've had.
Overall

Peanut Butter Jelly Milkshake!!

I haven't tried their pastries but i would recommend the Bacon Carbonara. It's not amazing but i think it's worth a try. What i like most about Pique Nique is their Peanut Butter Jelly milkshake.